FORUMS: list search recent posts

Why FxFactory?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Figgiani
Why FxFactory?
on Aug 8, 2013 at 12:45:54 pm

No snark intended here - but I'm curious as to why most Motion/FCPX Effects etc. developers have elected to use FxFactory as a distribution platform? It can't be just a sort of ease of installation issue. It's pretty easy to write/use a custom installer or to use a package installer creation tool.

FxFactory (to me at least) seems way too bloated with regards to what's included compared to what I would actually use. Again, I don't have it installed and may very well be misinformed.

-paul.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Why FXFactory?
on Aug 8, 2013 at 12:58:06 pm

Just some this 'n that comments on it.

You don't need to buy FXFactory to buy the plugins that use their framework. You can download FXFactory for free to use the framework to purchase those plugins that use it so I'm not sure why the "bloat" is an issue.

It's actually a very good plugin management system in which you temporarily disable plugins you're not using.

One might consider it a sort of App Store for some plugins. It can help smaller companies with visibility, marketing, distribution.

Some companies who distribute through it also have plugins outside it. One example is idustrial Revolution's free plugins they give away on Friday's. Those aren't available on the NoiseIndustries site.

CoreMelt was once part of the FXFacctory framework and went their own way.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
Re: Why FxFactory?
on Aug 8, 2013 at 1:07:33 pm

One thing to be mindful of, is that you can install FxFactory for free or optionally purchase FxF Pro, which are the Noise Industries plug-ins. So you get the FxF application even if you only buy a $29 filter.

The advantage of FxF is that you get a one-stop application to control, purchase, download and install a variety of different plug-ins, from a wide range of different developers. I can also personally vouch for the fact that the developers at Noise Industries take the Mac OS programming environment quite seriously and avoid some of the under-the-hood hacks that other developers take from time to time. This means that they are on top of changes Apple makes that can break plug-ins and help to curate the work of the developers in the fold.

NI is also working on two fronts - FCP X and Premiere Pro. Therefore many of the plug-ins work in FCP 7, FCP X, Motion, AE and PPro. Interestingly enough, since the FxF Pro filters use Core Image, many of these filters also work with Pixelmator, if you have that installed.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Aug 8, 2013 at 2:34:35 pm

[Oliver Peters] "Interestingly enough, since the FxF Pro filters use Core Image, many of these filters also work with Pixelmator, if you have that installed."

That's good to know, thanks Oliver!

I have only used the freebies so far, but I'm trialing some plugins I've heard about, and I rather like the FxFactory setup. I think perhaps the "bloat" comes about if you don't disable trials (you end up with quite a list in your NLE if you don't), and the interface is a little sluggish in the app itself.

Return to posts index

Mark Dobson
on Aug 8, 2013 at 5:28:54 pm

FxFactory provides the smaller plugin developers with a pretty easy and very professional marketing and distribution operation with the bonus of a very responsive in-house technical support.

I've mainly used it to have access to idustrial's range of plugins and I've just got access to Hawaiki Autograde through the site. Ripple training have also used FxFactory to distribute some of their plugin collections such as Callouts.

However the downside for me is that several plugins are now supplied in a locked form, in other words it's not possible to edit or customise any of the plugins in Motion.

I wanted to refine some of the elements within callouts and found that this is just not possible, not re-inventing the wheel, just wanting longer or shorter animation timings or the ability to replace a solid transition background with a transparent one. I exchanged emails with both Mark Spencer at Ripple training and FxFactory and this seems to be a new policy.

I also find the application, plugin manager pretty clunky, with a constant need to re-download a large programme and install new versions to reflect the addition of a new product, surely this could be done in a more elegant online way.

But moaning apart I've had great value from FxFactory and it's been supporting FCPX from the start. And one of the many things I like about FCPX is the ability to buy interesting FX at reasonable prices and also import my home made efforts from Motion.

Return to posts index

Kevin Monahan
on Aug 8, 2013 at 7:29:37 pm

[Oliver Peters] "NI is also working on two fronts - FCP X and Premiere Pro. Therefore many of the plug-ins work in FCP 7, FCP X, Motion, AE and PPro. "

It should be mentioned, the plug-ins are Mac only. So if you're running PC versions of Adobe apps, the effects won't be available. That said, I love FX Factory plug-ins, always have.

Kevin

Kevin Monahan
Social Support Lead
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe Systems, Inc.
Follow Me on Twitter!

Return to posts index

Craig Shields
on Aug 8, 2013 at 7:53:28 pm

[Oliver Peters] "NI is also working on two fronts - FCP X and Premiere Pro. Therefore many of the plug-ins work in FCP 7, FCP X, Motion, AE and PPro"

But don't you have to do some nasty work-around for the PP plugs? I hate that.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Aug 8, 2013 at 9:11:37 pm

[Craig Shields] "But don't you have to do some nasty work-around for the PP plugs? I hate that."

What are you referring to? This has not been my experience. There are two caveats. Filters that are purely Motion templates doesn't show up in PPro or AE. Filters that use an on-screen GUI work only via the sliders.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Craig Shields
on Aug 9, 2013 at 12:48:55 am

They used to show tutorials using PP where you couldn't apply transitions between two clips as normal. I think you hand to have them on different tracks or something. Has that changed? Do transitions now work normally? I actually asked Dennis about this on this forum and he mentioned that users needed to contact the plugin makers.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Aug 9, 2013 at 1:33:10 am

[Craig Shields] "They used to show tutorials using PP where you couldn't apply transitions between two clips as normal."

ALL transition functions in Premiere are EXTREMELY WEAK. Transitions with most plug-in packages (not just FxF) don't work well in Premiere. As far as transitions, right now NOTHING can touch what's out there for FCP X.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Tapio Haaja
on Aug 9, 2013 at 11:13:44 am

I agree that transitions in Premiere are really weak. Most plugins I've tried don't work as transitions, they work as effects in Premiere Pro so that's why you have to have videos in two tracks etc. to get those working. Very cumbersome.

Best transitions I've found for Premiere Pro are Filmimpacts' Transition Pack 1 & 2 (http://www.filmimpact.net/index.php/plugins). Those actually work as transitions and offer good quality.

Best
Tapio Haaja

Development & Production Manager / Promotions / MTV MEDIA (Finland)

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Aug 9, 2013 at 12:04:38 pm

The transition architecture probably is related to how things were engineered in AE.

Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Aug 13, 2013 at 12:41:05 pm

[Oliver Peters] "The transition architecture probably is related to how things were engineered in AE."

Ae's architecture does not support editorial transitions. Thinking in terms of one asset per layer, Ae has no idea of incoming/outgoing clips or transition duration, so transitions seem weird as you have to define these things manually.

Premiere's architecture, though, naturally supports normal editorial transitions.

The problem is that many developers have historically targeted Ae for their plugins (since they can be written to run in both Ae and Pr) instead of Pr-native plugins.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Niclas Bahn
on Nov 7, 2013 at 6:38:30 pm

Transitions are now natively supported in Premiere Pro:

http://www.noiseindustries.com

Return to posts index

Dave Gage
on Aug 8, 2013 at 10:42:47 pm

[Oliver Peters] "Therefore many of the plug-ins work in FCP 7, FCP X, Motion, AE and PPro. Interestingly enough, since the FxF Pro filters use Core Image, many of these filters also work with Pixelmator, if you have that installed."

Like Gary, I also think that's very cool. Do you have any specific examples of plugins that you use with Pixelmator? Does this imply that something you create in Motion would also work in Pixelmator?

Thanks,
Dave

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Aug 8, 2013 at 11:18:26 pm

[Dave Gage] "Do you have any specific examples of plugins that you use with Pixelmator?"

See attached image for some examples. Pretty much each category has a number of their filters. All of the ones starting with NI. Admittedly I only play around with Pixelmator. I do most of that sort of work in Photoshop.

[Dave Gage] "Does this imply that something you create in Motion would also work in Pixelmator?"

Absolutely not. The FxF Pro filters are programmed using Core Image, which is different than a Motion template. It's just a happy byproduct of how they were originally created. The original idea that NI had was that users could create their own plug-ins - or modify some of these - using Apple's Quartz Composer, which is a node-based effects creation tool. As it turns out, very few users really wanted to do that. The ones that did, like Peter Wiggins and Roger Bolton, became plug-in developers. Ironically, that's kind of what has happened with Motion templates and FCP X, though not using the same architecture.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Aug 9, 2013 at 12:32:49 am

[Oliver Peters] "Admittedly I only play around with Pixelmator. I do most of that sort of work in Photoshop."

I have done a single project with all the image work in Pixelmator. It works pretty well, and I hope it continues to mature.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Aug 9, 2013 at 1:34:21 am

[Gary Huff] "I have done a single project with all the image work in Pixelmator."

I like it, too. It's just that I have Photoshop, so that's second nature.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Leo Hans
on Aug 9, 2013 at 1:24:13 pm

So you can make FCPX effects/transitions using Pixelmator?
After creating one, do you need to have Pixelmator installed? (f.e. using the effect in another computer).
Thanks!

Leo Hans
Editor AVID - Final Cut Pro (7+X)
http://www.leohans.com

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Aug 9, 2013 at 3:05:59 pm

[Leo Hans] "So you can make FCPX effects/transitions using Pixelmator?"

No. Go back and re-read what I wrote. FCP X effects that users can make are Motion templates. These have NOTHING to do with Pixelmator. Different technologies.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Dave Gage
on Aug 9, 2013 at 6:11:45 pm

[Oliver Peters] "
Absolutely not. The FxF Pro filters are programmed using Core Image, which is different than a Motion template."

Okay, but still pretty cool that they can be used within Pixelmator also.

Thanks,
Dave

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]