FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best way to organize FCPX Porjects and create the master project? - editing a documentary

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Esther Casas
Best way to organize FCPX Porjects and create the master project? - editing a documentary
on Jul 13, 2013 at 5:57:46 pm

Hello everybody!

I am editing a documentary for the first time..in FCPX. This question might seem a bit obvious for all of you, but I don't have a lot of experience and like to start the right way:

I have these FCPX projects created by my client, they pre-selected footage and divided each category into different Projects. Each project has a main storyline, with all the footage aligned together.
I have to do a selection from this footage in order to start telling the story, where I will also add b-roll from the event library.

My main question is: do I edit their projects deleting the clips I will not use? (and naming the projects with a different name) OR should I create a brand new project(the MASTER where I will export the whole documentary) copying and pasting all the footage from these different projects (into different storylines), and then deleting the clips I don't want from each storyline?

If you have a better way to be well organized, please let me know.
So much appreciated!!!

Thank you everybody!!!

Return to posts index

Esther Casas
Re: Best way to organize FCPX Porjects and create the master project? - editing a documentary
on Jul 13, 2013 at 6:24:07 pm

FORGOT TO MENTION:

The client created the projects for each different interview.

Then there is a huge library of events, of locations and years, which I will select myself and I am thinking to create new FCPX projects with the best selections on each of them, separate the project per year might be the best idea (?).

after doing this I am thinking to maybe create the master project, where i will be adding the clips from the several projects created before.

let's see what you all think...
Thank you!!

Return to posts index

Brett Sherman
Re: Best way to organize FCPX Porjects and create the master project? - editing a documentary
on Jul 14, 2013 at 12:59:39 am

There are so many ways you can go. And so much is dependent on personal preference. In general I don't like to use projects as bins where you just dump the entire interview and cut from that. I like to use keywords and favorites within events to identify selects. And pull over only what I need. But it sounds like your client put you down that road already.

I'd say for a long video if you can divide up into separate projects the better for speed of editing. That way you won't have to load as many events to work on each segment individually. Then when you get the sections pretty much edited, you can put them together into a master project for final cutting and tweaking. You can either use compound clips or just copy and paste from your section projects.

Return to posts index

Esther Casas
on Jul 14, 2013 at 1:16:15 am

hello B, thank you for your reply.
It makes sense,then I will create different projects just because the client already created projects form the different interviews.

I have 3 more questions after thinking about organization...
- if I create new projects from his selected footage to do a 2nd selection: will be copying from his previous created projects, this way I make sure they all have the same settings. So, when you duplicate, you don't really add a lot of space into your hard drive, right? I will duplicate only "referencing" the media files, but not duplicating the clips, right?

- Then I am thinking to create a new folder with my new projects inside the "FCPX project" folder: do you have to quit FCPX in order to do that, right? tried today and it asked me to quit when i created a new folder and moves a project inside (FCPX was open). I guess when you create all these new projects you have to quit and then organize them into new folders, then when you open FCPX again, it will locate them easily, right?

- and the last question: I am working from their external hard drive, as I don't want to copy this massive project into my computer, and this might be a stupid question...but it is better to turn on and off the hard drive from day to day or leave it on? (will only turn off when the computer goes to sleep).
Just trying to avoid any delayed computers- a death of a hard drive..

thanks again B!!! :)

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Jul 14, 2013 at 5:55:11 am

[Esther Casas] "- Then I am thinking to create a new folder with my new projects inside the "FCPX project" folder: do you have to quit FCPX in order to do that, right? tried today and it asked me to quit when i created a new folder and moves a project inside (FCPX was open). I guess when you create all these new projects you have to quit and then organize them into new folders, then when you open FCPX again, it will locate them easily, right?"

Eek! Do that in the FCPX project library. No quitting required. Just right click the drive on which your projects are located, choose new folder. Name it, do whatever you want. You can create subfolders etc, and it'll make 'em all for you. You shouldn't need to (meaning you shouldn't) do anything in the Finder. :-)

-------------------------------------------------------------

~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Esther Casas
on Jul 14, 2013 at 3:49:33 pm

I see, project library, will do!
Thank you Charlie!

Return to posts index

Brett Sherman
on Jul 14, 2013 at 8:58:43 pm

[Esther Casas] "- if I create new projects from his selected footage to do a 2nd selection: will be copying from his previous created projects, this way I make sure they all have the same settings. So, when you duplicate, you don't really add a lot of space into your hard drive, right? I will duplicate only "referencing" the media files, but not duplicating the clips, right?"

You are correct. Projects don't contain media (other than rendered files), events do. So copying the projects won't add a lot of files.

[Esther Casas] "- Then I am thinking to create a new folder with my new projects inside the "FCPX project" folder:"

It would be a good idea to create a folder of the original projects created by the client. You probably won't need to use these, but keep them just in case. Craig's suggestion is a good one, to create a Compound clip of the clients project. Often for a big edit, I create an event which is say "Project X Clips". Make that the main event for your projects so that whenever you make a compound clip or import addational materials it goes into that event. Then I would go through the clients projects - Select All, Make Compound clip, then Break Apart. That will create a compound clip in the event of your choice that you can refer back to without having to load a new project in your timeline.

[Esther Casas] "- and the last question: I am working from their external hard drive, as I don't want to copy this massive project into my computer, and this might be a stupid question...but it is better to turn on and off the hard drive from day to day or leave it on? (will only turn off when the computer goes to sleep)."

You do have a backup plan right? You need to run a daily backup of some sort. Backup for Final Cut Pro is good. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/backups-for-final-cut-pro/id586594646?mt=12

Think about storing your project files and event files(without media) offsite (Dropbox, etc.) for backup. Make sure you have all your media backed up. If you do that, don't sweat as to whether the drive is on or off. Doesn't matter. But make sure in your Energy Saver section you uncheck "Put Hard Disks to Sleep". I've found this creates some trouble.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 14, 2013 at 4:17:55 pm

[Esther Casas] "there is a huge library of events, of locations and years, which I will select myself"

It may depend on structure and how you want to approach but you might want to consider the possibility of merging as it can help in searching (searching across events may be a problem) and the creation of smart collections (smart collections work within an event and merging loses them).

[Esther Casas] "they pre-selected footage and divided each category into different Projects"

You might consider making Compound clips of them so they appear as sources in your Event.
You may want to duplicate the Projects and use the copies so the originals stay intact.
This will allow you to go back to the original and compare against changes or, what you've used in the new Project.
You may want to consider Keywording the selects within each Project by something like Project name.
This would give a Keyword Collection called something like Project X Selects.
You might then create Collections of the Selects for Project X by type; Interview, B-Roll, etc.

Where you go with this may depend on whether the client provided Projects are Selects as opposed to Rough Cuts and how much liberty you have to change.

You may want to organize the clips or portions of clips not selected by the client because you may find the help forward the story in ways the client hasn't anticipated. You might differentiate your selects since the differentiate might help might it clear why you might have changed or added alternate or additional clips.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jul 14, 2013 at 5:25:43 pm

I'm new to organizing as well and this might help you avoid some early mistakes. If you know all this then go back to the guru's who have been great for me.

Whatever you choose, and there is no clear right and wrong, be sure to do all the organization within FCP X. If you start organizing in the finder you will have a mess of relinking to do. I went through this and the only upside is now I know how to relink.

Remember each drive can hold one (and only one) FCP Projects and one Final Cut Events folder and this includes sparse image bundles which is a great way to do root organization because FC with load all events and all projects on all mounted drives. This slows things down if you have a lot of media. So by using sparse images you can have as many virtual drives as you want each with their own set of FC folders. This also makes it very easy to copy entire projects with all related events and projects to another drive, location, back up, etc.

Creating the sparse images is the only part of the organization that would be done in the finder. Create the bundle in disc utility. Then in FC create (or import media) a project and event which FC will put in a "Final Cut Events" folder. From there any event you add will be added to that same event or a new one in that same folder.

The only thing you need to come up with is a naming scheme and a keyword scheme so you remain comfortable organizing everything your client has given you. I'd go through their projects and events and see what meta data is there and then start deciding on what meta data you want to add

You might want to keep all their footage in its own drive or sparse image and copy rather than refer to their media. That way, when you are done creating the events you will actually be using, you can decide not to mount the originals. This will be more complex during the organization (logging) stage but perhaps cleaner during the editing (cutting) stage.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Camcorders: Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV30/40, Sony Z7U, VX2000, PD170; FCP 6 certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jul 15, 2013 at 7:56:51 pm

I stand corrected you can organize in the finder. Good link here:

http://www.larryjordan.biz/fcp-x-move-events-or-projects/?utm_source=Larry%...

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Camcorders: Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV30/40, Sony Z7U, VX2000, PD170; FCP 6 certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Jul 15, 2013 at 8:01:19 pm

[Craig Alan] "I stand corrected you can organize in the finder. Good link here:
"

You definitely can move things in the Finder, but as Larry says, you need to quit FCP first, and you have to be very careful where you put things and how you create Folder "trees". If your geek level isn't high, it's best to do it in the app. :-)

-------------------------------------------------------------

~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jul 15, 2013 at 6:22:55 pm

Sorry I wasn't here for the beginning of this. I've been in Tucson proctoring FCP-X certification classes.

One "global" idea that might help you is to remember that the event browser is essentially a DATABASE.

So it makes extremely poor sense to organize in a storyline (or timeline) when X now gives you a fully functioning relational database that can run rings around any grouping of timelines or projects - when it comes to storing, organizing, searching, finding and calling up clips and/or ranges of clips.

Using timelines and folders for organization was what was necessary when we did NOT have a database at hand.

Now we do.

So it's time to change all that thinking. If you want to mark it, store it, bucket it, sort it, sift it, or otherwise group, retrieve or manipulate it - it should be in the EVENT BROWSER. That's what it's there for.

The good news is that it's a hugely powerful part of X.

The bad news is that just as with any database, you need to develop a keyword strategy that makes sense for you.

Hope that helps.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]