FORUMS: list search recent posts

Automatic audio cross fade with video transitions

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Julian Bowman
Automatic audio cross fade with video transitions
on Jul 17, 2013 at 12:38:26 pm

Why? Just why?

I appreciate Apple building the editing software I use, I do, really, thanks Apple, but I don't appreciate them forcing their editing decisions upon my work and making me have to go back through my edit undoing the automatic audio crossfades they add when I add a VIDEO transition. There we go, the clue in my wishes is in the transition I used, a VIDEO transition. If I wanted to cross fade the audio I would use an AUDIO transition. In fact I would use the standard AUDIO transition they included in the software.... oh, right!

Also discovered an infuriating bug where when I pull the audio back to the transition join and then do the other end it pops it back to the end of the transition and makes the other end do the same, so really the only way of really controlling my audio to my wishes appears to be detach audio, which is great until I want it to move it with the video. At least I know how much it has gotten out of sync when it moves around... oh, wait, no, that was FCP7.

Before Apple stick 'new' features that 16 top end editing houses would want but will never use because they're sticking with Avid or moving to Adobe, they really need to sit down and sort out the rather long list of bugs, stupidity and poor design decisions they have implemented.

Still no +/- 3db shortcut.
Still no remove filters.
Still no single keystroke for a 1 sec forward or backward jump
Still no option to turn off auto audio cross fade (please someone tell me I am wrong)
Still jumping to the start of the timeline when you CTRL+Z sometimes
Zooming in and out is still a lottery of where it will go
and on and on and on.

2 years. This is no longer a new piece of software, yet I am still fighting with nonsense every edit.

/gripe

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
Re: Automatic audio cross fade with video transitions
on Jul 17, 2013 at 12:44:21 pm

View menu - expand Audio/Video clips for all

Then transitions only apply to video.

Same if you double click both clips to expand them

Steve Connor

There's nothing we can't argue about on the FCPX COW Forum

Return to posts index

Julian Bowman
on Jul 17, 2013 at 12:48:06 pm

Thank you Steve. That is a workaround. Still doesn't negate the gripe that it shouldn't be in there or should be turn on/off-able. Why should I have to a) add another action to a process that shouldn't be forced and b) clutter up my timeline with extra expanded elements, I like it nice and neat so I can see what is going on.

Auto cross fade, on/off.

In addition it appears that when I subsequently add a new clip it doesn't come in expanded, so I need to do that again. And again. And again....

Return to posts index

Dave Gage
on Jul 17, 2013 at 12:55:12 pm

[Julian Bowman] "Auto cross fade, on/off."

And then there's this...
http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/344/18364

Dave

Return to posts index

Julian Bowman
on Jul 17, 2013 at 1:02:19 pm

*sigh*

:)

Return to posts index

David Eaks
on Jul 18, 2013 at 9:18:13 am

[Dave Gage] "[Julian Bowman] "Auto cross fade, on/off."

And then there's this...
http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/344/18364"

Yeah, and because of that bug (which I'm still seeing after recently updating to ML 10.8.4 and FCPX 10.0.8) I'd recommend against working with expanded audio for the most part. Except stuff like: expand, drag L-cut, collapse and similar operations, they seem ok. Just don't make a cut in an expanded clip. It sucks, I know. Please send feedback to Apple.

Return to posts index

Mathieu Ghekiere
on Jul 17, 2013 at 5:23:05 pm

"Still doesn't negate the gripe that it shouldn't be in there or should be turn on/off-able. Why should I have to a) add another action to a process that shouldn't be forced and b) clutter up my timeline with extra expanded elements, I like it nice and neat so I can see what is going on.

Auto cross fade, on/off.

In addition it appears that when I subsequently add a new clip it doesn't come in expanded, so I need to do that again. And again. And again...."

Well, you do make some good points. The thing about adding a new clip that doesn't come in expanded, also drives me nuts. This is easily to do by Apple: once you choose 'Expand ALL", every new clip should come in expanded. It's that simple. They actually made it more like Premiere was before, and that drove me nuts. I sent feedback to Apple a couple of times about this.

I don't think it's wrong that it's automatically there, but it would be nice if there would be seperate shortcuts, or an on/off toggle for it.

Return to posts index

Bob Woodhead
on Jul 17, 2013 at 12:46:21 pm

option-s expands audio, allowing the selection of video-only for trans. not as good as an option, but better than detaching audio

Return to posts index

Michael Hadley
on Jul 17, 2013 at 5:04:01 pm

that's fastest/easiest way. And there are no audio dissolves because they are made quite easily in the timeline. Right click on the audio "nib' and you get four choices right there, including +/- 3db. Faster than dragging an effect from the Effects folder in 7.

For me, the video/audio transition is a pain 50% of the time. The other 50% it's what I was going to do anyway so it's actually a time saver.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]