COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Seeman
Update on Avid Potential NASDAQ Delisting
on Aug 20, 2013 at 4:40:12 am

Another SCRI report.

Avid Potential NASDAQ Delisting
http://scri.com/avid-potential-nasdaq-delisting/

So Avid is about to file an updated plan. Even if accepted, would have about 3 weeks to regain compliance. Otherwise Avid can appeal.

I ponder whether all this is really just a way for Avid to delay quarterly reports that might bring more bad news.Maybe an eventual delisting might bring Avid the solace of not having to submit any reports and in their quasi privacy try to right the ship without public stock holder responsibility.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: Update on Avid Potential NASDAQ Delisting
on Aug 20, 2013 at 12:27:14 pm

After the second quarter of not reporting, I mused to myself whether this was a way to go private...

Michael

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
Re: Oversold Conditions For Adobe Systems
on Aug 20, 2013 at 8:46:43 pm

Dude, I know you are working hard as part of the loyal resistance against our new Adobe Overlords, but please try not to spam every thread that comes within 30 miles of quasi-relevancy to CC. If you are going to throw cherry bombs, take the time to work them into the thread instead of just spamming a link. Also, understand what you are throwing; I don't think "oversold" means what you thin it means, as Walter has pointed out elsewhere.

Even though I'm fairly happy with my CC subscription, I do get your anxiety and share some of it, so viva la revolution. But right here, we're talking about Avid and some of its failures. Fair?

Return to posts index

Ricardo Marty
on Aug 20, 2013 at 11:55:40 pm

posted here by error had both forums on separte tabs and was to late to erase this one. On the other hand I disagree with you. This is only good for those that want to buy adobe stock. My full answer:

http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/378/4684

ricardo

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Aug 21, 2013 at 1:52:05 am

[Ricardo Marty] "posted here by error had both forums on separte tabs and was to late to erase this one. "

Cool. My apologies for jumping to conclusions.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Aug 20, 2013 at 1:48:34 pm

[Michael Phillips] "After the second quarter of not reporting, I mused to myself whether this was a way to go private..."

I can't help but think that may be the case.

I also wonder how this might impact management and/or employees if they are compensated in some portion by stock.

Their "GlassDoor" rating is very low and mostly center around employees' and former employees' lack of confidence in management.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Aug 20, 2013 at 7:59:36 pm

[Craig Seeman] "Their "GlassDoor" rating is very low and mostly center around employees' and former employees' lack of confidence in management."

I think this is really fascinating.

Makes me wonder if so many tech oriented companies - particularly in software - are changing so rapidly, that there's just not a lot of executive talent around who get the rapidly evolving software world.

Most top executives tend to be older players who've come up from the financial side, or sales, or the traditional executive ladder, and now they're faced with running a business that has to contend with a new world where uncontrollable forces like social media, and fully connected digital product distribution pipelines are causing the business playing field to rock and roll in ways that their MBA training never anticipated.

For many years, I saw clearly how Wall Streets demands for immediate cash flow and the largest possible profits THIS MONTH - gutted the long range view. And outside of big pharma and big energy - there are a lot of companies at the top of the financial leader board today that got their by going AROUND the traditional MBA driven process. Scully at Apple brining "traditional" executive talent into the house was a pretty big failure. Bezos at Amazon running massive red ink for an insanely long time. Brin et al changing the world at Google - none of these were traditionally business driven companies, tho they've certainly adopted what was useful and necessary from the traditional processes.

I wonder if we're going to see a LOT more of these types of business screw ups as executive suite types fail to figure out which sands are shifting and how far.

It's certainly an fascinating business era we're living through.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Aug 20, 2013 at 9:01:01 pm

Given the GlassDoor comments and Avid's current situation, I think you're correct Bill.
Consider how some other companies are responding. Granted they all have very different business models but several companies have made significant chances... even if they are gambles.

Adobe, a software company, went subscription so they can update features as a service rather than a sale.
Apple, a company that uses software and services to sell hardware, can probably adjust their accounting procedures given how little the sales of FCPX directly has on them.
EditShare, a hardware company gives away Lightworks, charging only for the codec license annually.

Avid, on the other hand, got burned in their accounting procedure with their software feature updates apparently. They're predominantly a hardware and service company with declining revenues year after year. Their management hasn't been able to come up with any changes in their model other than cutting and dumping. The keep shuffling the management deck... a lot lately... but they're not changing any of the thinking.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]