FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCPX - Happy 2nd Birthday

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Dobson
FCPX - Happy 2nd Birthday
on Jun 21, 2013 at 8:29:20 am

FCPX was launched 2 years ago today.

Feels like longer to me and I would have huge difficulty operating FCP7 now. With FCPX 10.0.8 I now have an extremely stable and powerful editing tool that just crunches its way through full 1080P HD edits without blinking.

I just spent some time looking back at the early posts on this forum and was reminded of what a vitriolic reaction there was to the launch, hugely entertaining!

Any technical problems I've got now relate to 3rd party plugins not getting on with each other. But it's not been an easy ride and there were times when I really thought I'd made a bad decision to switch to FCPX, when the system went so slowly and crashed so frequently that I had tremendous difficulty getting jobs finished. But being a one NLE type of person I've stuck with it and now feel that I'm really reaping the benefits.

I'm not sure what market share FCPX holds now, but it is surely growing? The software has been proven to work at many levels now from mainstream broadcast production down to individuals cutting web content.

My concern at the moment is how radical the next update is going to be because I've sort of got used to way it's working now and whilst I know that you don't have to upgrade it would be a bit like not opening a wrapped christmas present from your favourite uncle.

Return to posts index

David Eaks
Re: FCPX - Happy 2nd Birthday
on Jun 21, 2013 at 9:23:06 am

Happy Birthday FCPX! (Just, nobody sing the song... Yet?)

Man, I remember the first paid job I decided to do in FCPX on 10.0.1 or 10.0.2, what a nightmare. It was already a fairly complicated edit due to unexpected situations during the shoot... Plus I don't know how to use my crazy new software!? Well, I stuck it out. Needless to say the client got a little anxious waiting for their final product and I went back to a nice comfy FCP 7 for a few months afterward.

Now I'm more comfortable in FCPX than I was in 7 and I can just fly through the fairly simple and monotonous tasks I do regularly. Anything more creative, sometimes with a little help from Motion, is better than anything I ever did with Legacy. And it's all just more enjoyable to do.

Mark, out of curiosity. On average, throughout all the times FCPX crashed or you force quit a sinning beach ball, how many "unsaved" edit operations do you think you lost per crash? In my experience, upon returning from a crash my last edit was usually completed and saved before crashing. I took to the "no saving" pretty quickly, to the point of just hitting control-option-command-eject right from the timeline, to shutdown at the end of a late night edit session. Everything is always right as I left it in the morning

Cheers! To the future, with a hopefully decent priced New Mac Pro and a killer FCPX update to go with it! (and maybe Motion X... With... 3D?)

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
CrumplePop "bet everything" birthday message
on Jun 21, 2013 at 10:23:20 am

Two years they said they were "betting everything" on FCPX. So they've posted a 2nd year birthday followup.
http://www.crumplepop.com/blog/?p=632

What I found interesting is the incredible amount of vitriol in the Blog Comments. At this point it's sadly laughable when people say it's not "Pro." Certainly some may have good cause not to like FCPX or even Apple but to call it not pro, is itself, a sign that person is truly amateur.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
Re: CrumplePop "bet everything" birthday message
on Jun 21, 2013 at 10:56:38 am

Today, just two short years after FCP X shipped, there is an entire plugin ecosystem around FCP X. This is to the enormous benefit of editors, and we are proud to have played a role in it. To my knowledge, it is unique among NLE platforms.

That seems to be stretching it. Lots of plugins for AVID/Premiere/Vegas/etc. as well. What IS unique is, obviously, publishing through Motion for plugins, but this "ecosystem" also includes a lot of stuff that is of dubious benefit, or things that already exist in NLEs, but need the Motion architecture workaround to get it in FCPX.

At the June 2013 WWDC keynote, Apple announced a new Mac Pro, and specifically called out support for video editors and FCP X. With that announcement, we can now officially conclude the “Is FCP X pro?” discussion.

I fail to see how having a computationally powerful desktop concludes that discussion. What features does the Mac Pro add to FCPX in and of itself? Answer: none.

Two years ago, I predicted that within a year, FCP X would be the platform used by most professional video editors. Is that true? It’s impossible to say, because “professional video editor” is a concept that is being redefined as I write this.

That's a "no" if I ever heard one.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 21, 2013 at 11:02:37 am

[Gary Huff] "I fail to see how having a computationally powerful desktop concludes that discussion. What features does the Mac Pro add to FCPX in and of itself? Answer: none."

You can't answer that and, given Apple's announcement that they'll be an upgrade for the new MacPro, I'd suspect there'll be features and enhancements that take advantage of the two GPUs.

I can only speculate what those are at this point... but you may not be open to that speculation.

For Apple to tie an upgrade to the new MacPro in their marketing means there's likely going to be a clear feature enhancement tie in.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Jun 21, 2013 at 7:35:01 pm

Then the discussion is clearly far from being concluded then, correct?

Return to posts index

David Eaks
on Jun 23, 2013 at 10:42:10 am

"...we can now officially conclude the “Is FCP X pro?” discussion."

[Gary Huff] I fail to see how having a computationally powerful desktop concludes that discussion..."

It doesn't need to. Although while watching the WWDC Keynote live, I'll admit some serious feelings of relief to simply see the words "Mac Pro" pop up onscreen.

Page 21, Apple White Paper September 2011 "FCP X for FCP 7 Editors".

Link- http://images.apple.com/finalcutpro/docs/Final_Cut_Pro_X_for_Final_Cut_Pro_...

Quote (bold added for emphasis)-

"Conclusion

Understanding the similarities and differences between Final Cut Pro 7 and Final Cut Pro X will allow you to work faster than ever with this new breakthrough application. A rebuilt 64-bit multicore architecture; rich metadata support; a collection of tools for automatic and manual organization; and increased control over editing, audio sweetening, motion graphics creation, color grading, and delivery offer significant improvements over Final Cut Pro 7. Final Cut Pro X is a powerful and flexible video editing application designed for pro editors, and there is much to learn and explore that will accelerate your workflows and allow you to focus on the important creative decisions of storytelling."

So, Apple designed Final Cut Pro X for professionals. We know for sure that there are professionals using it for professional work. You don't have to like or use FCPX, but your opinion does not make it "not pro".

[Gary Huff] "Then the discussion is clearly far from being concluded then, correct?"

Not correct. I suppose you could continue to discuss it if you'd like, but it is long since concluded.

"Two years ago, I predicted that within a year, FCP X would be the platform used by most professional video editors. Is that true? It’s impossible to say, because “professional video editor” is a concept that is being redefined as I write this."

[Gary Huff] "That's a "no" if I ever heard one."

Uhhh, yeah. I agree. That probably wasn't the most likely prediction.

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Jun 21, 2013 at 5:52:01 pm

[Craig Seeman] "Apple but to call it not pro, is itself, a sign that person is truly amateur"

While I appreciate symmetry in construction, its probably more likely a sign that they haven't been around it recently and/or feel burned by the change. Not everybody hugs the net like we do.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 21, 2013 at 8:20:23 pm

[Chris Harlan] "feel burned by the change"

Depending how long one has been in the business, nearly all NLEs might qualify. They all have given us that burning sensation.

[Chris Harlan] "Not everybody hugs the net like we do."

One should if you either make purchasing decisions (facility decision maker) or otherwise need to keep up and the business as it impacts one's job (freelancer). Those people most comfy with their jobs or the status quo of their facilities are the most likely to get burned again.

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Jun 21, 2013 at 9:41:34 pm

Oh, yeah. sure, sure.
But none of that is a sign
that anyone is an amateur.

Return to posts index

Mark Dobson
on Jun 21, 2013 at 12:05:00 pm

[David Eaks] "Mark, out of curiosity. On average, throughout all the times FCPX crashed or you force quit a sinning beach ball, how many "unsaved" edit operations do you think you lost per crash? In my experience, upon returning from a crash my last edit was usually completed and saved before crashing. I took to the "no saving" pretty quickly, to the point of just hitting control-option-command-eject right from the timeline, to shutdown at the end of a late night edit session. Everything is always right as I left it in the morning"

Strangely enough I don't think I've ever actually lost anything. And spinning balls seem to be a thing of the past - is this because the software is sorted or is because I splashed out and bought the new 27" iMac? I'll never know.

I have to admit that I still sometimes find myself hitting cmd S after an edit.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jun 21, 2013 at 1:02:08 pm

For me 10.0.3 was a rock on my 2011 iMac. But now, 10.0.8 on 2012 iMac is a crashing, buggy, nightmare. It's the experience people described with 10.0.1.

I still have the 2011 and will have to run a side by side comparison. Thinking of rebuilding the whole 2012 iMac system, only months after getting it.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Jun 21, 2013 at 3:10:46 pm

[Bret Williams] "But now, 10.0.8 on 2012 iMac is a crashing, buggy, nightmare. It's the experience people described with 10.0.1. "

That's a bummer. FWIW, I'm running 10.0.8 on a maxed out new 27" iMac and it runs fine. I've also got 7 Pr, MC and a slew of other crazy video and audio apps, it's by no means a "clean" system.... :knock wood: :-)

-------------------------------------------------------------

~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 21, 2013 at 3:13:36 pm

10.0.8 has not been my favorite release.

I hope this gets fixed before fall.

Return to posts index

Darren Roark
on Jun 22, 2013 at 10:08:33 pm

That's not a bad idea, I have to do a fresh wipe of my system every few months and it works wonders. I've been having good luck with 10.0.8.

[Bret Williams] "
I still have the 2011 and will have to run a side by side comparison. Thinking of rebuilding the whole 2012 iMac system, only months after getting it."

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 21, 2013 at 1:32:19 pm

[Mark Dobson] "I have to admit that I still sometimes find myself hitting cmd S after an edit."

And you get the warning "boop".

Then you hit cmd s many times in rapid succession with just as many boops, just to remind yourself that cms s is vacant.

At least that's what I do, and it's oddly satisfying.

Return to posts index

Mark Dobson
on Jun 21, 2013 at 2:03:01 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "And you get the warning "boop"."

Yes - its quite loud and I definitely feel told off.

[Bret Williams] "For me 10.0.3 was a rock on my 2011 iMac. But now, 10.0.8 on 2012 iMac is a crashing, buggy, nightmare. It's the experience people described with 10.0.1. "

How strange - exactly the opposite to my experience but illustrates the fact that FCPX problems seem to be very specific to individual Mac and set-ups. I spent a fair amount of money trying to get my 2008 MacPro running FCPX properly and neither the new 5770 graphics card or 22GBs of Ram seemed to have much positive affect. And others had no problems with the same set-up.

Return to posts index

Brett Sherman
on Jun 21, 2013 at 2:08:25 pm

I don't know how many hours I've saved just in the last 6 months I've been using X. Not having to redo edits because of FCP 7 crashes has saved me at least 15 hours in and of itself. Not to mention fewer dents in the wall when I chuck the mouse in anger.

It's also interesting to recall the negative reaction of some plug-in developers like CoreMelt to the original release of FCP X. I can say that Lock and Load never worked in FCP 7 reliably - period. It was so bad I stopped using it. Well, it works like a charm in FCP X.

Unfortunately there remains a lot of vitriol against X. For some, workflows complaints are legitimate. But, I think a lot is people just like to hold onto their anger. As far as market share, sure I would like to see it gain market share at the Pro level. But, I don't really care that much. There is robust development around X and it is not going away. I feel more secure in X's future than I would in Avid's.

Return to posts index

Nikolas Bäurle
on Jun 21, 2013 at 3:46:53 pm

Whenever I have to use FX Factory Stuff or Magic Bullet on FCP 7 I cringe, it is so much faster in X, even building a simple title in Legacy has become very annoying to me.

The most important thing to me is the rendering speed and the fact that I can edit without having to render, or if I'm using a slow system or older drive have to render less. Now, in Legacy you can render references, which you can't in X, and I've had arguments about this, and realized that sometimes the X haters I know forget that a reference is only fast if you don't have to render anything.

Currently I'm editing a lot of industry stuff on Legacy, and X I use at Promiflash, Avid at the DW. Whenever I'm on Legacy and we have tight schedules and the client want something from Magic Bullet or a Vignette first I need to warn them that we need more time to render if we add this or that. And certain clients need to see FX and titles rendered which takes time if after every change you render again. Before X came out this was never a problem since that's what was available, but now on X I feel so much freer. You want to preview the effect, click on the effect icon and hit play or scrub through it. Showing FX to clients and rendering them is so much faster.

There's still a lot of negativity about the magnetic timeline. I do sound recording on Avid for DW-TV, and I still do a lot of mixing and recording in Legacy. Using roles is much faster than tracks, and for the time I spend in X moving clips around to where I want them to be, I spend more time in Legacy during editing making sure not to overrite clips by accident. And by the way, having fixed tracks doesn't mean that everything is nicely organized, I often have to deal with very sloppy fixed track timelines when recording or mixing.

"Always look on the bright side of life" - Monty Python

Return to posts index

David Eaks
on Jun 23, 2013 at 10:28:20 am

[Mark Dobson] "Strangely enough I don't think I've ever actually lost anything"

That's awesome, I don't recall a crash ever causing me to lose any work either.

How many other applications has anyone ever said that about? "I don't think I've ever lost even one keystroke after a crash." Especially throughout the first couple years an initial .0 release? Any?

Return to posts index

Chris Conlee
on Jun 30, 2013 at 11:53:41 pm

I've been playing with Lightworks, under Bootcamp, and I have to say the no saving thing definitely catches on fast. I don't use FCP X, so I don't know if it's the same, but in Lightworks there isn't even a save button in the menu. It just saves every keystroke, period. No ifs, ands or buts about it.

That's something Avid could use.

Chris

Return to posts index

David Eaks
on Jul 1, 2013 at 2:03:01 am

Yeah, similar to FCPX. No save button in the menu and it logs every keystroke.

Return to posts index

Michael Garber
on Jun 21, 2013 at 5:33:18 pm

I followed a similar path as you, Mark. Tried it. Failed miserably because the program had so many issues when it launched. Insert the line from Monty Python and the Holy Grail, "Run away! Run away!"

But then... it got better. I dove in and held my breath, seeing how long I could go without using 7 or any helper apps. I think the difference between now and 2 years ago is that I know how to use the program. Seems silly to say that is the difference, but it was soooo different.

Now, when I approach an edit in FCP X, I think how I'd organize and cut in a way that works best in the app. I don't spend nearly as much time trying to figure out "how would this work in FCP X vs other NLEs?" Or "but, Mom, I don't WANNA log all that footage first!" ;)

One of my goals, when I decided to learn the app, was that I wanted to know all the pitfalls. I wanted to break it more than I wanted to be successful with it. That way, when I was working with a client, I wouldn't have to worry as much not knowing what might bring our edit session to a screeching halt. That's pretty much how I learned 7 and one of the things that kept me working as an FCP 7 editor. Same can be said of successful Premiere or Avid editors.

All said, I still have crashes. Still request new features. Still want to see the program improve. Still wary about cutting certain types of projects on it. I think it's wise to be wary of something when it's your bread and butter. Gotta always do the research, first.

But yes, it's come quite a long way in 2 years. Happy to say that I'm using it and now liking it very much.

Michael Garber
5th Wall - a post production company
Blog: GARBERSHOP
My Moviola Webinar on Cutting News in FCP X

Return to posts index

Paul Neumann
on Jun 22, 2013 at 1:00:19 am

Weirdest thing ever to happen to me with X was editing a 1080/29.97 project and upon opening it the next day it was 720/25. Swear. No way I did it myself as I shot all the footage myself just that morning and I am definitely a "set project based on first clip" kind of guy. None of the footage was scaled. That's what tipped me off. Why is this all zoomed in? Weird indeed. Never happened again. This was shortly after its release but I was using a Spring 2011 Macbook Pro 15" so I certainly had the most modern hardware for the time.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 22, 2013 at 1:26:08 am

[Paul Neumann] "Weirdest thing ever to happen to me with X was editing a 1080/29.97 project and upon opening it the next day it was 720/25. Swear."

Yeah, that was a weird bug for a while. I remember it having to do with "open in timeline" or something.

Return to posts index

Michael Garber
on Jun 22, 2013 at 1:28:23 am

I'm hearing Barbra Streisand singing "Memories" in my head right now. Who's going to cut that clip reel?

Michael Garber
5th Wall - a post production company
Blog: GARBERSHOP
My Moviola Webinar on Cutting News in FCP X

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]