FORUMS: list search recent posts

For the MP Tube rackmount skeptics...

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Charlie Austin
For the MP Tube rackmount skeptics...
on Jun 18, 2013 at 5:05:33 pm

Booyah!

http://www.macstadium.com/blog/new-mac-pro-hosting-and-colocation-will-be-h...

"270 Mac Pro servers per POD in only 12 square feet of Datacenter floor space."

Oh, there's a;so this tidbit...

Next generation Xeon E5 CPU’s in single or dual configuration with up to 12 physical cores.

-------------------------------------------------------------

~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Chris Conlee
Re: For the MP Tube rackmount skeptics...
on Jun 18, 2013 at 5:27:44 pm

I'm starting to become a believer. Not related to rack-mounting, but interesting nonetheless...

http://www.redsharknews.com/post/item/811-the-foundry-tests-ports-software-...

Chris

Return to posts index

Dustin Parsons
on Jun 18, 2013 at 5:42:57 pm

It was only a matter of time. Anyone who though these couldn't be rack mounted because of their shape wasn't thinking very hard.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jun 18, 2013 at 5:53:03 pm

[Dustin Parsons] "It was only a matter of time. Anyone who though these couldn't be rack mounted because of their shape wasn't thinking very hard."

I don't think anyone thinks they CAN'T be rackmounted.

They just clearly weren't designed with rackmounting in mind.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

John Heagy
on Jun 18, 2013 at 6:11:19 pm

[Dustin Parsons] "Anyone who though these couldn't be rack mounted because of their shape wasn't thinking very hard."

Nobody said rack mounting theses would be impossible, only difficult. One could rack mount a bowl of Jello if need be.

Data centers will not invest in a custom built mounting/cooling system that only supports a specific model from one manufacturer. Unless of course you specialize in offering dedicated Mac servers like MacStadium.

The vast majority of data centers run multiple virtual machines on a single CPU via VMWare, and would have little need for dual GPUs that only generate heat.

Now a render/encode farm would benefit but they are a drop in the bucket...

John

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jun 18, 2013 at 6:13:50 pm

[John Heagy] "Now a render/encode farm would benefit but they are a drop in the bucket..."

But blades would be denser still, and don't require custom tooling for data center installation.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

John Heagy
on Jun 18, 2013 at 6:28:24 pm

[Walter Soyka] "But blades would be denser still"

True, but blades aren't know for their GPU power which a render/encode farm could take advantage of.

John

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jun 18, 2013 at 8:08:40 pm

[John Heagy] "True, but blades aren't know for their GPU power which a render/encode farm could take advantage of."

GPU technology is still pretty new here. Many renderers are still largely CPU based.

I don't have any personal experience with this, but I'd guess GPU-based farms are still denser in purpose-built racked systems. 10" x 7" x 7" is a lot of space for just two GPUs.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Dennis Radeke
on Jun 20, 2013 at 7:27:28 pm

[John Heagy] "True, but blades aren't know for their GPU power which a render/encode farm could take advantage of."

I've certainly seen and used single and dual rack space blades with Quadro or Tesla cards in them, so they're definitely out there.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 18, 2013 at 5:47:23 pm

That looks like the variation on my "wine rack" idea.

I do hope they do a real world physical test with the Tubes to ensure there are new heat related issues before coming to market.

http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/335/55540

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jun 18, 2013 at 5:49:29 pm

[Charlie Austin] "Next generation Xeon E5 CPU’s in single or dual configuration with up to 12 physical cores."

I don't believe them. I think they're incorrectly assuming that the 12-core configuration comes from two 6-cores CPUs.

Here's why I think they're single CPU [link]:

The Mac Pro minisite refers specifically to "processor" and the picture shows room only for a single CPU.

Starting with Nehalem, Xeons have the memory controller on the CPU, and new Xeons use a quad-channel memory interface. There are only four memory slots shown, suggesting a single quad-channel interface and thus a single CPU.

The site also refers to "up to 12 cores of processing power." The next generation E5 Xeons will offer 12 cores on a single CPU. If they were using current Xeons and had a dual-CPU configuration, I'd expect them to say "up to 16 cores." If they were using next-gen Xeons with a dual-processor configuration, I'd expect "up to 24 cores."

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Jun 18, 2013 at 6:07:01 pm

An obvious rack configuration as long as you don't have to connect something to any one of them...

Michael

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Jun 18, 2013 at 6:11:45 pm

[Michael Phillips] "An obvious rack configuration as long as you don't have to connect something to any one of them..."

I'm sure they've probably considered that in the "pod" design....

-------------------------------------------------------------

~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

John Chay
on Jun 18, 2013 at 8:08:54 pm

That's my concern. We need easy access to the cable ports. Since the ports are on the side of the body, the only way to mount these things is by standing them up. If they're laying down and once you start stacking, you'll have no access to the computers that are in the center of the rack.

Return to posts index

Ricardo Marty
on Jun 18, 2013 at 10:26:04 pm

Somebody will design a patchboard and will work it out.

Ricardo

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Jun 18, 2013 at 9:57:06 pm

but almost who cares? - that thing might as well be geordi laforge's computer?

I kind of find that I somewhat deeply love apple for having created that thing. I mean look at it.
the specs are bananas and you can near shove it into a shoulder bag?

immense little monster.

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 18, 2013 at 10:05:29 pm

[Aindreas Gallagher] "you can near shove it into a shoulder bag"

For me (and I suspect many) that may be more important than rack mount. Previously one might be limited to a laptop on the road when one really would prefer something more powerful. Granted one has to find a way to slog a monitor but for some jobs, the idea of walking in with Xeon and two GPUs is pretty major.

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Jun 18, 2013 at 11:27:09 pm

you would have to think there are likely a large number of scenarios where a lunatic mac pro that appears out of a 2014 crumplr bag ready to drive 4K off multiple screens (how big are those screens? are they measured in feet? stadium screening baby.) - would be amenable.

depending on the scenario - the client provisioning a cheap monitor is a doddle right?
And a coffee-pot sized 4K driver xeon workstation, with your assets, appears out of the shoulder bag to plug in to it?

come on - what?

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Mark Dobson
on Jun 19, 2013 at 5:26:27 am

[Charlie Austin] ""270 Mac Pro servers per POD in only 12 square feet of Datacenter floor space.""

So how do you access the I/O ports on this wine rack collection of MacPro'c ? How are they powered and is this not just a bit of joke? Why keep the machines in their covers.

Pressurised Pod environment?

And can I have one please.

Return to posts index

Dan Stewart
on Jun 19, 2013 at 1:29:37 pm

I guess they're daisy chained/routed with Ethernet or maybe they connect to 6 other nodes via TB? Would that be an advantage under any conditions? Maybe Cray could make us an interconnect..

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jun 19, 2013 at 2:38:48 pm

[Dan Stewart] "I guess they're daisy chained/routed with Ethernet or maybe they connect to 6 other nodes via TB? Would that be an advantage under any conditions?"

The article says gigabit Ethernet.

Craig will be delighted to tell you about IP over Thunderbolt. It'll surely be fast, but only Apple has it at the moment.

It might be a good solution for very small ad hoc clusters, but it won't fly for larger installations unless someone develops a managed Thunderbolt switch. That looks unlikely since switching ASICs are expensive [link], InfiniBand already has good penetration in this space, and Ethernet has economies of scale.

[Dan Stewart] "Maybe Cray could make us an interconnect.."

As a Thunderbolt peripheral, with a cool-looking, horse-shoe metal case and a wall wart power adapter? :)

Cray sold their interconnect business to Intel last year.

The stack of Macs in the article isn't being built as a cluster. They're individual dedicated servers for hosting or for colocation. I think there's relatively little value in a Mac cluster at this point -- there's no compelling software to run and you can design denser systems with other hardware.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Bernard Newnham
on Jun 19, 2013 at 4:57:05 pm

I was reading PCPro magazine the other day. An article about networked server farms was so far away from your average computer chat that I had no idea what the man was saying. It's a whole different world, and a long way down its own - mostly Linux and virtual machines - path. I can't see them popping back to an odd shaped machine unless there were very very powerful reasons.

Bernie

Return to posts index

Dan Stewart
on Jun 19, 2013 at 8:06:45 pm

[Walter Soyka] "As a Thunderbolt peripheral, with a cool-looking, horse-shoe metal case and a wall wart power adapter? :)"

Yeah! I was thinking:

optical tb ports might be overkill at that distance - but they'd stack without any other support :)

Return to posts index

Dan Stewart
on Jun 19, 2013 at 8:34:35 pm

Underfloor heating

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on Jun 20, 2013 at 12:42:23 am

I could also use it to heat my tortillas at lunch time, or open a digital pizza shop.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]