FORUMS: list search recent posts

Logic Pro X - a sign of things to come.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Davidson
Logic Pro X - a sign of things to come.
on Jul 20, 2013 at 9:02:15 pm

I'm kind of blown away by the iPad Logic Remote app and it's integration with LPX. I'm going to go ahead and call it that if all pro apps get this type of treatment going forward, you're going to want an iPad in every single edit suite.

I'm not a huge logic pro user - while I've learned quite a few things about it in V9 and even built some stuff for OnAir with it, I didn't go too deep because for the last year or so I was holding out for this X version. The iPad integration is probably the best blending of hardware between apple products I've seen since airplay was introduced. In fact, it might be better than the introduction of airplay because Apple has eliminated a need for a USB midi keyboard, a drum pad (like Maschine), and the iPad app has zero latency, which is deadly when making music.

By all accounts this is a fantastic update. I'd say for the first time in a long while I'm really really excited to learn software. The iPad just got firmly brought into the production world. If you've used those FCP/FCPX helper apps that are essentially fancy shortcuts, this logic remote app is nothing like that. This blends the strengths of the iPad touch screen interface with the power of your mac. Not only that, it indicates that the divisions of products Apple creates are becoming more interwoven and that they're "getting it".

What an awesome, unexpected surprise we got this week. I believe (and very much hope) this is a sign of major things to come.

about the pic: Creative Cow likes to make all my pictures upside down. Pretend I'm in Australia.

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

Dave Gage
Re: Logic Pro X - a sign of things to come.
on Jul 20, 2013 at 9:40:55 pm

John,

Based on your post, I went on over to Youtube and searched on Logic X and iPad and found this-

It truly is a new world. I'll stick with Logic 9 for a while longer, but this video really makes me want the new Logic X and finally pick up an iPad.

I'm also really impressed with the new Flex Pitch. If it's anywhere near what Melodyne can do (although if I understand correctly, Logic will only work with a singe voice mono track unlike Melodyne), what a great deal for $200.

Thanks,
Dave

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Jul 20, 2013 at 9:46:18 pm

Thanks! You know, I am so eager to learn it well and quickly that I just bought a year's worth of MacProVideo.com's tutorials on it. Just the Midi FX alone are tripping me out. I have to say that so far I'm pleased with this tutorial purchase.

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Jul 20, 2013 at 10:00:07 pm

WOW. It has a massive leslie/B3 Hammond plugin. Tons of settings on it!

Return to posts index

Dave Gage
on Jul 20, 2013 at 10:42:30 pm

[John Davidson] "Just the Midi FX alone are tripping me out."

Yep, very cool. The "Arpeggiator" seems well thought out and useful for modern programming. I'm also really impressed with the "Drummer". Boy, digital drums have really come a long way since the first 80's drum machines.

According to Charlie's experience, I guess the XML to/from FCPX needs some work, but it still seems like a really good .0 release.

Dave

Return to posts index

David Eaks
on Jul 20, 2013 at 10:19:27 pm

Nice find Dave! Although I had a bit of a hard time absorbing much from the video, as my mind wonders into thinking about an FCPX version at every flick of her finger.

Return to posts index

Gerry Fraiberg
on Jul 21, 2013 at 3:29:44 am

Mouth agape in awe. This is truly amazing.

Return to posts index

David Eaks
on Jul 20, 2013 at 10:00:51 pm

I was meaning to start a thread asking about the iPad app for LPX. Glad to hear its solid and its integration is actually useful. I bought and fiddled with LPX a bit, but honestly I'm pretty lost. Never even got to messing with the App. Although its very different to video editing, I figure that if they can get this right, there is at least a chance that they can do it for FCPX too. I find the current FCPX controller apps to be worthless to me. They try to "replace" the keyboard and mouse, that's just not going to happen. We need a supplement to keyboard and mouse, with navigation shortcuts, favorite effects and transitions etc, layout switching. IMO.

It's been nice to see a positive reception to an X app. Really looking forward to learning it and creating some sound for video my projects.

Out of curiosity, is your photo from and iphone, saved to a windows PC, then uploaded?

Return to posts index

Jim Giberti
on Jul 20, 2013 at 10:12:00 pm

I feel pretty much the same about the new Logic, but not because of the iPad implementation (i've got a full midi'ed piano in my edit room.)

I've been waiting for the new LPX for a while. Not like so many others working with 9 for so long but as a DP user waiting to bring my film/music studio into the Apple fold. I don't score and produce anything like I used to because the visual end has become so much a focus, but for general audio post and music production this was really great to see.

Because music has become such a lower priority, I've grown to use Garage Band as a way to do quick pieces for TV spots and shorts. I really wanted the integration with GB that Logic brought and I was getting tired of a few aspects of DP. But after the FCPX transition I really didn't want to learn a new program just to potentially relearn it with the "impending" X upgrade.

Anyway, at quick glance, I really like the feel of the program, and it's GUI. It'll take a bit before I can really spend any time with it given my current schedule, but I'm really looking forward to having my film and music production all going the same direction for the first time after all these years.

I just picked up a new 15" retina for location work and I'm still in wonder that it, FCPX, and now LPX all reside in this little neoprene case I travel with. I used to require two floors of a building to do this stuff...and those studios couldn't touch these apps on a Retina. And FCP, Logic, Motion and Compressor cost less than a monthly electric bill did then.

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Jul 21, 2013 at 12:23:17 am

Check this out Jim - you sit at your midi keyboard with the ipad on it. You can trigger record of the piano, a guitar, vo booth, etc, from the iPad. You can then delete what you recorded and record again - without having to get up or deal with a mouse across the room. It's kind of a second screen - that's what the MPV guys call it at least.

Return to posts index

Mark Dobson
on Jul 21, 2013 at 9:29:35 am

I bought Logic Pro X the day after it was launched and whilst I've yet to create any new music with it I'm really impressed with the package. The installation was really smooth with a panel that analysed what existing Logic Assets / sound files you have on your system.

The new interface is much clearer and easier to navigate around and I'm sure we will see some work done on the FCPX U/I in the next update.

And maybe Apple will introduce an iPad extension for FCPX either for transport control, in both the Event and Project windows and more especially within the Color panel.

But what the update really demonstrates is that a lot of very clear thinking has gone into the re-design of this application and that augers well for all the other Pro Apps.

Interesting there is now a direct link to launch Logic projects from within the sound browser of FCPX and whilst my first experiments of exporting a FCPX XML from a project ended in a logic track with 260 channels, a bit like scrambled eggs, others have reported the same bug, I think that there will be an option of
seemless FCPX / Logic Pro X track based mix downs in the near future.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Jul 21, 2013 at 12:21:54 pm

Even though the XML import appears to be broken, aaf files from X2pro work very well so for me this is a huge bonus. I really like the new interface as well.

Steve Connor

There's nothing we can't argue about on the FCPX COW Forum

Return to posts index

Jim Giberti
on Jul 21, 2013 at 3:51:15 pm

Yeah it's a crazy world John.
I'm already running cameras on location with the iPad, and now there's an app for that .

And I'm of the same thinking as Mark...that this first implementation with FCPX will evolve and be running smoothly soon.

I was like a lot of folks a couple of years ago (how the time flies), I looked seriously at Adobe, but ultimately opted to stay with Apple for FCP, Motion and Compressor and that's worked out well and I expect to see growing rewards of there integration. Right now I'm really delighted with how FCPX and Compressor interface and the speed and ease of transcoding with the new setup.

I was really hopeful regarding Logic and the ability to streamline my workflow. I'm all about smaller and lighter cameras and LED lighting, Retinas and iPads and integrated solutions.

If being happy with the decision makes me a fan boy, then fan boy I am.

Return to posts index

Jim Giberti
on Jul 21, 2013 at 4:03:13 pm

Also I continue to be impressed with how many of my film producing friends are also music composers.
Now we just need an app that creates more time in the day.

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Jul 21, 2013 at 6:17:36 pm

Have you found an app that works for Sony cameras, Jim? I would give my left spectacle for a good one to view and/or control the FS700 via iPad.

Return to posts index

Jim Giberti
on Jul 21, 2013 at 6:33:57 pm

No, but wifi is going to become a mandatory on new cameras coming forward.
We picked up a pair of GH3s for small slow motion cameras, and their wifi implementation is pretty awesome. Nothing after you hit record of course but you can run the entire camera from an iPad.

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Jul 21, 2013 at 4:52:13 pm

I've been using iPad controller apps for a couple of years now, and enjoy them. Before that, I often used a Cintiq as a mixer. Its kinda cool, now, to see them integrated with the package itself.

AC7 Core was quite useful for FCP7. I used it with my laptop al the time:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ac-7-core-hd/id586159945?mt=8

When I finish the projects I'm currently on, I'll be breaking V Control Pro in:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/v-control-pro/id400423823?mt=8

It works with everything but X.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jul 23, 2013 at 12:38:46 am

Just so you know John, here's the corrected map of the world so upside down is the new norm for the northern hemisphere

http://upside-down-maps.com/about.html

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Jul 23, 2013 at 8:19:02 pm

A really great, comprehensive article by Alex Gollner on what hints Logic Pro X may give us into future FCPX development.

http://alex4d.wordpress.com/2013/07/23/logic-pro-x-n-future-fcpx/

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]