FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCPX Huge Change on the way?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
eric Thompson
FCPX Huge Change on the way?
on Jul 2, 2013 at 4:37:49 pm

A buddy brought up a theory that seemed to make sense. With the new more robust MacPro coming out will FCPX go through another major change? From reading the forums its been a while since there was an update to the program, that being said do we get something more along the lines of 7 again?

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
Re: FCPX Huge Change on the way?
on Jul 2, 2013 at 5:14:01 pm

[eric Thompson] " that being said do we get something more along the lines of 7 again?"

No

Steve Connor

There's nothing we can't argue about on the FCPX COW Forum

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Jul 2, 2013 at 5:25:08 pm

Every time FCPX is updated it gets closer to 7 in terms of feature-set (and in most cases, surpasses).

But don't expect any of the core ideas to change (whether you like them or not).

Apple is never going to do FCP8.

Also, I'm a bit confused by all this talk about what the MacPro is going to do for FCPX. Yes, those that buy the machine will reap the benefits of the faster hardware, but Apple can't tweak the software exclusively for that machine, since MOST of it's user-base is not going to have one. Performance will improve, but I don't know why anyone would expect "MacPro" features.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Jul 2, 2013 at 6:02:40 pm

[Marcus Moore] "But don't expect any of the core ideas to change (whether you like them or not).

Apple is never going to do FCP8."

That would be correct. Plus, Adobe already kinda did that. ;-)

-------------------------------------------------------------

~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jul 2, 2013 at 9:40:38 pm

Sadly, it's still not there yet. Some features surpass of course just like X. But overall it still feels a bit unpolished. As it always has to me.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 2, 2013 at 6:28:27 pm

[Marcus Moore] "but I don't know why anyone would expect "MacPro" features."

There may be "Dual GPU Aware" features I might guess.
One example might be related to the ability to use multiple live scopes on both viewers. Single GPU systems might retain current functionality or some improvements but not matching the MacPro.
That would be the only thing I can think of offhand otherwise I can just see some speed increases based on GPU allocation for assisted rendering and encoding.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jul 2, 2013 at 9:46:02 pm

[Marcus Moore] "Also, I'm a bit confused by all this talk about what the MacPro is going to do for FCPX. Yes, those that buy the machine will reap the benefits of the faster hardware, but Apple can't tweak the software exclusively for that machine, since MOST of it's user-base is not going to have one. Performance will improve, but I don't know why anyone would expect "MacPro" features."

Because Apple said so?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 2, 2013 at 9:50:22 pm

I guess some will argue the difference between an improvement and a feature but I wouldn't be surprised if there were Dual GPU Aware features.

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Jul 2, 2013 at 10:29:23 pm

The key word there is "optimized". That points to exactly what I was saying- making sure the software can take advantage of the hardware. But that's a long way from MacPro 'specific' features.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jul 2, 2013 at 11:09:02 pm

Will the iMac support 4k broadcast monitoring?

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Jul 3, 2013 at 12:53:29 am

When it's updated to Haswell- possibly.

You can put a DecLink4K Extreme into an existing MacPro, can't you? And it looks like you can put it in an external PCIe Thunderbolt chassis.

On the broadcast monitoring side I think many machines will be able to run 4K if not now then when the Macs are refreshed with this year's chips. But who knows, if Apple DOES have plans for a Retina ACD, perhaps (like in 2004), only the MacPro will be able to run it. I'd wager against it, but I'm sure it will be the only one able to run 3 of them.

All I'm saying is that people looking for anything other than thru-put oriented features of FCPX to be exclusive to this machine are probably off base. That's like saying really intensive After Effects projects are exclusive to high end Machines. They'll be annoying as hell to work with, and they'll take a long time to render, but you can do them.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jul 3, 2013 at 3:52:34 pm

[Marcus Moore] "That's like saying really intensive After Effects projects are exclusive to high end Machines. They'll be annoying as hell to work with, and they'll take a long time to render, but you can do them."

So true. Ever try to work with AE Ray Tracing without the appropriate GPU? Not only does it not support it, but it shuts down multi processing. So now you're rendering 3D object with one processor. I tried it a few times, but had too many 100+ hour estimated renders. On the new iMac I get more like 10 minutes for the same render.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jul 3, 2013 at 4:09:06 pm

[Bret Williams] "Ever try to work with AE Ray Tracing without the appropriate GPU? Not only does it not support it, but it shuts down multi processing. So now you're rendering 3D object with one processor."

Ae's multiprocessing mode for 2D and classic 3D compositions launches multiple copies of the Ae renderer, up to one per CPU core, each requiring its own RAM and each working on a separate frame at the same time.

Ae's ray-tracer turns off multiprocessing, meaning it only works on a single frame at a time, but that doesn't mean it's letting system resources sit idle. The ray tracer is highly multithreaded and will use all available CPU cores. If you watch Activity Monitor, you should see very high CPU utilization.

Ray tracing is just very computationally expensive, not just in Ae, but in all 3D applications that use it.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jul 4, 2013 at 5:44:19 am

Well it sure sucks if you don't have a qualified CUDA card!

Return to posts index

Darren Roark
on Jul 3, 2013 at 1:40:51 am

It's true, Apple said so. It's funny that all the off the shelf PC graphics cards you can use in a current mac pro make such a major difference in FCPX already, but since they cost a third as much as an official Apple blessed card and give upwards of double the performance it's odd they took this long to update the pro.

It's not like they couldn't have put a couple thunderbolt ports on the old pro in 2011 to tide professional editors over.

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Jul 3, 2013 at 3:34:27 am

Thunderbolt has to be supported on the CPU for Apple to use it in it's hardware. The new Ivey Bridge E chips are the first TB enabled Xeon chips to do that.

It was the same thing with USB3- Apple integrated it into it's products as soon as it was embedded on the chip, which it was when the Ivey Bridge Macs were released last year (with all but it's Xeons).

Return to posts index

Darren Roark
on Jul 3, 2013 at 5:09:41 am

Ahh, that makes sense. I built a hack pro with two thunderbolt ports with an ivy bridge processor. I wasn't aware that the current gen xeon procs wouldn't work.

Return to posts index

alban egger
on Jul 2, 2013 at 6:38:49 pm

In the lines of 7? I hope not. But it will have major changes going forward....

Return to posts index

Leo Hans
on Jul 2, 2013 at 7:36:05 pm

Well,
In respect to FCP7 alike. Forget it.

I think that Apple may be waiting to release FCPX update among the new MacPro for some reasons but this is the principal one:

Launching the new MacPro + FCPX 10.1 (or 10.0.9) + a new Logic (with FCPX roundtrip) + Aperture update (it has not been overhaul in a while yet) Apple may have a press event focussed on professionals to say to the world "We have abandoned pro market, my ass" (Phil Shiller dixit).

I think It would make sense.

Leo Hans
Editor AVID - Final Cut Pro
http://www.leohans.com

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Jul 2, 2013 at 8:03:26 pm

I'd love to see Apple start realizing the potential of more targeted press events.

Apple tends to be stingy with Media events. They're philosophy is that if they get the press together too often the media impact falls. That's a fair point. Apple can't have any kind of media event without speculation building up to a point that the actual announcement can never satisfy.

But with Apple's ability to do keynotes streamed live to aTVs, iPads, and Macs- it would be great to see a "Pro" focused event with the MacPro and associated software being the ONLY focus. I think the only challenge for Apple is to make sure they can position it properly to that people know in no uncertain terms that shouldn't be expecting iPhones, iPads, or anything else. And beleive it or not I don't think that's THAT easy-

I remember reading a report from one joker who said Apple was going down the tubes because they didn't announce anything amazing at the event he attended- which would have been sad on it's own, but is especially inane when you realize that it was the annual shareholders meeting that he was talking about.

Ug!

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 2, 2013 at 9:55:32 pm

[Marcus Moore] "I'd love to see Apple start realizing the potential of more targeted press events."

If they targeted a Pro Press Event to appropriate industry press, they might actually get some good coverage from reporters who understand this stuff.

They may also find a very large professionally interested audience watching such event on AppleTV, iPads, etc.

If Apple really wants to take control of their marketing rather than relying on parroting of misinformation on social media, probably one of the better ways to control this is by creating a Pro targeted event.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]