FORUMS: list search recent posts

Regarding FCP X to resolve xml roundtrip issues

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Naveen Raj Raj
Regarding FCP X to resolve xml roundtrip issues
on Jun 21, 2013 at 5:51:35 pm

Hi,
I have footage from 5D III shot at 23.976 frame rate. I imported this into FCP X timeline of 24 fps by using the option convert to optimized media...
In the timeline the shots have been conformed to 24fps... I exported an XML after finishing the editing... Now i conform all the footage in the FCP X events-Original media folder to 24fps using cinema tools and put it into another folder named Source media... In Resolve i add this Source media folder to the media pool and try to import the xml... It gives me an error saying THE CLIP CANT BE LINKED TO THE MEDIA FILE "Actual filename" because the timecode extents do not match...

Can anyone help me regarding this issue as i need to give my footage to the color grading guys in a couple of days ????

Return to posts index

Nicholas Zimmerman
Re: Regarding FCP X to resolve xml roundtrip issues
on Jun 21, 2013 at 6:38:15 pm

I shoot on a 5D Mark III as well, and our workflows seem pretty similar. Nine times out of ten things seem to work best by just letting Resolve take care of things in the media pool for you, i.e. go straight to "Conform" and import the XML, allowing Resolve to take care of the relinking without manually adding your folders to the pool. Another thing is that you seem to be using 23.98 and 24 interchangeably, which could be part of the problem. One last thing, did you have the 5D record timecode?

I've had any number of issues with conforming, ranging from it not finding a single file, to bringing everything in but being a few frames off (which I blame on 23.98 vs. 24). My biggest recommendation, especially if you're handing off a drive to your colorist, is to duplicate the timeline and only used clips to a different drive (or disk image), remove anything that isn't absolutely necessary (transitions, plugins) and bake in the hard to translate stuff with handles (retiming and optical flow). At this point export and conform an XML, and you should have an easier time. It might seem like a lot of work, but it really takes under an hour for most things, and it will be worth it when your film comes back just perfect.

--------------------------
Avid MC, PPro CS6, FCP7 - wasting away on my SSD.
I just can't quit X.

Return to posts index

Naveen Raj Raj
on Jun 21, 2013 at 7:09:45 pm

Well to answer the question did i have the 5d record the timecode i am actually not sure as this is the first time i am editing a movie and i was handed the footage... Let me know how to verify that???

As for my question... What is the solution to my problem??? Do i have to rebuild my timeline from scratch or is there any workaround??? Is there any way to copy the starting and ending time codes of one video clip to another so that i could just copy it and get the work done???

Return to posts index

Nicholas Zimmerman
Re: garding FCP X to resolve xml roundtrip issues
on Jun 21, 2013 at 10:59:35 pm

Shouldn't rebuild, just duplicate and adjust. I prefer sending the ProRes to resolve so I actually do a find all in the XML and replace with Optimized Media. I'm typing this on my phone so I can go into specifics but I found a tutorial through google a while back. One thing that might work is a scene detection workflow. It's my last ditch but always works. Once you get it back into FCPX copy and pasted parameters and transitions to get back where you were.

I just can't quit X.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 22, 2013 at 12:16:59 am

[Naveen Raj Raj] "In the timeline the shots have been conformed to 24fps... I exported an XML after finishing the editing... Now i conform all the footage in the FCP X events-Original media folder to 24fps using cinema tools and put it into another folder named Source media... "

Why?

Return to posts index

Naveen Raj Raj
on Jun 22, 2013 at 4:33:17 am

I conform all the original footage to 24fps because i thought that we are suppose to give all the original media in 24fps. The dubbed audio and sound effects might go out of sync if its not in 24fps right????

Return to posts index

Nicholas Zimmerman
on Jun 22, 2013 at 4:58:49 am

It really depends what you shot it in and what they want delivered. You're better off sticking in 23.98 if that's what you shot (and it's easy to deliver in as well).

I just can't quit X.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]