FORUMS: list search recent posts

Promise Pegasus reliability issues...

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ken Zukin
Promise Pegasus reliability issues...
on Jul 8, 2013 at 2:27:20 am

Long time 2008 Mac Pro user -- FCP7 -- migrating to beefed-up iMac and looking to Promise Pegasus R6 for Thunderbolt-based storage...

Just looking at product reviews -- by consumers -- on both B&H and Apple's websites: product seems to have major reliability issues -- out of approx. 70 reviews -- maybe two dozen users report serious problems (mostly drive failures). Too many bad reviews to discount -- and support from Promise lacking, at best...

Any idea if quality has improved in the 2nd year since this product was rolled-out?? Could it have just been a (very) large batch of bad hard-drives??

I have been using a Maxx Digital 6TB raid storage box with zero problems. And Maxx Digital has super tech support...

Thanks much...

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
Re: Promise Pegasus reliability issues...
on Jul 8, 2013 at 3:41:31 am

Thanks for your testimonial, Ken. I need a RAID setup here within the not too distant future, so I'm always curious as to what others are using, and which ones are very happy with their setups.

Return to posts index

Peter Simpson
on Jul 8, 2013 at 8:30:26 am

If it makes any difference have had mine coming up on 2 years and haven't had any issues yet. Have used it extensively everyday as well so seems to be standing up to the test.

Return to posts index

Erik Lindahl
on Jul 9, 2013 at 2:14:56 pm

Can only say the same. Our secondary edit bay is an 2011 iMac with a Pegasus that's been running since dec'11. No hickups so far.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jul 9, 2013 at 7:03:36 pm

Exactly my setup. Except my chassis died before the warranty was up. They replaced without too much issue. But before and after the chasis issue I've noticed that my speeds kinda, well, suck. And they're not consistent.

The drive is only 25-30% full. It's the R4 8th raid 5. So it has 6 useable terabytes. Read speeds when I first got it were in the 400mb/sec range. Now, they range from 80-200. This is using the BMD speed test. I can get 179mb/sec out of a single USB 3 drive that isn't raided. In fact, I have a nextstar guardian maximus usb 3 that is a mirrored 3TB raid. So no speed gain over a single drive. It gets 179mb/sec. Why on earth would I choose the Pegasus raid over this if it's barely faster? Plus, a mirrored raid is the best backup you can have. I worry that I can't get the right drive to replace the pegasus hitachi ones if one breaks. And if two have a problem, you're sol. Thinking about clearing off the pegasus and restriping and see if the speeds come back.

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Jul 9, 2013 at 2:54:24 pm

I will second Ken's recommendation of Maxx Digital. I have two different raids from them, first one is still working fine after 5 years of continuous play, second one gives me 800 - 900 MB/s when 80% full. Excellent tech support.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

Mathieu Ghekiere
on Jul 8, 2013 at 9:32:01 am

We did a big update last year in december, going from old Mac pro's to retina MacBook pro's, working with eSata drives to working with 3x Promise Pegasus raids, going from Fcp7 to FCPX.

Our Pegasus raids have been working the last 7 months perfectly, day and night. These do not stop working at our facility and they are VERY fast.
We only had one issue where one of our 3 Raids suddenly seemed unresponsive. This was fixed with a firmware update, though.

Return to posts index

Patrice Freymond
on Jul 8, 2013 at 10:38:15 am

Hi,

I've been using an R6 Promise Pegasus RAID for two years with no glitch. The only thing that surfaced was a temperature warning this summer when it was around 32 celsius in the office due to a broken AC unit.

The control panel showed one of the temp alerts being 2 degrees over the ideal temp and...nothing happened. It is still operating as asked and is, as Matthieu said, very fast.

I have also bought one earlier this year for a client and it has been running every day since january without a problem.

Hope this helps

Patrice

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jul 9, 2013 at 7:05:10 pm

I had a temperature warning once. Then a firmware fixed it. They simply upped the maximum temperature. IOW, temp stayed the same, they just decided that it could handle it. Makes me wonder.

Return to posts index

Mick Ruane
on Jul 8, 2013 at 10:44:11 am

Have a Pegasus raid for almost two years now and two drives have gone down in that time. The first went down after 11 months and the second after about 15.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Jul 8, 2013 at 5:47:25 pm

Have 2 R-6 boxes, running pretty much 24/7 for 2 years... sharing media over E-net with 5 users. Had 1 drive fail about 6 months ago. Ran it degraded for about 5 days (no problems), popped in a new drive, painless rebuild and all good. Upside is we got a replacement drive from the vendor we purchased from, I sent the old one to Western Digital (was under warranty) and they shipped a new one, so we got a "free" spare. :-)

-------------------------------------------------------------

~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Matt Trubac
on Jul 8, 2013 at 9:52:12 pm

I've had a pegasus r4 for about 3 months. I bought a refurb unit. The first week I had it I received several bad sector warnings, and then the drive completely failed. I called Promise, and had no issues with their support. They answered the call quickly, identified the problem within a few minutes. They shipped a replacement drive, I swapped it in and the raid automatically rebuilt. No problems since.

I've been happy so far. I keep a spare drive handy. I've received other DOA drives from multiple manufacturers.

Return to posts index

Nick Toth
on Jul 8, 2013 at 9:45:07 pm

I have been running an R4 for over two years with no issues. I know three others with R4's. Two have had no problems in a year. One had to replace two drives in a year but had no downtime or lost material.

anickt

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
on Jul 9, 2013 at 12:43:00 am

Why not keep using your Maxx Digital storage?

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index

Ken Zukin
on Jul 9, 2013 at 4:49:33 am

I'd really love to keep using it, but I didn't think that was possible with an i-Mac (Thunderbolt vs. PCI-E) -- perhaps you can enlighten me (and thanks)...

Return to posts index

Fabrizio D'Agnano
on Jul 9, 2013 at 5:25:53 am

There are Thunderbolt to e-sata adapters.
Lacie sells one: http://www.lacie.com/it/products/product.htm?id=10574‎
and Sonnet another one: http://www.sonnettech.com/product/echoexpressse_esataadapter.html
The Lacie is much cheaper, about 190,00 Euros here in Italy (but you should find it at least 20% cheaper there).
Regards

Fabrizio D'Agnano
Rome, Italy
early 2008 MacPro, BM Intensity Pro, early 2008 iMac, 2011 MacBook Pro, FCP7, FCPX, OSX 10.8.3

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jul 9, 2013 at 7:09:04 pm

You can get a usb3 to esata cable for about $15 at amazon. And elsewhere I'm sure. I have one and it doesn't support raided esata speeds, (forget what they call that) but supports the same speeds that a basic sonnet tempo card supported with my old hitachi gtech raid. About 120mb/sec. I think with the full raid support you'd pull in twice that.

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
on Jul 9, 2013 at 12:29:24 pm

What does it connect to? SAS card? eSATA card? Either way there are Thunderbolt to PCIe card chassis available:

Sonnet Echo Express
OWC Helios

...but they are expensive.

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index

Ken Zukin
on Jul 10, 2013 at 6:16:20 am

I think it's an eSATA connection...

Take-aways for me here are a couple:
Sounds like I can keep my Maxx Digital Raid5 array, and integrate it in a newer edit environment -- good to know.
Also sounds like Promise Pegasus is a worthy contender -- extra drive space is never a bad thing.
Thanks much to everyone who contributed...

Return to posts index

Thomas Frank
on May 23, 2015 at 2:03:58 pm

I know this is a old thread, but we had enough time to have some real life experience.

From what I can say they are not as reliable as many say. We had total of three go out completed and at least once every two months a drive would have to be replaced.

I would put my money down on G-Tech or Caldigit before I do again Pegasus.

Return to posts index

Darren Roark
on May 23, 2015 at 6:41:51 pm

To add to this, a friend of mine had his R4 lose everything as it could no longer see the partition. I brought my enclosure to him to see if that was the problem, it wasn't The support there was unhelpful and they had no explanation for what happened.

Then a month later my chassis died, because it didn't power on at all I couldn't get their software to see the R4 so they weren't going to RMA it. Then it was like playing a logic game with them "If I can't give you the error codes because the drive is not working, how can I give you the error codes?"

That went on for a few minutes.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]