FORUMS: list search recent posts

L.A. Freelancers, Learning FCP X might be a good idea...

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Charlie Austin
L.A. Freelancers, Learning FCP X might be a good idea...
on Jul 1, 2013 at 12:19:45 am

http://www.productionhub.com/jobs/view.aspx?item=40754

"As this is a job looking to start quickly, we are not looking for Avid or FCP editors not already versed with FCPX. Discovery Agency LA is located in the Miracle Mile and we will be editing in-house. "

-------------------------------------------------------------

~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Chris Conlee
Re: L.A. Freelancers, Learning FCP X might be a good idea...
on Jul 1, 2013 at 12:32:36 am

Of course they'll be working inhouse, because nobody else is using it. /snark

I think if you're in Los Angeles you'd be far better served in the long run by learning Avid and learning it well.

Chris

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Jul 1, 2013 at 12:35:56 am

[Chris Conlee] "I think if you're in Los Angeles you'd be far better served in the long run by learning Avid and learning it well."

I think if you're freelancing, knowing all of 'em well would be your best bet. Not learning X because "nobody uses it" just lost some of folks at least one gig... ;-)

Return to posts index

Chris Conlee
on Jul 1, 2013 at 12:58:15 am

Fair enough. I'll put my snark away for a while.

Chris

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Jul 1, 2013 at 1:08:51 am

[Chris Conlee] "Fair enough. I'll put my snark away for a while."

:-) If you're staff, you use what you need to use. If you're freelancing, looking down your nose at an app that does have some traction is moronic. That holds true for all of 'em btw. Unless you like someone else getting your work...

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Jul 1, 2013 at 12:51:29 am

Wait till the fall. It's going to get crazy.

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Jul 1, 2013 at 1:10:15 am

[John Davidson] "Wait till the fall. It's going to get crazy."

< munching popcorn >

;-)

Return to posts index

Chris Conlee
on Jul 1, 2013 at 1:20:23 am

Okay, I'll bite. What's supposed to happen in the fall?

Chris

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jul 1, 2013 at 1:30:14 am

Nobody's going to tell you.

The world has always been divided into those who wait until the "conventional wisdom" is developed before they make a bet and start playing.

And, yes, sometimes those souls live safer and get less banged up.

But there are also those who aren't afraid to buck the "conventional wisdom" and who seem to be able to sniff out trends early enough to be in the game - with the necessary hard won experience - things begin to change.

The only one who can tell you which kind of player you're happy being is you.

The only thing I WILl say with some firm conviction is that if you're going to add FCP-X to your personal toolkit - you will most likely NOT be fully competent at operating it very quickly. It looks tantalizingly easy on the surface. But down deep - it's actually pretty darn deep.

Read the history right on this board.

Highly competent editors who dove in many months ago and who are comfortable today - but who had to literally force themselves to find the time to spend adapting to the new tool - over a process that took whole lot longer than many of us expected - no matter how many "in the seat" editing years we had racked up prior to X.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Chris Conlee
on Jul 1, 2013 at 1:45:01 am

Uh, huh. Which is why I use Media Composer, and very happily at that. Always works, no matter how complicated the project.

Return to posts index

Neil Goodman
on Jul 1, 2013 at 1:47:32 am

there goes bill again. Yea buddy, your the only who can figure it out! Its not that different. Its a matter of do editors WANT to edit differently. Not CAN they. Anyone can figure out the app, lots havent deemed it worthwhile yet. Your condescending tone toward those who havent jumped in fullforce is old and stale. The only time it seems you post is when theres a success story, ansd you just want to say i told you so. How old are you again?

That aside. I pick up at least one job a month on the freelance tip, as i have a staff job, but like to keep things interesting and earn a little extra dough. I personally think the freelance world is where X will get its shine. Especially with the trend these days going much much cheaper, its only natural X will come to play. Ive done one job on it already. Did i hate it? No.. did i love it, no. Was i able to finish, Yes. Did i get paid Yes. If i had achoice i woulda picked Avid top to bottom tho, but that just me. As things keep getting cheaper, and people want things faster, X will get its time, but i dont see it taking off in broadcast markets or film anytime soon. Not saying never, but def not soon.

Neil Goodman: Editor of New Media Production - The Esquire Network - NBC/Uni

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jul 1, 2013 at 2:30:29 am

[Neil Goodman] "Ive done one job on it already. Did i hate it? No.. did i love it, no. Was i able to finish, Yes. Did i get paid Yes. "

Well wow. I'm impressed. You've done ONE job on it. Congrats. I'm sure you went really deep and plumbed everything from a great keywording strategy in the Event Browser to sussing out how to share out of X directly into a 10 station mixed network buy without sticking your client with an unnecessary bill for DGFastchannel.

I've also done projects in X. About fifty to sixty to date. And oddly, I've also gotten paid for all of them. And just as oddly, I'm still learning more and more about how to operate the software efficiently after 18 months and all those gigs.

Strangly, I was recently offered a modest gig proctoring an FCP-X L1 3-day training and certification test taking place in a couple of weeks and in flipping through the course syllabus, I've seen more than a dozen areas where X has capabilities that I haven't even really investigated very closely yet because they simply aren't areas where I regularly do work.

Oh, and how old am I?

Old enough to know that there's always more to learn - and decades past the point where I was so arrogant as to think that I can be as good as I want to be at anything - until I put in the time and effort necessary to do my best to learn it really, really well.

My standard is simple. If I have to think about the software to operate it, I'm not good enough at it yet. I need to get to the point where the work I'm doing is the only thing I'm concentrating on - not the operation of the tool I'm using to do the work.

If you can get to that point after ONE project, more power to you. You're clearly a hugely better editor than I am.

Heck, maybe you're truly the Mozart of NLE editing and you've "grokked" the software at a level beyond all the rest of us after doing a single FCP-X project?

Wouldn't that be something?

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Jul 1, 2013 at 2:26:51 pm

[Bill Davis] " And just as oddly, I'm still learning more and more about how to operate the software efficiently after 18 months and all those gigs. "

Bill, I'm still learning new features on FCP7 after working with it for almost 10 years. What on earth makes you think your experience with X is unique?

Other than self absorption I mean.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jul 1, 2013 at 4:30:31 pm

[Herb Sevush] "Bill, I'm still learning new features on FCP7 after working with it for almost 10 years. What on earth makes you think your experience with X is unique?

Other than self absorption I mean.
"

Of course, Herb.

What's the possible use of openly touting the value of a tool offered by a leading company as their roadmap to the future of editing - when it's so much more useful to keep promoting one that's been formally discontinued and has no future ahead of it.

The truth is that I think that my position arguably is LESS self-absorbed than yours is. Legacy is comfortable for YOU - so you're willing to overlook that it's dead software walking. And apparently promote it as a better tools than X, even tho anyone who follows that path will be losing ground almost daily in not adapting to where the industry is moving.

You can defend a move to MC, or Premier or even Vegas and get no pushback from me.

But defending on-going Legacy dependence as a viable strategy - is a way less than a marginal call in my estimation.

But keep doing it if you must.

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Jul 1, 2013 at 4:57:59 pm

[Bill Davis] "What's the possible use of openly touting the value of a tool offered by a leading company as their roadmap to the future of editing - when it's so much more useful to keep promoting one that's been formally discontinued and has no future ahead of it."

I wasn't touting anything Bill. I merely said that anyone editing on any decent NLE will always be learning something new, and your continued instance that this is somehow unique to X betrays your lack of experience editing with other NLE's.

So often what you find amazing with X is something replicated in any number of other NLEs. This does not diminish X, it merely places it in context.

What I was trying to do was admonish you, but somehow you have so fused the two entities that any criticism of X becomes a criticism of you and any criticism of you becomes a criticism of X.

I assure you, this is not the case.

[Bill Davis] "Legacy is comfortable for YOU - so you're willing to overlook that it's dead software walking. And apparently promote it as a better tools than X, even tho anyone who follows that path will be losing ground almost daily in not adapting to where the industry is moving... But defending on-going Legacy dependence as a viable strategy - is a way less than a marginal call in my estimation. But keep doing it if you must."

At the moment I must, but I do not overlook the fact that FCP is dead software, which is why I will be using something else by next year. I was hoping to switch this year but there were too many unknowns for my comfort. Time, and Adobe, are now making the decision easier.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Jul 1, 2013 at 1:47:46 am

[Bill Davis] "Nobody's going to tell you.

The world has always been divided into those who wait until the "conventional wisdom" is developed before they make a bet and start playing."

Jeez Bill... ever heard the old saw “You catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar”?

I'll bite, and I have absolutely no idea what John's talking about. This may be the only FCP X gig ever posted but... It's for the Discovery Network. One of Johns clients is Discovery. They produce a lot of shows. John has said they started using X because an unnamed client of his was thinking about switching. ??? If not Discovery, look at Johns other clients.

Maybe it's nothing to do with John. Whatever it is, New show production starts in the fall. A new Mac Pro and (according to Apple's website) a new version of X along with it. Who knows. In any case, there's at least one freelance gig for an X editor in L.A. available right now. Woohoo! lol

Or... nothing will happen and everyone will cut on MC and Pr. ;-)

Return to posts index

Chris Conlee
on Jul 1, 2013 at 2:00:42 am

Okay, if we're getting all hot and bothered because one show, or even one network, is going FCP X, I guess that's each person's prerogative. Honestly, the thing I'm most excited about is Lightworks coming to Mac in September. I even bought my console on a 1 day 1/2 price sale.

I'm seriously going to cut my next feature with it, just to get my feet wet. Once you get past it's kinks, it's pretty slick. And I really LOVE the fact that the whole installer is only something like 80Mb. That's amazing to me.

Chris

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Jul 1, 2013 at 2:21:14 am

[Chris Conlee] "Okay, if we're getting all hot and bothered because one show, or even one network, is going FCP X, I guess that's each person's prerogative."

True, it's just one gig in a sea (or pond) of gigs. The reason I stuck this up is that I know a lot of folks who are freelancing these days... guess it's the new normal. And some of these folks, who are very good, really need work. And when I hear of freelance gigs I try to pass them along. But, because "nobody uses X" none of them have bothered to get up to speed with it.. They probably should, that's all... :-)

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Jul 1, 2013 at 2:00:46 am

You know, I leave you kids alone for 10 minutes so I can play xbox...

I just mean that with new mac pros and the hinted update to FCPX that pretty obviously is being tailored to it, fall should be a pretty interesting time for FCPX. Ironically, I had no idea that Discovery LA was doing this so it's pretty cool to see that development.

In terms of the network we work with that's switching, it's still on hold - perhaps they're waiting for this new mac pro. I think that most networks are holding back to see x 'get there', especially with shared storage. Probably all that really needs to happen is for X to start incorporating a variant of sparse disks and event manager x from within the program, make the project icons dark gray, and then call it something like 'film widget' and it'll take off like hot cakes.

Gotta run - it's double xp weekend on COD!

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Jul 1, 2013 at 2:14:19 am

[John Davidson] "Probably all that really needs to happen is for X to start incorporating a variant of sparse disks and event manager x from within the program, make the project icons dark gray, and then call it something like 'film widget' and it'll take off like hot cakes."

Dude! Didn't you sign the NDA?!? You're in big trouble...

:-)

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Jul 1, 2013 at 4:29:03 pm

I'm NDA free, baby.

-Sent from my iWatch.

Return to posts index

Paul Neumann
on Jul 1, 2013 at 2:19:09 am

I see two areas for this new mac pro for apple to focus on. Media post production and personal media delivery. By that I mean for your house. The muscle behind an apple 4k display in every room of your house could be a new mac pro.

Pure speculation on my part. Now taking that speculation to another level I can see the folks at apple getting all hyped about some new features inside FCPX that make YOU the DIRECTOR of your NETWORK.
Just guessin'.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jul 1, 2013 at 9:29:25 am

[John Davidson] " Ironically, I had no idea that Discovery LA was doing this so it's pretty cool to see that development."

Discovery AGENCY...not discovery CHANNEL.

It's been two years, and the only jobs I see FCX listed for are casting editors and YouTube channel jobs. Still seeing FCP 7 jobs listed (I predict we will for 2-3 more years) and Avid....with some people switching to Premiere. I haven't seen FCX broadcast/film jobs listed yet.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jul 1, 2013 at 3:04:39 am

[Charlie Austin] "Jeez Bill... ever heard the old saw “You catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar”? "

Ah, but am I trying to "catch" anyone?

There's a quiet little voice inside my head that wants to constantly provide grist for the haters. The more I can keep them riled up and angry about how mean and dismissive guys like me must be thusly proving that FCP-X is just a toy used by by bile-filled old grumps - the more time I have to advance my secret plan to use FCP-X to take over all of the modern editing universe ... (cue thunder SFX and maniacal laughter) "BWWWAAA ha ha ha!"

BTW, if you keep disagreing with me - the farther back I'll be forced to move you off the short list Chancellor of Magnetism in my plans for world editing domination.

(a bit too megalomaniacal ya think? Naw, That's an oxymoron!)

wanders away practicing... bwahhh ha ha ha ha. (nope, too wimpy) BWAhh Ha Ha Ha Ha! (better but needs more condescension) BWa...

; )

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Jul 1, 2013 at 3:24:37 am

[Bill Davis] "BTW, if you keep disagreing with me - the farther back I'll be forced to move you off the short list Chancellor of Magnetism in my plans for world editing domination. "

Too late! While you were pissing people off, I've been cleverly luring them in with my siren song...

"X is really good... you should not use anything else... forget all the other NLE's... you're getting sleeeeepyyyy"

Meanwhile, I have secretly stopped using X, and cut only in Pr and MC. And soon... all the work will be mine!!!!!

Or not...

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jul 1, 2013 at 12:15:23 pm

When you are talking about network level decisions, there are two concerns. The first is money - not just who is cheapest. Rather, where is the least downtime in lost work, retooling and retraining costs. Second is sharing. Can I put a group of editors on a single production and freely mix and match segments, episodes, etc.? So far no product has fit either of those criteria as well as FCP "legacy" or Media Composer.

Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 1, 2013 at 3:22:42 pm

I really like the language in this job posting.

It seems to be professional work, they seem to be looking for a professional editor, and they are ever so slightly telling professional editors to get over it.

I do believe that this is a Discovery Channel posting.

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Jul 1, 2013 at 4:47:22 pm

good. sweet. jesus.

find one job in LA after two years and the lot of you go bananas. Bill starts delivering multiple sermons, people are ripping their clothes off and speaking in tongues, "look to autumn, then the truth will be revealed..."

my good god. that was a funny thread. seriously. what happens if three jobs get advertised in six months?
people's brains will explode or something.

http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Ron-Paul_Its-Happeni...

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Jul 1, 2013 at 4:56:56 pm

[Aindreas Gallagher] "good. sweet. jesus."

What took you so long? I thought you might need a distraction from the CC diatribes. :-D

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Jul 1, 2013 at 5:34:08 pm

[Charlie Austin] "I thought you might need a distraction from the CC diatribes. :-D"

cheers. and yes actually.

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 1, 2013 at 6:26:33 pm

[Aindreas Gallagher] "cheers. and yes actually."

I really want to dig in to old posts from you about how FCPX isn't posted on job boards.

And then when it does get posted on a job board for a pretty decent sized operation, we are all bat sh*t crazy.

It's a beautiful time to be here.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Jul 1, 2013 at 5:20:17 pm

[Aindreas Gallagher] "good. sweet. jesus. find one job in LA after two years and the lot of you go bananas. Bill starts delivering multiple sermons, people are ripping their clothes off and speaking in tongues, "look to autumn, then the truth will be revealed..."

Dogs and cats living together! Mass hysteria!

Return to posts index

Ronny Courtens
on Jul 1, 2013 at 6:52:57 pm

I don't understand what this fuzz is about either.

Two months ago we added three bays to our post house in Paris. I called the Paris International Film&Television school because they have a Master's Editing program and I asked if they could point me to some ex-students looking for a job as full-time editor for broadcast post. I specified that we worked with FCPX. They told me they still trained their students using legacy FCP but most of them worked with FCPX at home or on independent projects and some were really proficient at it.

One week later I received 18 applications through the school and I was amazed at how well all candidates knew the program. Three of them are working full-time with us now.

Popular film and media schools in Belgium and Holland such as Media College Leiden, Broadcast College and others train their students on FCPX now. So I think there's nothing special about this anymore.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jul 1, 2013 at 8:21:47 pm

[Ronny Courtens] "Popular film and media schools in Belgium and Holland such as Media College Leiden, Broadcast College and others train their students on FCPX now. So I think there's nothing special about this anymore."

Well, you're obviously not taking into account the the US is the center of the known universe.

What happens in LA, NY and Atlanta (used to be Chicago) is all that matters. Didn't you get the memo?

; )

Return to posts index

Ronny Courtens
on Jul 1, 2013 at 9:36:34 pm

Bill Davis: Well, you're obviously not taking into account the the US is the center of the known universe.

I know that, Bill. But scientists say the universe is rotating, so everything outside of its center obviously moves faster than the centre itself ((-:

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jul 1, 2013 at 10:18:04 pm

[Ronny Courtens] "I know that, Bill. But scientists say the universe is rotating, so everything outside of its center obviously moves faster than the centre itself ((-:"

Oh great. Thow actual science into the discussion? Sheesh.

No wonder you "forigners" feel so smug.

(running to look up something about interplanetary gravitational force on Wikipedia so I can come back and sound smarter than I actually am...)

Return to posts index

Brett Sherman
on Jul 2, 2013 at 2:36:24 pm

[Bill Davis] "
What happens in LA, NY and Atlanta (used to be Chicago) is all that matters. Didn't you get the memo?"

Actually just LA matters...apparently.

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Jul 1, 2013 at 9:29:47 pm

Any freelance editor (myself included) should be learning FCPX, if for nothing else than to give you another marketable skill. If I were a staff editor, I would be learning FCPX, PP, etc., because in today's economy you never know when you will be out-sourced to the street.

Coming from FCP7, MC and (long ago) DS, and using the Ripple Training series for X, I am really starting to see how wickedly powerful this software is. In some ways, it makes going back to MC or FCP7 feel like you are editing with rocks and pointed sticks. And of course in others FCPX can infuriate you!

and so it goes....

Scott Witthaus
Senior Editor/Post Production Supervisor
1708 Inc./Editorial
Professor, VCU Brandcenter

Return to posts index

Darren Roark
on Jul 1, 2013 at 10:53:14 pm

For reality TV, it's a pretty major thing to not only make a checksum'd camera archive of a card while simultaneously ingesting and editing the footage. Showing that to a few producers who already made up their minds from hearsay started to rethink their assumptions.

I just worked on a job that had six cameras set up to do a "bullet time" move at any part of the interviews. They used KiPros from the SDI so they wouldn't have to transcode to prores. It was a week long shoot. Lots of money and time wasted when X could have instantly synced all the cameras with the matching timecode.

I do think that once producers realize the time saving benefits of X, the genie will be out of the bottle. This is good and bad since once producers assume you can do more with less, the rates are also adjusted accordingly.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jul 1, 2013 at 11:00:33 pm

[Darren Roark] "Lots of money and time wasted when X could have instantly synced all the cameras with the matching timecode."

Huh? That function is not unique to X. And neither is native/instant ingest of ProRes files.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Darren Roark
on Jul 1, 2013 at 11:57:24 pm

Huh? That function is not unique to X. And neither is native/instant ingest of ProRes files.

My mistake. What I meant is they had a tight post deadline and were recording to six prores recorders instead of ingesting the XDCAM cards as they work in FCP7.

I know the reigning NLEs can all sync via timecode. What I meant was the added labor and equipment expense in order to avoid transcoding wouldn't have been necessary in X or Premiere Pro. However in X, ingest and logging are done during the same step. IIf you have multiple fast card readers going, it can be a real time saver.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Jul 2, 2013 at 12:25:21 am

[Darren Roark] "However in X, ingest and logging are done during the same step"

You might have to explain this further, because if you are suggesting that ingesting clips and assigning keywords to them happen simultaneously, that is not correct.

Return to posts index

Darren Roark
on Jul 2, 2013 at 12:53:25 am

As soon as I importe files from a card, I'm able to assign keywords to them as they are copying to the drive in the background. Also, if I drag in files from cards they get assigned the folder name automatically if that is checked on the import settings.

It does happen at the same time in that in other systems the files have to be on a hard drive first.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Jul 2, 2013 at 12:36:32 pm

[Darren Roark] "As soon as I importe files from a card, I'm able to assign keywords to them as they are copying to the drive in the background. Also, if I drag in files from cards they get assigned the folder name automatically if that is checked on the import settings."

That's fair. Most of my file upkeep is done upfront in prep (Premiere doesn't copy media after all, which can be nice when you have a organization solution that keeps an entire project in a single folder that you can easily move around outside of the app). So the media already resides where it's going to be at in Premiere, and all I have to do is use Media Browser to import it, then I can start tagging clips.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jul 2, 2013 at 1:00:44 am

[Darren Roark] "What I meant is they had a tight post deadline and were recording to six prores recorders instead of ingesting the XDCAM cards as they work in FCP7. "

Now I'm confused. Recording to KiPros is a faster process than XDCAM. No transcode or rewrap required. Cable up the FW800 drive, copy the file and import. Or access directly if you can keep the drives connected.

[Darren Roark] "What I meant was the added labor and equipment expense in order to avoid transcoding wouldn't have been necessary in X or Premiere Pro."

FCP X, Premiere, FCP 7 and current Media Composer versions can all take in these ProRes files as native media. What system were you on?

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Darren Roark
on Jul 2, 2013 at 1:14:06 am

My point was they didn't need all that extra gear and labor if they were using X. Yes, it's much faster if you are cutting in 7 to go the KiPro route, in FCPX the benefits of this are minimal.

It's just a lot of wasted money for something that wouldn't be necessary.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jul 2, 2013 at 1:18:11 am

Give me ProRes originals over XDCam any day for finishing. All that extra cost and trouble does translate into better quality images for grading. Also if your grading is done with da Vinci on a Windows machine, XDCam codec has to be transcoded anyway.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jul 2, 2013 at 1:35:38 am

[Darren Roark] "My point was they didn't need all that extra gear and labor if they were using X."

No offense, but you aren't making any sense. The process and required equipment is virtually identical with current versions of FCP, Premiere or Media Composer. There is no extra gear or labor. Obviously if you are talking about Media Composer Adrenaline, that would be a different story, but it's also an age-old system.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Darren Roark
on Jul 2, 2013 at 1:56:09 am

None taken, I know my point has gotten lost in my convoluted mess of explaining myself.

Had they just imported the XDCAM cards straight into FCPX and not used the Ki Pros they would be no worse off and saved time and money. The budget was very very tight.

To Michael, Resolve can handle XDCAM natively if it's rewrapped to a quicktime wrapper. FCPX does this on ingest and spans the files. (As do many other apps and NLEs) The grading robustness between the SDI Ki Pro footage and the XDCAM cards aren't great enough to justify the cost. I'm amazed how rugged this version of XDCAM really is.

X is far from perfect, but if I don't have to use extra recorders and wait for cards to be copied to hard drives, that's a good thing right?

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jul 2, 2013 at 2:18:34 am

[Darren Roark] "but if I don't have to use extra recorders and wait for cards to be copied to hard drives, that's a good thing right?"

I get what you are saying now, but sorry, I guess I disagree. The expense is on the production side. As an editor I don't care (well, I do, but I don't). I would take the KiPro recordings over the XDCAM cards any day of the week. In any case, I simply don't see how X is a factor in any of this, since what you are describing puts the various NLEs are largely equal footing.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Darren Roark
on Jul 2, 2013 at 2:41:27 am

I usually have no sympathy for production on the post end since they always seem to run out of money before they get to me.

I've been working on a doc (250 hours of footage, 3500K+ clips) where the A cam is an FS700. Many many long interview takes and spanned clips. Ki Pro recordings would have been nice, but I didn't have any trouble with the XDCAM footage once they were spanned and rewrapped by X.

The thing FCPX can do that the others can't is work with media that is still being imported or copied from another source. You can log footage while it's still copying. Correct me if I'm wrong, but can any of the others do that? That to me anyway is a big time saver.

Return to posts index

Chris Conlee
on Jul 2, 2013 at 4:30:33 am

[Darren Roark] "The thing FCPX can do that the others can't is work with media that is still being imported or copied from another source. You can log footage while it's still copying. Correct me if I'm wrong, but can any of the others do that? That to me anyway is a big time save"

Yep. Media Composer 7 will transcode in the background while you continue to work in the foreground. As each clip finishes, it comes available in the bin. Flawless so far.

Chris

Return to posts index

Darren Roark
on Jul 2, 2013 at 4:35:41 am

This is my question: Can MC7 or any other NLE allow you to work with media as it's being copied from one device to another as though it's already on your final destination? Transcoding is one thing, but if I plug in a card, and I want it to go to my raid drive for cutting, will it treat the media as though it's already on the raid?

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jul 2, 2013 at 11:56:32 am

I believe MC7's new background function will allow this, but I haven't tested it yet.

Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jul 2, 2013 at 2:37:56 am

The Win version of Resolve doesn't take XDCam quicktimes as I just discovered on a recent job

Return to posts index

Darren Roark
on Jul 2, 2013 at 2:56:43 am

I wasn't aware, that is not good. Plus Apple's stranglehold on prores can be decoded not encoded in Win really is crappy.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]