FORUMS: list search recent posts

Migration Strategy - Update

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Petty
Migration Strategy - Update
on Jun 24, 2011 at 11:53:42 pm

Just to pass along an update...

I know there have been some questions about updating FCS3 after a reinstall. I just did a full install of Snow Leopard and FCS 3 (both from install disks) on a clean 1TB Hard Drive (actually partitioned into 2, 500 Gig segments with the install on one of the partitions and the other empty).

The install went flawlessly including Snow Leopard and FCS 3 updating to their latest versions (FCP is at 7.03 for example) through Software Update.

So I now have a clean fully functioning FCS3 on the shelf in case of emergency. I'll continue using FCP7 for the foreseeable future on my main work Mac Pro...and create partitions on one of my existing internal drives for Snow Leopard/FCPX and Lion/FCPX following Mr. Weiss' strategy. Then I can play with FCPX without worrying about corrupting my work workflow.

All the FCPX agida aside, I feel like I have a pretty good safety net and the opportunity to adapt to the new software on my own schedule.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Migration Strategy - Update
on Jun 24, 2011 at 11:57:23 pm

[Mike Petty] "All the FCPX agida aside, I feel like I have a pretty good safety net and the opportunity to adapt to the new software on my own schedule."

Good job Mike!!!

Doesn't it feel really good when you're able to ditch worries and focus on the more important stuff? It does for me.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

Don't miss my new tutorial: Prepare for a seamless transition to FCP X and OS X Lion
http://library.creativecow.net/weiss_roth_david/FCP-10-MAC-Lion/1

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

Mike Petty
on Jun 25, 2011 at 12:53:02 am

Indeed...

Now I can spend my leisure time perusing posts from the disgruntled editing mavens who (despite swearing they were abandoning FCP sooner than fast) are still hanging the the FCP boards grinding their apparently endless supply of axes bitching about how they have been SCREWED!!!

Not for nothing but if you are going to go to Adobe or Avid, Sierra Tango Foxtrot Uniform and go!

Aloha

Return to posts index

Tom Daigon
on Jun 25, 2011 at 1:02:58 am

There you go getting Petty...Mike. Enjoy playing with your orphaned software. And be sure to let the door hit you in the butt as I leave :P

Tom Daigon
Avid DS / FCP / After Effects Editor
http://www.hdshotsandcuts.com

Return to posts index

Mike Petty
on Jun 25, 2011 at 1:15:34 am

Really? The double entendre make fun of my name thing? Last time I got that was from some girl in Junior High School.

And then you go and precisely prove my point...

Whew.

Return to posts index

Stuart Smith
on Jun 25, 2011 at 2:42:59 am

Sorry, I don't understand why people who hate this, so far, horrible update to FCP and have already moved on to something else are still here? As much as we may take it personally, to any software/hardware manufacturing company it is still just business.

You're mantra has been heard and understood - many times.

And I'm pretty much in the same boat as you, so you should know when enough is enough

Return to posts index

Greg Penetrante
on Jun 25, 2011 at 1:03:18 am

[Mike Petty] "Now I can spend my leisure time perusing posts from the disgruntled editing mavens who (despite swearing they were abandoning FCP sooner than fast) are still hanging the the FCP boards grinding their apparently endless supply of axes bitching about how they have been SCREWED!!!

Not for nothing but if you are going to go to Adobe or Avid, Sierra Tango Foxtrot Uniform and go!

Aloha
"

Woohoo!
Amen, buddy ;-)

-Greg

Return to posts index

Sam Krauser
on Jun 25, 2011 at 2:05:53 am

Everyone should listen to this guy.

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Jun 25, 2011 at 2:52:07 pm

Mike did you just tell anyone and everyone who complains on this board about the state of FCPX to shut the f**k up?

How precisely have you determined that it is your say so?

You'll note the degree of press coverage the flaws in this software are beginning to attract. That is largely because we are all, as a group of professionals, making noise on this forum and elsewhere. most articles are quoting directly or indirectly feedback from the user forums. Pogue actually quoted "cannot pause or fork autosave" in his latest piece listing the problems - that line comes directly from one of my rants. Walter biscardi has been directly quoted numerous times, harringtons response to pogue has been quoted. It is very important that we all forcefully push and maintain a strong line on the issues pertaining to FCPX, so telling everyone to shut the f**k up is not useful.

http://www.ogallchoir.net
promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Daniel Frome
on Jun 25, 2011 at 3:47:54 am

Ditto. My FCP7 isn't going anywhere. I've got too much invested in plugins and 3rd party stuff to let it go anytime soon, not to mention that I use for the day-job every day.

BUT... I also purchased Media Composer 5 last month in anticipation (this was more long-term thought, but expedited by Apple's shift in market). Boy... the old dinosaur has changed. I haven't used an AVID product in many years. After some tutorials I'm a fan but won't say it's some kind of magical "awesome" piece of software. In fact...I'd say it feels more like a flying military aircraft... so many dials and knobs it's daunting... but really satisfying when it starts to make sense.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]