FORUMS: list search recent posts

A funny Story, Related to the FCP X user base

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg Burke
A funny Story, Related to the FCP X user base
on Jun 25, 2011 at 1:24:39 am

I recently covered a event as a Post Super on site, and my friend who works for another company was covering it to, we were both cutting on final cut, but all during day one, He was cursing at his laptop so I came over to see what was wrong. He was upset that every time he put a transition in, moved overlapping footage or cut to gameplay /trailers he had to render and couldn't watch it unless he rendered. well....

He was working in H.264 format(he didn't understand what that meant Btw) from the Canon 60e
He did not have/ nor know he needed a plug in/driver to use log and transfer with the canon 60e
He didnt understand what log and transfer was
The trailers he was using were in, AVI, WMV, MOV,MP4, Mv2, MIXED IN Multiple Timelines!
He said he didnt have TIME to download plug ins and learn, he needed this done now!
Needless to say he Wasn't making Deadlines and Came in a few days later with Premiere Pro letting me fully know " This a REAL editing Program, unlike Crappy Final cut..."

He sells himself as a editor....

This is the future of apples editors folks, Why do we need to learn anything, Just drag and drop and it should work without probelms. This is Who FCP X is targeting.....Goodbye High paid Final cut work...Hello AVID/PP

I wear many hats.
http://www.gregburkepost.com

Return to posts index

james carey
Re: A funny Story, Related to the FCP X user base
on Jun 25, 2011 at 1:33:19 am

The sad part of your funny story: Over the years i have watched badly edited films and videos become accepted as the norm, as a "style" because of the proliferation of easier to use tools - if the public is subjected to crap for long enough it begins to seem right. The art and craft is being usurped by the ease. Tools like FCPx will just hasten this process. Oh well.

Jim Carey
Director of Video, Radical Entertainment
linkedin: http://ca.linkedin.com/in/jcarey256
mobygames: http://www.mobygames.com/developer/sheet/view/developerId,17212/

Return to posts index

Dustin Parsons
on Jun 25, 2011 at 1:46:51 am

uuuugh... I really don't want to agree with you James but, sadly I have to.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Jun 25, 2011 at 2:18:53 am

Well, I'm sorry but being able to mix multiple formatted video clips in the same timeline is a great feature to have, has nothing to do with your editing ability or not.

I'm not sure what your point is exactly.

Return to posts index

Pat Harris
on Jun 25, 2011 at 2:22:38 am

His point was that Final cut X was targeting editors like the one mentioned who didnt "take the time" to learn the truth about what need to be done with edited files...

although either way I'm sure you'll get a much better video in final cut x if you transcode it into prores vs editing in h.264 compression... although i could be wrong.

I'm just disappointed that apple is targeting this editing base of people, because final cut x had some really promising features that could have been great. (or maybe still can if implemented correctly over the course of a few years)

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Jun 25, 2011 at 2:30:09 am

fair enough - and lets focus -

apple have just coded and dropped an unimaginable number of people in the sh*t.

lets all just remember what an editing application looks like and try to speak to apple.

If they don't give vocal back soon, all the facilities may really be gone, a ton of london are literally walking as we speak - we have to find a way to communicate brass tacks to the company. There are annual budgets everywhere and the numbers are dropping around us. There has to be a way to communicate. Storylines with second storylines auto linking is going to fail at every single last professional hurdle. forget the lack of multicam, that alone - the timeline is becoming a spoken joke.

http://www.ogallchoir.net
promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Sohrab Sandhu
on Jun 25, 2011 at 4:11:54 am

[Aindreas Gallagher] "lets all just remember what an editing application looks like and try to speak to apple."

WAKE UP! WAKE UP! WAKE UP!

Why do you want to bang your head in the wall? Its not a door, its a wall. Its all pointless.

My simple advice, Move on. Once you decide to move on, you will realize life is beautiful again! :-)

Sohrab

2.66 GHz 8-core, ATI Radeon HD 4870,
FCS 3, AJA Kona Lhi

"The creative person wants to be a know-it-all. He wants to know about all kinds of things: ancient history, nineteenth-century mathematics, current manufacturing techniques, flower arranging, and hog futures. Because he never knows when these ideas might come together to form a new idea. It may happen six minutes later or six months, or six years down the road. But he has faith that it will happen." -- Carl Ally

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Jun 25, 2011 at 11:36:38 am

no no -

we kick their asses and we get our editing application back - is anyone confused on this point?

We kick their asses and we get our editing application back.

http://www.ogallchoir.net
promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]