FORUMS: list search recent posts

Red Giant Commits to FCP X

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Petty
Red Giant Commits to FCP X
on Jun 24, 2011 at 9:54:51 pm

Just saw this on Red Giant's Blog/Facebook...

With the release of Final Cut Pro X, there have been a lot of questions and concerns about the future of Final Cut Pro and the plug-ins that run inside it.

First, we’re pleased to announce that we’ve already conducted extensive testing, and we are very excited about the FCP X release. We’re confident that, as Final Cut Pro X evolves, it will fuel new growth in the market and as a result, allow us to share our tools with a much broader range of users who want to create beautiful work.

Red Giant’s industry leading set of color correction and grading tools, such as Magic Bullet, are well known for ease of use, powerful performance, extreme flexibility, and simple design. And they are perfectly suited for the current and next generation of Final Cut Pro users.

In terms of development, you’ll be seeing Magic Bullet products available on Final Cut Pro X very soon. In fact, with the SDK in hand, we’ve already begun the engineering effort for what will be free Final Cut Pro X updates for current users.

As FCP X continues to change and grow, you can count on this: Red Giant will be ready for FCP X when FCP X is ready for you.

Great news for those of us who love Magic Bullet Looks and Colorista

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
Re: Red Giant Commits to FCP X
on Jun 24, 2011 at 10:04:07 pm

I'd be very excited about FPC X's release if I were them.
They just found out that all the old FCP plugins have been rendered obsolete, and everyone using X will need to buy new ones!

Scott Sheriff
Director
http://www.sstdigitalmedia.com

I have a system, it has stuff in it, and stuff hooked to it. I have a camera, it can record stuff. I read the manuals, and know how to use this stuff and lots of other stuff too.
You should be suitably impressed...

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." ---Red Adair

Return to posts index

John Godwin
on Jun 24, 2011 at 10:10:13 pm

I don't know, free updates sound pretty reasonably priced to me.

Best,
John

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Jun 24, 2011 at 10:48:13 pm

[John Godwin] "I don't know, free updates sound pretty reasonably priced to me."

Did I miss where you will get free X plugins to replace your FCS versions?
I could see a case for doing free, or charging a small fee or charging full price. It's not due to anything they did, so why give it away for free? If they do, that is a lesson for apple in customer goodwill.

Scott Sheriff
Director

I have a system, it has stuff in it, and stuff hooked to it. I have a camera, it can record stuff. I read the manuals, and know how to use this stuff and lots of other stuff too.

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." ---Red Adair

Return to posts index

John Godwin
on Jun 24, 2011 at 11:11:28 pm

From the initial post:

"In terms of development, you’ll be seeing Magic Bullet products available on Final Cut Pro X very soon. In fact, with the SDK in hand, we’ve already begun the engineering effort for what will be free Final Cut Pro X updates for current users."

Noise Industries already released a free update to FX Factory. Everyone may not, but, as I said, free seems pretty reasonably priced.

Best,
John

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Jun 24, 2011 at 11:37:42 pm

[John Godwin] "
"In terms of development, you’ll be seeing Magic Bullet products available on Final Cut Pro X very soon. In fact, with the SDK in hand, we’ve already begun the engineering effort for what will be free Final Cut Pro X updates for current users."

Noise Industries already released a free update to FX Factory. Everyone may not, but, as I said, free seems pretty reasonably priced."

Thanks John for pointing that out, I totally missed that!

Scott Sheriff
Director

Return to posts index

John Godwin
on Jun 24, 2011 at 11:52:34 pm

And I'm probably pretty foolish, but with the comments from the various plug-in makers and 3rd party hardware makers I'm optimistic that a lot of the missing pieces in FCP X will be filled in fairly soon. I don't have any special information, that's just what I've gleaned from semi-obsessively mining the web for actual nuggets of information over the past few days.

I really like your Red Adair quote.

Best,
John

Return to posts index

Adam Claude Jones
on Jun 25, 2011 at 12:54:10 am

[John Godwin]
"And I'm probably pretty foolish, but with the comments from the various plug-in makers and 3rd party hardware makers I'm optimistic that a lot of the missing pieces in FCP X will be filled in fairly soon."

Yep and "FCP-X" will end up costing more than the whole Final Cut Suite for just the editing software because we must pay extra for all the stuff apple took out. (roll eyes)

Return to posts index

Stuart Smith
on Jun 25, 2011 at 2:33:50 am

Yep and "FCP-X" will end up costing more than the whole Final Cut Suite for just the editing software because we must pay extra for all the stuff apple took out. (roll eyes)

Again, not endorsing FCPX and I'm not a huge fan of Apple, but this is ridiculous. Billing an hour and a half of work pays for this software, it's $300. You're not paying for what Apple took out, you're paying for what they are offering. If you don't like what they're offering, you shouldn't buy it, we certainly aren't - right now.

Were you thinking this was a compositing application or an editing application?

FCS3 is still a viable, active and valid editing package, yes it is EOL, but it's going to be, realistically, 3 months to a year before a software or hardware upgrade breaks FCS3. Everyone, us included, have had months of speculation and a further 3-12 months from now to make plans to move to another editing app.

Start making plans, if you don't like buying plugins to accomplish something that the OEM didn't supply, I'd suggest Smoke, it offers almost everything you'd want. Seriously, it's fantastic, I used it for years.

However, if you think the price of plugins for FCP, CS5 etc are high, try buying one for a Linux System.

Like everyone should, we're waiting to see where this goes in the next 6-12 months, Avid and PP are very much on our radar right now. everyone in this industry should always be thinking at least that far in advance as it is, this should not be scaring anyone.

As far as upsetting people, thats another issue, and what appears to be a personal one on some fronts. EDL/XML/Capture/Edit to tape etc is another (huge in my opinion), but it's not part of this issue.

A $300 app and the price of plugins has nothing to do with what Apple has done.

Like everyone else, FCS3 give us a good 6 months before software or hardware upgrades break FCS3 - yes, 6-12 months is a guess, but its a very safe bet. And yes, eventually a software or hardware upgrade will break FCS3.

My suggestion, put a system aside and don't use it again, you may need it in 3 years to open a FCS3 project. If you can't afford to do that, at least clone your OS backup drive and plan on keeping your current system for this scenario when you buy your next system. This is, of course, worst case scenario, it's the equivalent of building a bomb shelter, it's not necessary, until you're the only person alive, but then what's the point? :)

Which 3rd party software bsupplier is going to be the first to do a, greater than, XML xfer between FCS3 to FCPX? They'll make a fortune if FCPX survives in the pro world. Just throwing that out there, hint.

Return to posts index

Stuart Smith
on Jun 24, 2011 at 10:09:37 pm

they, and every other plugin manufacturer, will do exactly what they did with CS5 and with any other app that moves to 64bit

it's the nature of this industry, things change and plugin manufacturers must adapt to new software/hardware and they can't be expected to do it free of charge

Return to posts index

John Godwin
on Jun 24, 2011 at 10:18:28 pm

From the initial post:

Noise Industries already released a free update. Everyone may not, but, as I said, free seems pretty reasonably prices.

Best,
John

Return to posts index

Stuart Smith
on Jun 24, 2011 at 10:33:27 pm

I know that, I was making a general statement caused by the undertone implications already being expressed. Read my 2nd post in this thread, people should just be glad 3rd parties are supporting this. I'm not new enough to this industry to get carried away with whats happening to FCP, which means I've also been around long enough to know when to appreciate what 3rd party suppliers do. No offence taken if you were taking me to task because of a misinterpretation from that post

Return to posts index

John Godwin
on Jun 25, 2011 at 12:02:47 am

Certainly no offense taken, or meant, either. There is a pattern now in this forum that whenever something good is said about FCP X someone usually immediately jumps in and trashes it. I think it's clear some people are upset. I wish, having made that evident, they would show a little patience and see what develops. Patience, as I once malapproped, is a virgin.

Best,
John

Return to posts index

Greg Burke
on Jun 24, 2011 at 10:11:22 pm

Well said Scott this helps THEM not us so much.

I wear many hats.
http://www.gregburkepost.com

Return to posts index

Mike Petty
on Jun 24, 2011 at 10:24:31 pm

I am looking at this as good for me.

Colorista is an excellent tool.I have used it since day one and am really comfortable with it.

I f I can continue to use it instead of what appears to be a goofy color correction interface in FCP X...cool. Free update...even cooler.

Man I though I was cynical...You guys kick my ass in that department.

Return to posts index

Ben Holmes
on Jun 24, 2011 at 10:28:05 pm

Do people bother to read these posts before attacking them? Free. No charge.

Sounds good to me - Looks is one of my favourite tools for music pieces.

Edit Out Ltd
----------------------------
FCP Editor/Trainer/System Consultant
EVS/VT Supervisor for live broadcast
RED camera transfer/post
Independent Director/Producer

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/community/communitydetails/?UserStoryId=87...

Return to posts index

Stuart Smith
on Jun 24, 2011 at 10:25:46 pm

ok, not wanting to start an argument, but how is Apple moving FCP to 64bit any different than any other manufacturer porting their product over to 64 bit.

The undertone in this thread is already implying that this is all Apple's fault and those undertones are being caused by the huge dislike of FCPX.

Im not stating my opinions of FCPX, I'm fortunate enough to work for a place that has the resources to survive if FCPX does fail

But RedGiant and every other manufacturer are going to treat this like any other application moving to 64 bit, as they should. This is all a business if people make a commitment to plugin software they should know that that software is going to have to change over time, and those changes are not always going to be free.

Plenty of plugins have updgrades that require an additional purchase prices, particular to name one of 1000's, and thats just for the next version, of course there's going to be a cost to the end user for plugin being ported to 64bit. Just be glad RedGiant are putting the effort into supporting a piece of software that all professionals may abandon within the next year.

If I took your comment out of context, I apologise in advance

Return to posts index

Brent Melton
on Jun 24, 2011 at 10:37:15 pm

I've been holding off on buying new plugins unless they work in PP or MC. I'm glad I did, I had a gut feeling that Apple was going to abandon it's pro apps.

I'd hate to be a plugin manufacture right now, wondering if their stuck with a stack of plugins that have been developed for a white elephant.

Return to posts index

David Cherniack
on Jun 25, 2011 at 11:29:29 am

According to Stu Maschwitz's blog http://prolost.com/ they just got the SDK and FCP-X this week:

"I’m downloading it now for the first time.

So is the rest of Red Giant Software.

In the past two months, Red Giant has cancelled two products and one appearance out of uncertainty regarding Final Cut Pro X’s support for the cool stuff we love to build for you guys to get your work done.

Anyone care for a drink?"

The statement from the Red Giant site would appear to contradict that but it may be the result of some arm twisting from Apple and "happy to help out" from the higher ups at Red Giant.

In any case the release doesn't mention Colorista, only Magic Bullet and anyone who uses Looks can tell you it's a different beast from a key frameable, integrated, plug-in. It's really just a hook to a separate app. Looking at the FCP-X interface I don't see room for key frameable plug-ins integrated with the NLE. Am I wrong?

Not that there's anything terribly wrong with the 'separate app' way of doing a plug-in. I've use Looks in my broadcast documentaries. But there are two shortcomings of that approach: the lack of keyframes, as already mentioned, and the lack of an ability to look at changes in situ on a broadcast class monitor. That's assuming that there are the hooks in FCP-X for the 3rd party IO developers to write drivers for direct play out via SDI - Or can thunderbolt eventually fulfil that role?

David
AllinOneFilms.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]