FORUMS: list search recent posts

Is it possible to import a small part of a long clip into my event?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Colin Ryan
Is it possible to import a small part of a long clip into my event?
on Aug 2, 2013 at 1:18:28 am

The scenario is this. Doing a job for a client that involves using ( or having available ) alot of 5-10 minute clips that are part of , in some cases, 60-90 minute clips. Is there a way around importing them into my event and creating optimized prores media of the whole entire clip. Is there a way in fcpx or maybe a 3rd party software to just get the 5-10 minutes i want and then import it into my event. I dont think i have the hard drive space to convert all the lengthy clips just to then chop them down. This is my first time having to do something like this. any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Is it possible to import a small part of a long clip into my event?
on Aug 2, 2013 at 1:34:26 am

Yes.

Open the import window, navigate to the clip location, mark a range on the filmstrip, hit import.

You can even select multiple ranges with the command key and import just those ranges.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Colin Ryan
on Aug 5, 2013 at 2:34:02 pm

Ok so i have one of those clips here. Its like 52 minutes long and i only need like a minute from the top and a few minutes from the middle.
I figured out how to Shift click where i want the beginning and end to be, its not the usual I & O keys. But i cant figure out how to select multiple ranges. could you elaborate on that a little..

let your fingers do the walking

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Aug 5, 2013 at 3:03:15 pm

I'm sorry, I thought you were importing off camera media cards.

When you import off of media cards, you can sort the browser by thumbnail or filmstrip and mark in and outs, and you can then mark multiple ranges with the command key.

It looks like this:

In your case, if it is already created media, then you have to trim elsewhere. If you have QT7 on your computer, you can do this in QT7 very easily by marking an in and out on the long movie, copy (command-c), make a new document (command-n), paste (command-v), and save as a flattened self contained (command-s).

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Aug 5, 2013 at 5:59:58 pm

Just to elaborate a bit on what Jeremy is saying...

There are two broad camps when it comes to importing footage into any NLE.

One camp feels it's best to just import everything you shot - good, bad, and indifferent - and then deal with trimming and selects after the fact. Depending on the amount and type of footage (interviews? B-Roll?) you're generating and the format in use (small DV files or HUGE Red files!) and how much digital storage you have available - it's a perfectly sensible approach.

The other approach is to digitize only the part of the field footage you know you'll want to use. One easy to understand example of when this might be a smarter procedure is if someone brought you a security camera card, where nothing happens for an hour - then suddenly, the black bear enters the frame and starts moving around the dumpsters. Clearly you will have no use for most of the footage before the bear appears, so why digitize it?

Once you have a whole tape digitized, there's really no advantage to "sub-clipping" it in X, unless you want to re-claim drive space. And if that's your goal, an easier way is to just range select and Share out the footage you want to keep as separate clips - and re-import them into a new project - then Dump the older project with all the extra overhead.

There are issues related to original file formats and the format you want to preserve going forward to consider, but the most important thing to understand is that the decisions you make at the point of footage ingest are kinda important - since they'll determine the footage you have to work with, the format the computer will store those file in, and the amount of space they'll take up on the drives you store them on.

Hope that helps.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Colin Ryan
on Aug 6, 2013 at 2:08:12 am

Thanks Bill,

In this case
Drive space is an issue. I am working on a clients HD (320gb free). Its a documentary style show. i have alot of footage that is already prores so all i need to make from it is proxy media. However there are some clips like the one in the picture that are about an hour long. I dont have the HD space to turn them all into prores. i can work around that if i really had to on another drive but i just thought it would be easier to import the parts i need if possible. The clip in the picture is from an old german hip hop tv show. its 80% videos that i dont need and the rest is interviews that i need to have so i can pick at them later. These clips are H264.

On the Media Import screen you can see where i selected an in and out Marked by yellow. At least thats what i think. I shift + Click on what appears to be an in and out mark. Click on Import Selected - Create optimized and proxy, No need to copy files to events folder since the drive will stay the same. Then nothing happens. Im trying to figure out why it looks like fcp will let me select a range of the clip that i want to import but then nothing happens.
This make any sense?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Aug 6, 2013 at 2:38:52 am

[Colin Ryan] " Then nothing happens. Im trying to figure out why it looks like fcp will let me select a range of the clip that i want to import but then nothing happens."

You can't do this on clips that are already .mov and don't need rewrapping.

You can use the QuickTime 7 method I outlined earlier, or transcode only the pieces you need using Compressor.

You can also bring in the entire original clip referenced (don't check the import to Event checkbox), cut it down on a Projexc to the length you want, and export that section or sections as ProRes.

Or get a bigger hard drive. ;)

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Colin Ryan
on Aug 6, 2013 at 3:09:43 am

I think i have the solution. Client is sending over a larger external. :)

Im still curious, What is that on the import screen that appears to let you set a range on a clip before importing it?

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Aug 6, 2013 at 5:38:21 am

[Colin Ryan] "Im still curious, What is that on the import screen that appears to let you set a range on a clip before importing it?
"

Stay with me here.

First reality. X is entirely referential. X is also all about the manipulation of metadata. Unlike earlier NLEs - it doesn't really CARE where the original files are stored - all it cares about is that it has the REFERENCES necessary to point to where the original files are located. It does this by carefully indexing anything that looks like a hard drive or data card when it's mounted. and reading ithe sources directory data into it's overall database.

So you hook up a hard drive. The content on it is not indexed since X doesn't know it from a block of rock. So you launch FCP-X and you choose to IMPORT the files from the cards or drives. Now you can do this in broadly one of two ways. You can elect to import COPIES of the original footage directly into your EVENTS - in which case, X copies and stores them in an Original Media folder - connected to a specific EVENT. If you choose to do this, then your available drive space gets smaller - but the Original media doesn't ever go away unless you specifically decide to dump it.

The OTHER way to import stuff into X is to choose NOT to copy the files into the event folder. If you do that, then instead of importing copies, X simply references the location of the original files wherever they are when you import them. They can be on the same drive, or a different drive or on a network, but only small "alias" files are created in the Event - and X will look for the ID of whatever device originally held them and link up automatically when it sees said disk.

With that background in mind, on to your specific question.

By deciding NOT to import your content directly into the Original Media folders - you're essentially telling X to use them from where ever they were when you originally imported them. You ALSO told X (whether or not you realized it) the TYPE of files you were importing. X has a pretty wide range of files that it can work with as "native" files.

You were also offered the option to transcode the importing files into one or both of X's "favorite" formats. The first is ProRes - the second is X's special Proxy file format. (there's actually a third transcode that takes place automatically with X rapidly generating instant thumbnail video files that it can use to let you get to work nearly instantly! This gets you to work FAST while any needed transcoding happens in the background or later.) but for your question, that's not important.

What IS important is that if the files you import are of a type that X feels it can handle natively - AND you don't ask for any ProRes or Proxy transcoding - then you're essentially telling X to just reference the data that's already on on your disk in the form of the fundamental source clips. So when you Range and import - it just sits there - because it already HAS what it needs to work with that footage. No further import is required. However, if you get more space, most here would recommend that you let X do it's preferred transcoding and work in ProRes and/or FC:-X Proxy if at all possible. It just makes things easier in the long run. Also, tell your clients that you prefer that they NOT disconnect the files from whatever they are shot on and to send them to you as isolated clips. X benefits from being able to read the metadata sidecar files that come with most modern footage types.

This whole "referential" system takes a bit of getting used to.

Essentially, X just needs to know where to go to get the original data - since everything else that happens in X is done via referential metadata. That metadata is all dumped into the big X database - and then everything else you do is just adding metadata to other metadata.

It causes some unexpected behaviors that take some getting used to. For example, when you mount a drive, X reads its info into the database, so after mounting, you can't just dump mounted disks willy nilly - because that's kinda like ripping part of the connected database reference structure out by the roots.

The structure is kinda rigid, precisely because having everything interconnected is where a lot of the power in the program comes from.

As we often say here. X is NOT like the NLE programs you're used to.

It's a different and very powerful model that's still developing.

Basically, the issue you're having is that you don't NEED to "import" the range, since X already knows where to find that source data.

As you progress, you might take the time to do some research about disk images and sparse bundles - rather than having clients just send you disks that have no FCP-X structure outside isolated clips - they're a lot easier to use with X than just mounting drives and having X directly reference clips from them.

But that's up to you.

Hope all this helps.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Sandeep Sajeev
on Aug 6, 2013 at 11:58:54 am

The only thing that's different is that now you don't have to wait while FCP transcodes the footage (if you've chosen to transcode).

Some of the terminology has changed, but if you're coming from 7, the way in which FCPX handles import is basically the same. Unless you've never used Log and Transfer or had footage outside the default Capture Scratch folder in 7.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Aug 6, 2013 at 6:11:48 pm

[Colin Ryan] "Im still curious, What is that on the import screen that appears to let you set a range on a clip before importing it?"

it's wholly depndent on your source footage.

Like Sandeep mentions, FCPX is not very different from 7 in this regard, it's just that the import window and log and transfer window are now unified in FCPX but perform different functions in one window.

X wants .mov source files. If your files are already .mov, it will import them as there's no "reason" to transcode as FCPX assumes that you already have the material on a hard drive, there's plenty of space, and you can start editing right away.

This is unlike sources that aren't in already in .mov. Since you have to rewrap or transcode to .mov from non .mov sources (such as camera media structures in MXF or MTS) then FCPX gives you the option to rewrap natively or transcode the exact pieces that you mark. This will essentially be making a new instance of the media in ProRes mov format, and it will at the very least double your drive space requirements, if not quadruple it or more.

In short, FCPX assumes your .mov media needs no trimming, and makes an assumption that you don't need a separate cut down of an original .mov file.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Colin Ryan
on Aug 7, 2013 at 4:34:43 pm

A larger drive is on its way. So there should be no issues transcoding a few extra hours of h264 into prores/proxy. I was just trying to see if there was a way to select parts of a clip to transcode instead of the whole clip. I was saying import before but what i think what i meant was transcode. Mixing up the terminology.
i will look into disk images and sparse bundles.

Thanks alot guys!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]