FORUMS: list search recent posts

Hold

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Julian Bowman
Hold
on Aug 11, 2013 at 12:13:30 pm

A good example of new not being better, especially when new replaces something that worked well.

I would/do often grab stills of video footage to use a background during my films. In 7 it was easy. Freeze frame. Nice still image I could drop in the timeline and make as long or short as I wanted.

Now we have Hold. Something that gives you moving footage either side of it. Something that you need to open the retimer block then stretch at a fiddly little point and then when you add a transition at the end you need to undo it, add a second more of hold, delete 13 frames of that then put the transition on so the second half of the transition isn't moving footage again.

And god forbid you forget to jump through those hoops before you make the still image longer because then you finally realise when you look at it and everything from the most recently extended bit is moving footage.

What on earth was wrong with Freeze Frame? Nothing. What puck have the dev team being playing with? Whatever it is they need to stop licking it because it appears to have been covered in acid.

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
Re: Hold
on Aug 11, 2013 at 12:47:22 pm

Uh, yeah...

Creating traditional freeze frames from project or event clips was added back in 10.0.6 almost a year ago.

There's a section on it in this write up by Steve Martin about 2/3rd the way down.

http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/fcp_x_first_look_06_martin.html

Return to posts index

Fabien Daguerre
on Aug 11, 2013 at 12:49:10 pm

Freeze frame in FCPX came back with 10.0.6.
Just hold Option + F from a timeline clip or an event clip.

Return to posts index

Julian Bowman
on Aug 11, 2013 at 1:03:24 pm

hurrah, to a degree.

when i do it from a timeline clip it appears to add the freeze frame in the timeline at the point I have chosen the clip, thus breaking up the clip I already have there and making me have to remove it from the timeline where I chose the clip and placing it elsewhere. not so great when my timeline is 20 minutes long. Plus I then have a whole clip split (which isn't the end of the world but I look at my clips as visual aids so an additional needless split is annoying).

When doing it from the event browser it does at least add it to the point I want as a connected clip, though for me I rarely take stills from rushes but rather an edit.

Still not sure what was wrong with a freeze frame button/keystroke just adding the clip to my bins so I could place it where I wanted as I wanted in a non destructive manner to my timeline.

Many thanks though for pointing out what is there, that is greatly appreciated as I didn't know about it and I hate Hold for stills.

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Aug 11, 2013 at 1:32:55 pm

The simple non-destructive way to do what you want is

1. Go to the point in the sequence you want the freeze-frame
2. With the clip you want selected, SHFT-F to find the clip in the Event Browser
3. OPTION-F to add that keyframe back in as a connected clip.

Two keystrokes. Very fast.

I'd agree that being able to just do OPTION-F right from a Project clip would be one stroke less, and therefore faster. But what's above is at least as fast as it was before.

Return to posts index

Julian Bowman
on Aug 11, 2013 at 1:35:55 pm

Now, thank you very much :)

That does it a treat. Doesn't keep the grading but that is easy enough. I appreciate your time and pointing out then showing how I was wrong and how to do it :)

You've probably added a fair few hours onto my free time over the rest of my life :)

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Aug 11, 2013 at 1:41:29 pm

To be fair, I wasn't sure about this myself. But I did remember a MacBreakStudio where they talked about this. Couldn't find the video tutorial, but the article from SM refreshed my memory.

Return to posts index

Julian Bowman
on Aug 11, 2013 at 1:52:20 pm

Well I appreciate it and have made notes :) Hold was driving me to despair :)

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Aug 11, 2013 at 6:49:52 pm

"Option R" was one of those 'aha' shortcuts for me. I love doing it now. I "option R" everything.

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

David Eaks
on Aug 11, 2013 at 11:23:48 pm

Another simple way to do it, and keep your grade etc. would be-

Create freeze frame (Option-F)
Copy freeze frame (Command-C)
Undo create freeze frame (Command-Z)
Paste as connected clip (Option-V)

Something like shift-option-F to create a freeze frame as a connected clip would be nice though.

Return to posts index

Julian Bowman
on Aug 11, 2013 at 1:37:09 pm

gotta add though, having a freeze frame button to click and it dumping it in my bins still seems easier.

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Aug 11, 2013 at 1:39:06 pm

I guess I'd wonder why you'd want your bins cluttered with FF that would only seemly have a single Project use.

Return to posts index

Julian Bowman
on Aug 11, 2013 at 1:56:02 pm

I'm very neat with my projects (Events in new language). So I would create a bin/keyword collection called freeze frames and in it would go. Plus I am less concerned about my event bins area than ease of process in the timeline as that is where I spend 90% of my time. Everything that makes me jump through needless hoops or bugs that are still around break my flow, frustrate me and slow me down, tiring me quicker than normal.

There are many things about FCPX that are lovely and aid, but it definitely isn't the best it can be yet, not just bugs which are annoying, but some limitations/failings in the paradigm (such as my big gripe of not being able to have clips connected to secondary timelines which at times completely negates the power of the magnetic/connected concept) that are very frustrating.

We shall see where it all ends up I guess :)

Thanks again for your time with this one though.

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Aug 12, 2013 at 12:11:12 am

As if by coincidence- or Larry Jordan is trolling these forums!

http://www.larryjordan.biz/fcp-x-create-freeze-frames/

Return to posts index

Jacob Brown
on Aug 12, 2013 at 6:30:40 pm

a lot of times i export a tiff of the current frame through the share menu, then just drag/import that tiff into the appropriate event. its an extra step but then i have the frozen frame ready to rock right there in the event.

also, often times, i want to clean up the frame in photoshop before importing

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]