FORUMS: list search recent posts

OT: Slow H.264 Creation

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brett Sherman
OT: Slow H.264 Creation
on Jul 30, 2013 at 7:13:34 pm

I'm trying to move to an automated workflow for output of multiple files. The one thing that is driving me nuts is how slow Compressor and Telestream Episode are at making H.264 files. I've been using Turbo.264 software edition previously and this $50 piece of software blows them both out of the water in speed and quality. Telestream takes 3X as long, Compressor takes about 10X as long. Why do these industry-leading programs perform so poorly in comparison.

Return to posts index

Brandon Cordy
Re: OT: Slow H.264 Creation
on Jul 30, 2013 at 7:50:52 pm

How many passes do Turbo264 and Telestream use during encoding? Compressor is as slow as it is because, when it does multi-pass H.264 encoding using Apple's H.264 Encoder, it's doing eight passes.

By comparison, the MainCOncept encoder used in the Adobe products does no more than two passes.

Return to posts index

Brett Sherman
Re: OT: Slow H.264 Creation
on Jul 31, 2013 at 2:03:35 pm

You're right I was using Multi-pass. When I turn multi-pass off Compressor is 25% longer time. However, the quality is MUCH, MUCH worse than Turbo.264. They aren't even in the same ballpark. I'm still puzzled as to why Apple can't make a decent H.264 encoder.

As of now, nothing beats the time/quality balance of Turbo.264 in my book. Come on Apple and Telestream, try a little harder.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]