FORUMS: list search recent posts

Conspiracy or Stupidity?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter Wiley
Conspiracy or Stupidity?
on Jun 25, 2011 at 4:40:14 am

A theme that runs through much of the reaction to FCP X is that Apple has decided to ditch/abandon the professional community for prosumers and that FCP X's similarity to iMovie etc. I wonder if such were the case why they bothered with the FCP X development process -- which certainly cost a great deal of time and effort -- at all. Why not stick with iMovie or express?

Someone once said "Never explain by conspiracy what can be explained by stupidity." Anyone who ever worked in or observed a large organization like Apple knows that sometimes groupthink takes over and things just go pear shaped as a result. I think the whole business smacks of internal corporate politics more than anything else. Apple just screwed up here and went down the wrong path, so far down it with so many resources that no one inside had the courage to state the obvious after so many years of work.

As evidence, I offer the Apple website. Read the promotional material on FCP X carefully. Who is it designed to speak to? I don't think it speaks well to ANY of the potential users of the program. I think the marketing folks were given a product they I have no real idea how to sell. They have no idea because the thing is a mess and some in Apple knew it and know it now. The main points:

1) "Fluid editing"? What is that?

2) "Powerful media organization" The justification for dumping the server product, I guess, but is that a powerful selling point for "prosumers"?

3) "Incredible Performance"? So it's faster than the last one, ok, fine.

4) "Together in one app"? Who cares, except perhaps for the folks who thought the project had to be shoe-horned into the App Store model.

Are these points really the best case Apple could make for a supposedly revolutionary piece of software? It's nonsense that been written for no one in particular. A revolutionary manifesto? I think not. I mean they can't really explain why anyone would want "magnetic" editing. Can anyone see a kid with a DSLR all that worried about managing keywords? It's almost as if marketing really don't know how to sell it.

Apple does so many things so well that people want to assume that they must have some clever plan or strategy -- or conspiracy to see it they way some commentators have. It's also just possible that they've just screwed up because the hired the wrong people to do the work and they did the wrong thing and didn't understand it, at least until the last couple of days.

As evidence, look at their PR strategy in the last two days. There isn't one. They best they could do was set David Pouge up with some nameless product managers in a clumsy attempt at damage control, nameless because by now I bet they don't want their names associated with the foul-up this has become and because it's may not be clear, even inside Apple, who's in charge.

It looks more like stupidity than conspiracy to me.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Conspiracy or Stupidity?
on Jun 25, 2011 at 5:15:15 am

[Peter Wiley] "It looks more like stupidity than conspiracy to me."

You make a good point. I wonder if Apple has the smarts to learn from its mistakes with this almost-useless product?

It's not to late to put FCP 7 product support back on the web site, y'know. That simple act would go a long way to stem its current customers' highly-justified vitriol.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jun 25, 2011 at 6:21:46 am

They should take a clue from the "new" coke debacle. There's still time to release Final Cut Pro "classic."

Return to posts index

Scott Thomas
on Jun 25, 2011 at 6:39:55 am

[Bret Williams] "They should take a clue from the "new" coke debacle. There's still time to release Final Cut Pro "classic.""

Was Apple trying to make Final Cut "Sweeter" to compete with Pepsi? :)

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jun 25, 2011 at 8:02:26 am

[Dave LaRonde] "It's not to late to put FCP 7 product support back on the web site, y'know. That simple act would go a long way to stem its current customers' highly-justified vitriol."

It's not too late to admit a mistake; if Apple would just say "oops," it can still avoid a shameful stain on the company's good name.

BTW, for those keeping track, my use of the word "oops" above was in fact inspired by Mr. LaRonde in a conversation we had on Friday. Both Dave and myself remain appalled by Apple's decision to kill FCP 7.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

Don't miss my new tutorial: Prepare for a seamless transition to FCP X and OS X Lion
http://library.creativecow.net/weiss_roth_david/FCP-10-MAC-Lion/1

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

Peter Wiley
on Jun 25, 2011 at 11:30:49 am

[Dave LaRonde] "It's not to late to put FCP 7 product support back on the web site, y'know"

I very much hope that's what will happen. It would be a very good, fairly low-cost, first step in the way of mending fences with a number of editors and production companies. I've seen a petition asking for this. Apple, however, is a lot like the cat described by George Carlin (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nzvm8k5kSjs at 3:00) who won't accept blame and who, after running into a glass door saunters off as if to say "I meant that I meant that, that's exactly how I wanted that to look"

A better, albeit un-catlike, step would be an "Open Letter to the Post-Production Community" from a named source at Apple that roadmaps the product in adult language that goes beyond "It's coming it's coming" though a NYTimes columnist.

Return to posts index

Sascha Engel
on Jun 25, 2011 at 1:11:22 pm

Hi Dave,

first time I see you around after all the FCP X fuss started.
What do you think of all that?

Sascha

Return to posts index

Scott Thomas
on Jun 25, 2011 at 5:17:49 am

[Peter Wiley] "It looks more like stupidity than conspiracy to me."

I wrote a comment in an earlier thread about this. I'm more on the conspiracy side.

Several years ago I heard about an agreement between Apple and Autodesk that basically stated that Apple promised not to go after the high-end post market. That was the vector Apple was on, as evidenced by their many purchases of high-end tools.

Now today we have Autodesk Smoke and AutoCAD on the Mac and Apple's retreat from the professional post market. I don't believe this to be a coincident.

Perhaps the FTC would be interested in this?

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jun 25, 2011 at 6:35:05 am

If a company could have that power over Apple, it would be Adobe. And Apple could have cared less. It almost seems like Apple has dared Adobe to pull it's apps. So I don't see them worried about Smoke, etc. They certainly aren't going to sell more Mac pros with either the conspiracy or stupidity, so it must be stupidity. These are the people that brought us the cube, the hockey puck mouse, and the original MacBook air.

Return to posts index

Scott Thomas
on Jun 25, 2011 at 9:10:23 pm

[Bret Williams] "If a company could have that power over Apple, it would be Adobe. And Apple could have cared less. It almost seems like Apple has dared Adobe to pull it's apps. So I don't see them worried about Smoke, etc. They certainly aren't going to sell more Mac pros with either the conspiracy or stupidity, so it must be stupidity. These are the people that brought us the cube, the hockey puck mouse, and the original MacBook air."

I don't think the exchange between Apple and Autodesk is adversarial. I think to Apple, having them port Smoke and AutoCAD over is a huge win. Apple gives a little ground to have a large developer bring over some of their biggest products.

While I think Adobe and Avid may benefit, I don't think they were in Apple's mind.

When I look back on the history of the Final Cut Studio, I see it as a response to Avid and Adobe's move away from the Mac to Windows in the late 90's. Avid was unhappy with the direction Apple was going with Copland and basically told Apple that they weren't going to code for it. They then ported Media Composer to Windows and pushed that. Adobe was moving their app development to prioritize Windows. There are other Apple-Adobe spats like the one over Display Postscript and Flash. Remember when Quicktime had Flash built into it? That ended about the same time Adobe bought Macromedia.

Return to posts index

Jean-François Robichaud
on Jun 25, 2011 at 5:40:46 am

Very good theory. Sounds plausible.

Return to posts index

Clayton Burkhart
on Jun 25, 2011 at 9:06:37 am

Clearly the omission of so many aspects of pro editing is a subject of debate, but the lack of inclusion of Apple Color in any way shape or form without a doubt speaks volumes about where the boat is turning. The only way it could not be EOL is if they released a standalone version like Compressor and Motion at a later date.

Anyone who has done any pro grading at all, with control surfaces would say this is a strategy. There is no way professional grading could be done in a sophisticated manner for large scale projects with the new tools that are provided by FCPX. So glaring an emission in the post workflow would suggest "conspiracy" if that is how you want to put it.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Jun 25, 2011 at 11:12:44 am

I wouldn't mind the loss of Color if you could actually export to Resolve!

Steve Connor
Adrenalin Television

Have you tried "Search Posts"? Enlightenment may be there.

Return to posts index

Phil Hoppes
on Jun 25, 2011 at 11:44:37 am

Guys, you are all missing the point and taking this far too personal.

This is neither stupidity nor conspiracy. This is a very well thought out strategy that, if you stop and look how Apple has consistently performed as a company, makes perfect sense.

1) Apple and in particular, Steve Jobs, knows that the way you maintain profit and dominate market share in any business is you first have to be willing to create new markets and be willing, if necessary, to "eat your own" in order to make the next leap in volume sales.

2) No business is successful trying to be all things to all people.

3) Creating the best product possible in a shrinking niche market is the antithesis to point 1 above.

This is all about business not about keeping everyone in an existing customer base happy. Three to four years ago, (not the 2 being thrown around) I would be willing to bet that Jobs, Randy and I'm sure others got together and answered the following questions:

1) Where is the market going for video editing?
2) In particular what will be the largest segment of that market?
3) How can Apple best serve that largest segment?

We all know the answer to those three questions is:

1) DLSR and lower cost HD h.264 video recording right down to cell phones (that we make and dominate with BTW)
2) consumer/prosumer
3) Create a low cost killer NLE that is very fast and very easy to use.

FCPX is EXACTLY that product. All of the short falls that everyone on this page have been lathering about are all of the things that fall off the plate when you specify that your target market and objective is to make the BEST product to serve the needs described above.

What did Apple give up? They gave up a shrinking, very demanding, lower volume, higher support/installed seat user base of tens of thousands. I know.... Randy states the FCP user base of 2 million. Please stop for a second and segment that market of 2 million into just how many are bleeding edge needs vs more moderate needs. The bleeding edge user base is 10's of thousands not millions. Did it piss off customers? Of course? Will it hurt Apple's business? Short term, a little, long term it won't even be noticed.

What did Apple gain? The opportunity to be the single most dominate supplier of low cost NLE video editing software using Apple's propitiatory hardware in the market serving a fast growing market of millions. This is millions and millions that will clamor to buy more Apple hardware and plunk down an additional $300 to $400 for FCPX and additional packages. That is gravy margin icing on the cake.

Apple has chosen, as they have done in the past (iPod sales are dropping every quarter. Why? Because they are losing market share to iPhones) to "Eat their Own". Unfortunately for all of the very high end NLE editors out there who use FCP as their mainstay, you just became lunch.

Keep in mind too, I would almost absolutely guarantee it, MacPro are the next to die. Why? There is no need for the product. Products are made and sold for one reason only. They fill a need. When that need no longer exists, the product dies. To the above, the shrinking need of high end NLE requirements has been killed to support the growing need of mid-range consumer NLE market. With Thunderbolt, FCPX's speed and more than adequate graphics cards that will fit inside an iMac and a MacBook or MacBook Pro there is no need for a MacPro. All of the requirements that drove the need for a high end workstation with expandable slots was just killed, therefor the product is dead. QED.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Jun 25, 2011 at 12:19:45 pm

I think that about sums it up

Steve Connor
Adrenalin Television

Have you tried "Search Posts"? Enlightenment may be there.

Return to posts index

Clayton Burkhart
on Jun 25, 2011 at 12:27:21 pm

I don't like viewing this as a "conspiracy" either. I prefer to say "strategy".
However, there is nothing that precludes giving consumers/prosumers this NLE and not keeping FCS 3 on the market for pros. There is nothing in the developement needs of the pros that would require the kind of resources to be anything near a business deficit. Further, if Adobe can do it a relatively painless way more than a year ago, Apple could have done it better and quicker a long time ago.

There is absolutely nothing in marketing strategy that says you have to alienate this particular base of your buying public (pros) in order to move your other apps forward.

Further, you don't hold a NAB style meeting to present a pro product with the intention of disappointing that audience by creating false expectations and a backlash on the day of the release.

I think this was quite simply a strategy and a miscalculation.

Return to posts index

Phil Hoppes
on Jun 25, 2011 at 12:37:25 pm

While it may be argued they could have "done it" better I think killing FCP7 is Apple actually telling you all to move on, we arn't going there. The NAB thing was simply Apple's ego showing.

It does, never cease to amaze me, that people actually expect truth when it comes to discussion of a product that has not been released. An officer of a public company (aka Jobs) can say almost nothing about a new product or business without getting in real hot water with the SEC. A sales or marketing person is only going to tell you what they want you to hear as well as treading a thin line for a product preannouncement. They are not, by law, allowed to say too much.

I never listen to what a company says. I look at what a company does. That is what speaks volumes. My goodness, did anyone seriously think Jobs is going to say publicly, before a product is delivered "Ah you high end editors are going to have a fit because we cut all the knobs and dials you need so we could make an easier to use product!" Come on......

Return to posts index

Clayton Burkhart
on Jun 25, 2011 at 12:45:10 pm

There is a difference between letting everyone know it is time to move on, and actually setting up false expectations and later disappointment.

The latter is never good for any business.

Return to posts index

Richard Cardonna
on Jun 25, 2011 at 12:45:48 pm

Apple statement recomending automatic Duck and not devloping its owm solution makes me think that Apple is relying on developers to make the pro addons to fcpx. This sounds great at first but then when you think about it the cost can ad up into the thousands to have fcpx function like a pro app.

rcardonna

Return to posts index

Phil Hoppes
on Jun 25, 2011 at 12:49:03 pm

Again, they don't want to bare the cost of catering to the very high end needs. If you have higher end requirements than what they support, you either work with a cobbled environment or go elsewhere.

Return to posts index

Chris Kenny
on Jun 25, 2011 at 2:16:37 pm

[Richard Cardonna] "Apple statement recomending automatic Duck and not devloping its owm solution makes me think that Apple is relying on developers to make the pro addons to fcpx. This sounds great at first but then when you think about it the cost can ad up into the thousands to have fcpx function like a pro app."

I bet there will be cheaper options once Apple opens the API up to more vendors. And given that the base price of FCP X is about 1/8 of Avid Media Composer, there's a fair bit of room to spend money on add-ons before FCP becomes uncompetitive in terms of price.

I actually really like the idea of Apple adding a powerful API and leaving workflow integration up to third parties. It will probably result in such integration working better, because the companies that handle it will be much more focused on it than Apple ever was, and solutions can be much more specialized. For instance, there have always been some things I've wished I could change about how FCP 7 exported EDLs, when I'm taking those EDLs into Resolve. With an API that allowed EDL exporting to be implemented in a plug-in, I could just write my own.

--
Digital Workflow/Colorist, Nice Dissolve.

You should follow me on Twitter here. Or read our blog.

Return to posts index

Paul Dickin
on Jun 25, 2011 at 12:32:42 pm

[Phil Hoppes] "Will it hurt Apple's business? Short term, a little, long term it won't even be noticed."
Hi
Good summary, most likely spot on.

The defection to Avid or Adobe will only make an impact if all the defectors move to Windows and sell their Mac Pros to people who otherwise would have bought a new Mac or iMac. That would hit Apple's bottom line.
If they stay with the Mac platform its win/win to Apple.

Most likely OS X 10.7.? or 10.8 is going to break FCS 3 and/or QuickTime 7. So the only way forward is to freeze the status quo for FCS workstations at this pre-Lion moment - which is what Apple has done.

Return to posts index

Phil Hoppes
on Jun 25, 2011 at 12:42:07 pm

Yes, and I believe people here are seriously over estimating what their market contributes to Apple's bottom line. Apple is a 100B/year company and growing. MacPro sales and FCP sales COMBINED on an annual basis don't account for more that 0.25% to 0.5% of that total annual revenue.

FCPX sales combined with what it could spur with iMac sales very quickly dwarf any numbers you could come up with for FCP7 and MacPro sales. It is not even a competition.

Return to posts index

Clayton Burkhart
on Jun 25, 2011 at 12:52:00 pm

There is a paradigm in the fashion industry.

Haute couture ceased to be a viable business activity many years ago. However, without high fashion the sales of ready-to-wear dwindle quite quickly. The prestige value is infinitly more valuable than the physical sales of the product.

If Apple ceases to be the product of choice in the upper echelons of media creation, it will not be very long before the public moves on as well. In many ways Apple is first and foremost a design company afterall.

Return to posts index

Paul Dickin
on Jun 25, 2011 at 1:01:39 pm

[Clayton Burkhart] "If Apple ceases to be the product of choice in the upper echelons of media creation, it will not be very long before the public moves on as well. "
Hi
There are lots of 'upper echelon' high visibility profiling opportunities in future without targeting one of the top ten dying industries - the almost invisible (to the wider public) post production business.

Return to posts index

Phil Hoppes
on Jun 25, 2011 at 1:02:54 pm

No.... I don't buy Tommy Hilflger I get cheap Khols or Costco if it fits. I could care less what Calvin Kline is pushing. I don't buy a Chevy because they make a Caddy and a Vet. No one in the consumer market Apple serves cares that you use or don't use an Apple product.

Return to posts index

Clayton Burkhart
on Jun 25, 2011 at 1:10:33 pm

[Phil Hoppes] " No.... I don't buy Tommy Hilflger I get cheap Khols or Costco if it fits. I could care less what Calvin Kline is pushing. I don't buy a Chevy because they make a Caddy and a Vet. No one in the consumer market Apple serves cares that you use or don't use an Apple product."

Totally disagree. Apple is all about sleek design and PRESTIGE in the minds of the masses.

Return to posts index

Jean-François Robichaud
on Jun 25, 2011 at 1:41:26 pm

I agree with this prestige issue. In addition, While FCP might not be such a large part of Apple's revenue stream, it is one of the main reason so many professionals have gone and are still are going Mac rather than PC. That was what made me switch from Windows and many I know did the same. And that doesn't only lead to Mac Pro sales from post houses of all sizes but actually much more iMacs and Mac Book Pros from freelance and upcoming professionals. Apple can afford to lose the revenue from FCP sales to pros, but does it make any business sense to risk losing these customers to PCs? Especially when the cost of implementing the features that pros want can't be that high. Cutting FCS3 now might seem to go against that, but Apple knows it's got up to a year to follow up on FCP X: nobody's going to replace all of their Macs by PCs on a hunch; pros got too much invested in their hardware.

Return to posts index

Stephen Bakopanos
on Jun 25, 2011 at 2:42:15 pm

[Clayton Burkhart] "If Apple ceases to be the product of choice in the upper echelons of media creation, it will not be very long before the public moves on as well. In many ways Apple is first and foremost a design company afterall."

I don't mean to sound rude, but you are so wrong it isn't funny. Perhaps what you're saying was true 10 years ago, but it isn't any more. No-one that I know who wants (or has) an iPhone or an iPad (snore....) gives a rats arse what NLE I use. They wouldn't even have a clue what a NLE is. They want an Apple product because everyone else has one and because they're expensive and therrefore "premium". Apple have, by and large, become a fashion brand and a status symbol.

Return to posts index

Sascha Engel
on Jun 25, 2011 at 2:49:42 pm

Very sad. And even though I was a defender, fan and suppporter of Apple for many years (and an owner of an iPhone): YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY RIGHT!
I wish I could contradict, but that's all there is to say. Amen.

Return to posts index

Clayton Burkhart
on Jun 25, 2011 at 4:06:07 pm

You are absolutely right. Having only worked in fashion and advertising for the last 20 years, i must know nothing about how a fashionable brand is created.

Return to posts index

Phil Hoppes
on Jun 25, 2011 at 4:25:44 pm

I'm sure you do know everything there is to know about a fashion brand. Contrary to what you may believe Apple creates consumer electronic and software products. They do not create fashion brand products. It is as simple as that.

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Jun 25, 2011 at 6:43:58 pm

[Phil Hoppes] "I'm sure you do know everything there is to know about a fashion brand. Contrary to what you may believe Apple creates consumer electronic and software products. They do not create fashion brand products. It is as simple as that."

No disrespect but that is so wrong.
Apple has been about design, look, fashion, trend since day one. There are tons of interviews with designers, graphic artists that have worked for years on the apple branding and image. They make it pretty clear that design and branding is apples number one priority.
Lets consider the bondi blue imac, the cube, the G series, and of course the current Mac Pro. Look at all the effort put into the design of these machines. There is no real reason the Pro has to be made like it is. All the high end PC's are plastic and stamped sheet metal.
And then there is the logo itself. The story behind that completely contradicts your assertion.
And as far as the consumers not caring about what the pros use to edit. That is wrong too. Apple has done nothing but push Final Cut as what the pros use. They touted the movies cut with it. Used the word professional a hundred times on every page, and even had Walter Murch as a spokesman.
So along comes this new crop of dslr shooters that think a 5D and FCP makes them the next Scorsese.
This idea was put in their head by apples marketing.
Just look at this:
http://www.apple.com/pro/profiles/coppola_murch/
and try to tell us again how they are not pushing the "our stuff is used by the pros" angle.
They know damn good and well that these twenty something wannabe's eat this stuff up. This is the equivalent of Guitar Hero. They should have called X 'Movie Hero'. Maybe partner up with Canon and sell the 5D and X as a package and call it Movie Hero. Look at how they market Garage Band. That is the model right there. Make music, without being a musician. And it is endorsed by a bunch of big name musicians. Being a poser does not carry the stigma it once did. Lip-sync, auto-tune, you name it. Faking it is as good as talent. X is just bringing that to the editing world.
Marketing, image, branding, hype, exclusivity, being hip, being trendy, being used be the elite. This is how apple markets itself, and it is how the fashion industry markets itself. Fashion uses name brand celebs, and big name designers to sell their consumer products. Apple does the exact same thing.
This means that pissing off the pros is a calculated risk. But as someone else pointed out, we are a very small portion of their sales. All they really need is a few of big recognizable names, the rest of us are expendable. That will be easy to get. Pay these guys enough, and they'll say whatever apple wants. All the softball reviews of X that that popped up on release day, loaded with apple-speak seem to be evidence of this going on. Didn't anybody wonder how someone could find the merits of X in one day? Jeez, that doesn't look suspicious. Does it?

Scott Sheriff
Director
http://www.sstdigitalmedia.com

I have a system, it has stuff in it, and stuff hooked to it. I have a camera, it can record stuff. I read the manuals, and know how to use this stuff and lots of other stuff too.
You should be suitably impressed...

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." ---Red Adair

Return to posts index

Phil Hoppes
on Jun 25, 2011 at 7:55:10 pm

No you are talking about HOW they market their product. I am talking about WHAT they actually make. Two very different concepts.

As a business you make money on WHAT you make. Part of why you succeed or not is dependent on HOW you market your product.

Return to posts index

Peter Wiley
on Jun 25, 2011 at 9:10:58 pm

[Phil Hoppes] "you first have to be willing to create new markets and be willing, if necessary, to "eat your own" in order to make the next leap in volume sales."

Of course. My point is that if this is what Apple intend (and you may not be far off the mark) they are going about it in an odd way. At the moment FCP X isn't being marketed in a way that seems intended to make a market. Apple know how to do this -- they did it with FCS/FCP and, ironically, now may be abandoning that market they made while trading on it with the new software.

What they might have done is focus on users rather than the product itself or features. The story might have gone something like this:

"In 2005 YouTube changed the world of video by giving more people than ever before a way to place their work before an audience. As a result of the digital revolution that Apple has helped along with products like iMovie and FCP, today there are more kinds of motion pictures made by more kinds of producers than ever before -- from Hollywood to the backwoods. There are more kinds of workflows than ever before. The only thing certain is this revolutionary environment is change. Final Cut X has been designed from the ground up as a scalable, customizable video editing platform to work for you no matter how you work or what you produce."

Note this about the needs of the people who will use the product. Here FCP X is not the or a revolution, it's the essential tool for the revolution. Of course it's not the approach they took. If they had, people might be a little more willing to wait to see what's really going to happen.

Maybe I would have hired Bob Garfield, former ad critic at AdAge to be the spokesperson for the product vision http://www.vimeo.com/6873200 He'd be great at this.

[Brad Davis] "It's easy to slap the iMovie on Steriods on it right now but I think it's a little more complex than that."

Indeed.

Return to posts index

Dave Johnson
on Jun 28, 2011 at 7:39:47 pm

Excellent post, Phil.

Thanks for taking the time to articulate the exact things I've been debating in mind ever since it became obvious a couple years ago that development for all parts of the Final Cut suite was being gradually abandoned ... coincidentally, of course, right as the iPod/iPhone market started to skyrocket. All things considered, it would be counter-intuitive for Apple to serve the relatively tiny "pro" market and, since they obviously realized that many years ago, the only issue I have with the whole thing is the ongoing bait and switch tactics.

Return to posts index

Scott Thomas
on Jun 25, 2011 at 6:47:34 am

Something I just remembered...

Remember a few years ago, a story that Apple was looking to sell off the Pro Apps?

At the time I railed against that. I couldn't believe that Apple would seek an exit from a market that they were becoming so strong in.

Looking back now. I'm starting to wonder if that was true.

Return to posts index

Robin Erard
on Jun 25, 2011 at 1:36:56 pm

100 % agree.

We don't need an editing software which edits automatically. We need an editing software which allow us to work with other professionals like Colorists or sound designer... But now... it's not possible anymore.

Robin

réalisateur, scénariste, monteur, étalonneur
http://www.robinerard.ch

Return to posts index

David A Fenton
on Jun 25, 2011 at 2:31:55 pm

...and then there's going to be some major film edited completely in FCPX and everyone will start to wonder what "pro" really means. It probably has less to do with the software than some might think.

Return to posts index

Sascha Engel
on Jun 25, 2011 at 2:42:03 pm

Dear David,

you are right, it's never the tool, but the knowledge and creativity of the editor.
But in my opinion you miss the whole point - that is not the question here.
Fact is, that Apple released a Product under the name "Pro", which clearly has several short comings and has less pro-features than even FCP 1.0: No Ex-Monitoring, killing COLOR (a terrific App!), no XML, no OMF, not compatible with previous FCP Versions (but with iMovie!!!!), no Print to tape possibilities, killed STP, killed DVDSP...and a couple of more things.
This is not a Pro-Application, sorry, you can spin it however you want - it is and - unless they change it big Time - will be just an iMovie on Steroids!

Sascha

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jun 25, 2011 at 3:17:53 pm

I'm sure it's been mentioned before that "Pro" stands for Pro-sumer. :)

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jun 25, 2011 at 7:15:06 pm

[Sascha Engel] "Fact is, that Apple released a Product under the name "Pro""

No, in fact they pilfered the name "Final Cut Pro" from a working and still valuable product the sold to over two-million customers.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

Don't miss my new tutorial: Prepare for a seamless transition to FCP X and OS X Lion
http://library.creativecow.net/weiss_roth_david/FCP-10-MAC-Lion/1

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

David A Fenton
on Jun 25, 2011 at 7:51:22 pm

I think that is the point. To have some folk dwelling on the "pro-ness" of the product is a little bizarre when it's clear to me that some "pro" work is being done on it right now and Apple will surely announce these wins when they occur. FCPX sure does have shortcomings and so did FCP7...but discussion points based on Pro vs not Pro just cause blind confusion among the facts that matter.

Return to posts index

jason levy
on Jun 25, 2011 at 4:39:14 pm

Not stupidity... they are dumping a product that had only niche appeal for one that they think they can sell more of to a broader market. That is Apple's over-all business plan now... get rid of niche products ... make mass-appeal products.

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Jun 25, 2011 at 5:19:04 pm

[Peter Wiley] "Can anyone see a kid with a DSLR all that worried about managing keywords?"

The keyword list would be pretty short:
Dude
Shred
Sick
Rad
Freestyle
Bong
Killer
Gnarly
Grind
Fakie
Ollie
Railslide

Scott Sheriff
Director
http://www.sstdigitalmedia.com

I have a system, it has stuff in it, and stuff hooked to it. I have a camera, it can record stuff. I read the manuals, and know how to use this stuff and lots of other stuff too.
You should be suitably impressed...

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." ---Red Adair

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]