FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCPx Collaboration : CC Premiere Pro + Anywhere impressive? - Apple?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Richard Jacana
FCPx Collaboration : CC Premiere Pro + Anywhere impressive? - Apple?
on Jun 18, 2013 at 3:55:20 pm

Looking at the launch of CC and Adobe Anywhere, looks mighty impressive - http://www.adobe.com/products/adobeanywhere.html. But looks like it's just for the big guys right - CNN / BBC ...? Wondering where Apple is on the collaboration thing and how did folks collaborate in the past with FCP7?

For us little guys I'm sure we never going to need to deploy our own mercury engine streaming server etc but seems like some type of collaboration would be nice compared to the convoluted method that we have now to share a project, almost seems like we're stuck in the dark ages and perhaps this is a wakeup call for Apple to remove *^*^*^ from bum and get busy! (Sure they are but in their time right - Mac Pro 4 years ....)

I guess you have the whole proxy thing to figure out but Adobe brags that with their Mercury Engine Server they've solved the issue?

Return to posts index

John Heagy
Re: FCPx Collaboration : CC Premiere Pro + Anywhere impressive? - Apple?
on Jun 18, 2013 at 4:13:57 pm

I hope Apple realizes collaborative workflow is what's keeping "The big guys" from using FCPX. They seem to think the current copying work around is sufficient.

Comparing a FCP7/Premiere workflow vs FCPX:

A single project file linked to shared storage vs a folder of project files linked to thousands of aliases contained inside multiple event folders and then linked to shared storage. It's far more complexity with no real benefit in a shared environment. Apple tried to integrate a bit of the walled garden Avid approach but with none of it's advantages.

John

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Jun 18, 2013 at 4:31:02 pm

i know someone at a very big place that evaluated X for a bit - I've said this before, but one of the serious sticking points became that amount of file crud that X generated - they just weren't willing to deal with it. they went PPro with anywhere. they have sites on multiple continents. they really like the look of anywhere.

but in short - as it stands - anywhere is firmly for big iron.

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 18, 2013 at 4:37:01 pm

[John Heagy] "I hope Apple realizes collaborative workflow is what's keeping "The big guys" from using FCPX. They seem to think the current copying work around is sufficient. "

Just a wild guess but my own hunch is this should at least start to be addressed this year. There's been no major feature updates this year. I'm sure they have been hit with collaborative workflow feature requests.

As to anything like Adobe Anywhere my own guess is that would further down the road at best. Consider that Apple hasn't even been able to nail their "consumer" cloud collaborative issues. Even the current incarnation, iCloud, is weak in many areas.

One might argue that given FCPX's current stage of growth and user, something like Adobe Anywhere is probably much lower ranked in user interest compared to the more badly needed local facility collaberative workflow.

Even FCP Legacy had iChat Theater for remote screening and nothing like that has been implemented in FCPX.

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on Jun 18, 2013 at 5:37:27 pm

[Craig Seeman] "Even FCP Legacy had iChat Theater for remote screening and nothing like that has been implemented in FCPX."

iChat Theater was one of my favorite features of Legacy and something I still miss today.

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl

Return to posts index

Darren Roark
on Jun 18, 2013 at 6:04:49 pm

I think why Apple didn't put that feature in is because Skype works so much better for that. Mostly because IT departments have been forced to allow it behind their firewalls.

I tried to use iChat Theater many times. When it worked, the client thought it was the best thing ever. When it didn't (the IT dept usually had everything on full lockdown) it was a mistake I ever told them about it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]