FORUMS: list search recent posts

Will FCPX editors not buying the new MacPro be very disadvantaged?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Dobson
Will FCPX editors not buying the new MacPro be very disadvantaged?
on Jun 16, 2013 at 8:02:22 am

A new version of Final Cut Pro X is to to be launched later this year to tie in, or as Apple puts it be 'optimised', with the new Mac Pro. I'm just wondering if those not buying the new machine will be very disadvantaged?

Dependant on the cost I've already decided to buy the new machine but will those who remain on their existing systems start to feel like 2nd class citizens.

I'm pretty happy with the way that FCPX is working for me right now and hope that the new version enhances but not changes what we have already got and is not as radical an update as the MacPro. But based on what is happening in IOS7 and Mavericks I wouldn't be at all surprised to see a new user interface with an enhanced appearance.

For me what I'm after is greater control of keyboard shortcuts, round tripping to Motion and Logic, the splitting up of the Audio and Visual Effects tabs and the ability to colour code items in the Event Browser.

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
Re: Will FCPX editors not buying the new MacPro be very disadvantaged?
on Jun 16, 2013 at 9:00:38 am

Well, you'll find it likely renders in the background better... might actually do it simultaneously. But from the point of view of what it will support in real time, it's likely going to be a beast with the next version of FCP. So there will be those speed disadvantages. However the next gen version of FCP will run just as well as it does now on your current machines I'd wager. That's been the history of FCP.

Export to file speeds should be amazing. It's made for the next generation of video. Will you need to buy one right away? Likely not. A very busy editor will benefit more than one that isn't as busy... If you're going to edit 4k, it's a no brainer I'd think.

There will be a lag time for a while too. People who have invested in expensive video cards will likely want to use them yet for a while. Manufacturers will need to support TB2, and that takes a lot of time as well.

But the immediate "disadvantage" to you not buying one will primarily be speed, and less RT playback of un-rendered material.

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: http://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann

Current DVD:
http://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX - Cinema Displays I have a 22" that I paid 4k for still working. G4 with Kona SD card, and SCSI card.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 16, 2013 at 1:24:20 pm

In addition to the speed, the only feature that may behave differently might be the scopes. I suspect one will be able to run multiple real time scopes on both viewers. All speculation of course.

Return to posts index

Rick Lang
on Jun 16, 2013 at 5:42:26 pm

Is the support within FCP X for three monitors new? Or just that the three monitors could be 4K monitors?

Rick Lang

iMac 27” 2.8GHz i7 16GB

Return to posts index

Jordan Mena
on Jun 16, 2013 at 9:16:24 pm

I'm currently running a 3 monitor setup with FCPX. So, it will be 4k-3 Up. I bet the new 4k apple displays are going to be pretty expensive as well.

Jordan Mena | Editor | Colorist | Producer
Los Angeles, CA
jordanmena.com

Return to posts index

Rick Lang
on Jun 16, 2013 at 11:09:41 pm

May be expensive but may finally include 10bit per channel colour and be calibrated. My iMac monitor deserves to be retired.

Rick Lang

iMac 27” 2.8GHz i7 16GB

Return to posts index

Chris Kenny
on Jun 17, 2013 at 3:46:52 pm

[Jordan Mena] "I bet the new 4k apple displays are going to be pretty expensive as well."

There aren't many panel options on the market Apple could chose from at the moment. One of them is used in Asus's 31.5" 4K display which is, appropriately enough, $4K.

Apple might want something smaller, though. The problem is, 4K on a 31.5" panel isn't going to quite qualify as 'retina'. If Apple wants to run a 27+ inch panel in 'HIDPI' mode and still provide the same virtual real estate provided by the current 27" display, it'll need to be 5K. Maybe they'll chose to do something like a 4K 23" display instead.

--
Digital Workflow/Colorist, Nice Dissolve.

You should follow me on Twitter here. Or read our blog.

Return to posts index

Nicholas Zimmerman
on Jun 17, 2013 at 8:01:44 am

I'm running 3 as well, two Cinema 23s and a Samsung over my Intensity.

--------------------------
Avid MC, PPro CS6, FCP7 - wasting away on my SSD.
I just can't quit X.
--------------------------

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]