FORUMS: list search recent posts

Monitoring FCPX with BM Inensity Pixelated

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Taylor Martyn
Monitoring FCPX with BM Inensity Pixelated
on Jul 17, 2013 at 10:17:24 am

Hey gents. Hoping you can shed some light on an issue I'm having with FCPx and external video monitoring. I'm using a Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle Thunderbolt to monitor onto a Sony 1080p TV. I'm using the newest Desktop Video software (had same issue with earlier versions), newest FCPx 10.0.8 (had the issue with earlier versions). My source video is 1080p 25. I have tested with 23.xx (24p) as well with same results. The settings in DV are set and matched when I open up FCPx. I can see the monitor is working, but it looks like it's scaled. Almost like somewhere in the stream it's converting to SD and then scaling back up. It's not big pixelation, but certainly not smooth 1080p. I have rendered out the video (feature film) and watched on TV mid-edit and it looks really nice, but when monitoring, not so nice. I don't think it is an FCPx issue as it seems to happen in Resolve and in Magic Bullet Looks. though honestly I've spent very little time in Resolve, so I'm not as such if the issue is the same there, to many other issues to get it working with my deadline. My FCPx timeline is a mess so I had to ditch Resolve.

Any suggestions/thoughts would be really appreciated. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: Monitoring FCPX with BM Inensity Pixelated
on Jul 18, 2013 at 3:41:16 am

You've failed to mention what your output settings are in the blackmagic design system prefs control panel.

The setting that says "set default video standard as:" is the one you're looking for. Right underneath the setting it also reads "Final Cut Pro X and startup video output will use this setting.

So, if you have it set to NTSC SD and your TV is PAL, I'd imagine your TV would look like crap. You need to set it to your project settings and reboot FCP X.

If that's not it, then I'm at a loss. Unless you're just trying to playback PAL on an NTSC device.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jul 18, 2013 at 3:45:14 am

Just reread your post. You mention DV. I assume now that you were referring to the blackmagic system panel. If that matches as you say and as I mentioned above, then I'm at a loss. do you have any output processing set in the processing tab? That would explain downscaling.

Return to posts index

Taylor Martyn
on Jul 18, 2013 at 12:29:06 pm

yeah, in a previous version of DV I had some of those settings on (input/output processing) but since updating it turned itself off and I left it that way. The final result seems to be the same.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]