FORUMS: list search recent posts

Copy an entire event and project on Final Cut X to an external hard drive

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ismael de Diego
Copy an entire event and project on Final Cut X to an external hard drive
on Aug 8, 2013 at 8:11:06 am

Hi everyone, i work with FCP 7 and i have no idea about FCP X, I need to make a copy of a project to an external hard drive so i can open it in my computer. I've been reading long tutorials and watching infinite videos on how to manage this but i just can't make it happen. It seems like it's absurdly hard thing to do compare to 7..

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
Re: Copy an entire event and project on Final Cut X to an external hard drive
on Aug 8, 2013 at 6:14:37 pm

Open X and go to the Project Library.

Highlight the Project you want to move.

Look in the File Menu for either the Duplicate Project (command D) or the Move Project item.

Use it to move the project to the drive you like.

That's about it.

It might take quite a while if you decide to clone the entire project - because X not only moves the project file, it makes a duplicate of the entire structure of the database relationships - but it WILL do what you want.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Nicholas Zimmerman
on Aug 8, 2013 at 8:20:04 pm

Just to add onto what Bill said, FCPX is generally much better than 7 in this regard. The one exception being that it will move the entire clip of anything that is in the project, and won't trim with handles like 7.

Make sure when you move/duplicate the project to the new drive that you select to move the event or clips used in it. Events house your footage, projects house your edits, you need both in order to work off of a different machine.

Also, with anybody coming into FCPX from 7, do some training on it real quick. A lot of people just jump right in, get confused, and then complain about how it can't do a bunch of stuff that it actually can do. This is a major part of where all the misinformation about FCPX originates.

--------------------------
Avid MC, PPro CS6, FCP7 - wasting away on my SSD.
I just can't quit X.
--------------------------

Return to posts index

Fabrizio D'Agnano
on Aug 9, 2013 at 2:16:05 pm

I second that. Most things I was complaining about were really already there, only in a different position. By the way, if I were to trade the ability to export used portions of the clips only but in ProRes, or original AVCHD, I'd go for the latter, since I work with AVCHD source media and I need to archive huge amounts of media. I gather it's not the same for people shooting in heavier source formats. Ripple training helped me a lot making FCPX a total winner.

Fabrizio D'Agnano
Rome, Italy
early 2008 MacPro, BM Intensity Pro, early 2008 iMac, 2011 MacBook Pro, FCP7, FCPX, OSX 10.8.3

Return to posts index

Dave Gage
on Aug 9, 2013 at 6:21:24 pm

[Fabrizio D'Agnano] "By the way, if I were to trade the ability to export used portions of the clips only but in ProRes, or original AVCHD, I'd go for the latter, since I work with AVCHD source media and I need to archive huge amounts of media."

I agree, but what I've been doing is first taking my .mts AVCHD files into ClipWrap, wrapping them into a .mov and then previewing and tossing the ones I really don't need and even occasionally taking them into QuickTime 7 and editing out the portions I only need from a long clip before I edit in FCPX. This way is easier for me and ends up saving me a lot of storage space. (I can't believe how fast I filled up a 2 TB drive and this is just my own stuff, no clients.) I also save/backup the original card structure, but at some point, I may go back and dump those to free up drive space.

Dave

Return to posts index

Fabrizio D'Agnano
on Aug 10, 2013 at 7:18:38 am

Dave,
what is the advantage of the Clip Wrap/QuickTime routine over importing portions of the clips from the FCPX Import Media and working in native quality without transcoding?

Fabrizio D'Agnano
Rome, Italy
early 2008 MacPro, BM Intensity Pro, early 2008 iMac, 2011 MacBook Pro, FCP7, FCPX, OSX 10.8.3

Return to posts index

David Eaks
on Aug 10, 2013 at 1:11:52 pm

I'm also curious what the advantage is. It seems like a terribly convoluted way to go about something so easily done right in FCPX.

My method is-
1) Backup full camera cards to drive dedicated to just card backups
2) Import either range selections or entire clips without optimizing (imported clips are copied to the Event folder on Media drive)
3) Eject camera cards drive

Small footprint on my media drive, straight-forward, simple process to get just the clips I want into FCPX.

Also, on Mountain Lion you can preview clips from the card backup right in Finder (or at least I can verify Sony NX5u AVCHD Previews fine).

Return to posts index

Dave Gage
on Aug 10, 2013 at 10:27:48 pm

[Fabrizio D'Agnano] "what is the advantage of the Clip Wrap/QuickTime routine over importing portions of the clips from the FCPX Import Media and working in native quality without transcoding?"

The advantage for me, maybe not for you, is that if you retain the complete card structure, you are also retaining bad takes and footage that will not be useful. By wrapping first, I can pre-view all my clips and toss the bad takes away. At the same time, I rename clips so that they make sense to me and my method of filing and categorizing.

Also keep in mind, that I am not transcoding, but merely wrapping the AVCHD in a .mov wrapper. My understanding is that this is essentially what FCPX is doing anyway. So, I am working in native quality. My 17" Quad i7 MBP is fast enough that this works fine for me. I don't use proxy or ever render. My only slowdowns are me futzing around and playing with too many options before making a decision.

Dave

Return to posts index

Fabrizio D'Agnano
on Aug 11, 2013 at 7:47:50 am

The naming of the clips for archiving purpose was a problem for me at the beginning, but later I found a way to do everything I need within FCPX, using events duplication or managing. By the way, creating an event for the use of archiving some of the footage is really like creating a folder, and if you use it within FCPX it won't really matter if the renaming does not affect the real media but the reference. The event will also retain all the description notes and additional informations I add to each clip. I find it very useful.
In my line of work I end up with only ten good clips out of one hundred. First thing I do is creating an archive of the card structure on a separate raid1 drive set, containing the good and the bad, just in case I need to look for a shot I miss. The cost of a drive containing all the card archives is about € 80,00 per year, and it's well worth it for me. Then I unmount the archive, and skim the clips on the card from the Import Media panel, marking ins and outs and importing, without transcoding, only the portions of the good clips I need, in a dedicated event on the editing drive. I then subdivide the footage using keywords, like "underwater shots", "Interviews", "landscapes", etc. When I am done with the shooting for that project and it's time to start real editing, I build a synch'd copy of the event on a separate drive so that I have a quick recovery in case my set fails when I'm on a dead end delivery, then transcode the media to "optimized" on the editing drive set, even if my old MacPro handles native AVCHD pretty well. After a couple of weeks since I have delivered the work and it's been accepted, I delete the transcoded media from the media editing drive and duplicate the project with used media only to a sparse disk image on a separate drive that I'll keep. I then drag the shots that are not project related (or however all the ones I think I can use in another project) into another event, named f.e."2013-07AtlanticOcean/underwater", that resides in a set of drives dedicate to archiving, and then hide it. Then I delete the synch'd copy of the event. This seems to work well for me, but I sure there are a lot of ways to achieve small size archives and safe managing of the media, depending on one's actual needs.

Fabrizio D'Agnano
Rome, Italy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]