FORUMS: list search recent posts

Musing on my Keyboard Shortcuts Survey..

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bill Davis
Musing on my Keyboard Shortcuts Survey..
on Jul 24, 2013 at 7:16:02 pm

I spent my morning working on the lesson plan for my Top Keyboard Shortcuts thing that I polled the board about a couple of weeks back. I've talked to maybe 15 editors in total both here on the Cow and among friends around the US who use X.

One interesting thing that's emerged is that there seems to be groups of editors in a couple of clusters that have surprised me.

One group I'll call "timeline oriented editors" and one I'd call "compositing oriented editors."

Those are arbitrary designations, or course, and all the editors use all the tools, it's just that in my very informal "most used" keyboard shortcuts survey, there appears to be quite a split.

The Timeline editors all focused on timeline trimming speed tools. They favor shortcuts that trim, move and help the editor work in the linear dimension of time.

The Compositing Editors all mentioned a totally different group of keyboard shortcuts based around making it easier to build graphic composites on screen.

For the compositors, it appears they spend more time in areas like Crop, Distort, Copy and Paste Attributes and the other modes that are kinda "depth" oriented rather than "time" oriented.

It's just an observation. Nothing scientific. But I thought it would make an interesting conversation starter here.

I've got a music video to cut today and tomorrow where a solo torch singer did 12 takes of her song with two cameras in my studio - so I get to play with stacking up a 24 track multi-cam clip to see how that fares in X. So far, so good - and many thanks to the X engineers for Proxy editing!

Just fodder for thought...

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]