FORUMS: list search recent posts

Audition Function

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sascha Engel
Audition Function
on Jul 25, 2013 at 1:34:08 pm

Oh God, way to much appearance of my name on that side right now! But it's temporary - I promise.
And once I rock'n'roll in X, I will repay by passing my knowledge on in the COW and helping others :-)

If I drop a clip on another one on the TL to ad to audition, I wonder, if there is a way, to ad it in a replace way to audition, meaning, that the clip I ad to audition to the existing clip, will take the exact same length on the TL than the original clip and not having it's own length and by this either pushing the content behind either to the right or the left?

Thanx.

Sascha Engel
TIME BANDITZ Productions
http://www.youtube.com/taikang

Return to posts index

Ronny Courtens
Re: Audition Function
on Jul 25, 2013 at 4:32:01 pm

You will have to make sure the clip you are adding as an Audition has the same length as the original clip on the Timeline:

1. Select the clip on the Timeline and press CTRL+D.
This will show you the length of the clip in the time counter under the Viewer. Say the length shows 5:12

2. Select the clip you want to add as an Audition, set an In point and press CTRL+D. Then enter 512 on your numeric keypad and press Return.

3. Press SHIFT+Y to add the clip as an Audition.

When you open the Audition you will have two clips of exactly the same length and nothing will move on your Timeline when you switch from one clip to the other.

Return to posts index

Sascha Engel
on Jul 25, 2013 at 5:47:49 pm

Perfect, that was exactly what I was looking for! :-)
Thanks a lot!

Greetings,

Sascha Engel
TIME BANDITZ Productions

Return to posts index

Sascha Engel
on Jul 25, 2013 at 6:56:12 pm

Ii zag het net, je bent uit belgie. Waar vandaan? Ik heb 10 jaar in Nederland gewont. Ben je Vlaams?

Groeten,

Sascha Engel
TIME BANDITZ Productions

Return to posts index

Ronny Courtens
on Jul 25, 2013 at 7:19:09 pm

Your Dutch is very good! Yes I'm Belgian. I live in Flanders near the French border, but my post house is in Brussels.

Return to posts index

Sascha Engel
on Jul 25, 2013 at 11:14:17 pm

Bedankt, dat hoor ik graag. Ik woon nu al 8 jaren niet meer in Nederland, maar in Israel.

Groeten uit het kokende Tel Aviv ;-)

שבת שלום!

Sascha Engel
TIME BANDITZ Productions

Return to posts index

Brett Sherman
on Jul 26, 2013 at 11:33:49 am

This would be a great feature. When you're dealing with secondary timelines, you almost always want the clip to stay the same length. This is the main reason why I rarely use auditions. There should be a "Add Audition From Start" option that would keep the clip length the same.

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Jul 26, 2013 at 2:08:42 pm

[Brett Sherman] "There should be a "Add Audition From Start" option that would keep the clip length the same."

Any NLE can show different clip versions of the same length by stacking the clips above each other and activating them as needed. The beauty of Auditions is precisely the ability to drop in clips of different lengths within the context of the same timeline. Why add an option that eliminates it's uniqueness?

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

Brett Sherman
on Jul 28, 2013 at 2:24:37 pm

[Herb Sevush] "Any NLE can show different clip versions of the same length by stacking the clips above each other and activating them as needed."

Well, only if make the Ins and Outs of the new clip identical to the one you're placing over. That's my point, it's needless labor. And that method ends up with a sloppy timeline. I don't get why having the option for me to do what I want affects your ability to do what you want. Sort of like the classic argument against gay marriage.

And that's not to say I wouldn't want to use Auditioning where the clip length changes also. My point is in secondary timelines when you change the length of clip B, it changes the relationship of clips C-Z to the primary storyline. Sometimes that's fine, sometimes it's not.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]