FORUMS: list search recent posts

Nobody Panic

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
michael Ruiz
Nobody Panic
on Apr 17, 2011 at 8:08:24 am

After viewing the FCP X reveal online it made no sense what so ever. Here at TPS we started planning our migration back to Avid. But upon closer inspection to the editing portion of the premier video, if you replace the mouse with a finger it all starts to make sense. This is no doubt Apples introduction to revolutionizing the craft we know as editing. Just as when we stored away our old splicer in the closet, soon we will no longer need a mouse, maybe just a keyboard and our fingers. Here at TPS we've already started re-designing our workstations for the future. It may take some time with lots of kinks to work out. But a change like this could add speed and flexibility to the creative process. Because at the end of the day, as editors, isn't it about the stories we tell and how flexible we could experiment and sift through our creative process?

Michael Ruiz
thepoststudio.com

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
Re: Nobody Panic
on Apr 17, 2011 at 9:41:19 am

yeeaahhhh, thats the thing - lets start editing with a two finger wipe, on a ten inch ipad, man I can see walter murch just jumping on that one... as long as apple pays him like, ten million to do so, and buys him a really nice AGA stove..

Sorry - I jest, but seriously - everyone is freaking out enough already - no need to introduce "we're going to start using our fingers" stuff... ;)

http://www.ogallchoir.net
promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Steve Brame
on Apr 17, 2011 at 11:23:30 pm

Strangely enough, back when Avid was 'keyboard centric', and Premiere and FCP introduced a more 'mouse-centric' form of editing, it was the greatest thing since sliced bread. And now this...

Are we watching the newest release of 'Back to the Future'?

Steve Brame
creative illusions Productions

Return to posts index

Daniel Frome
on Apr 18, 2011 at 2:30:20 am

We've started a migration back to AVID too (well...our studio was never AVID based in the first place actually). The problem is not the "new" way of editing in FCP X. The problem is that we were hoping that FCP would introduce a few items that AVID already had...and instead we saw no new features to compete with AVID, just a better way of doing the stuff FCP already does.

Return to posts index

Ben Hendriks
on Apr 18, 2011 at 5:48:47 am

Hi Daniƫl,

How do you know that?
Do you have a list of all the features of X?

Best Ben

Return to posts index

Daniel Frome
on Apr 18, 2011 at 11:29:21 am

Oh, we definitely don't know for sure. Only a combination of a factors:
- We need some of these features NOW - waiting until June would be annoying
- The $995 special from AVID and the FCP X $299 price make it affordable to own both if FCP X ends up having said features

Win/Win situation in my opinion.

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Apr 18, 2011 at 12:13:00 pm

Seriously, if you want those feature NOW - well, most of them - go get yourself iMovie.

I never thought I'd look at it until last week when it became obvious that FCPX was essentially iMovie's new big brother.

Having started to get used to iMovie, I've found there is so much FCPX stuff already in there that is just brilliant, that I'm seriously thinking of using it for my next (not-too-demanding) "pro" project (the only downside being the lack of OMF audio export - yes, it's got XML export but most of your audio events don't get carried through).

Do check out the keyboard shortcuts, which make the whole experience much more precise and will change your view of the software.

Check out Ken Stone's amazingly in-depth review of iMovie for a really good introduction/manual to get you started:

http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/imovie_09_stone.html

Just to be clear about this (because I can see this comment getting shot down in flames), discovering iMovie has got me seriously enthused about FCPX. I am absolutely not belittling FCPX in making the comparison.

Plus unless I'm completely deluded, I'm getting to learn how it will essentially work and that has to be a good thing.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Apr 18, 2011 at 3:12:27 pm

I think a haptic interface, using a large touch pad, could do things that a mouse or keystrokes alone would be less efficient at. For sure, playing with audio levels, and being able to physically drag corners to adjust transitions and adjust mattes or change proportions in composites, could be quite effective tools. I don't mean something like the effects in "Minority Report": I'm not interested in doing 8 hours of tai-chi to edit every day - but if I could use my Wacom pad like a touch pad, I can imagine some work techniques that would benefit. Like color correction and live audio mixing.

Return to posts index

Chris Walsh
on Apr 19, 2011 at 5:57:16 pm

I reactivated an old Avid dongle a year ago, mainly for freelance flexibility, and the great price they offered. It was worth it just for the production suite - especially Squeeze, which has become my preferred compressor (since it can do wmv and flvs and the all the formats still in use back on planet earth).

For a recent flash output delivery, I dipped back into Premiere CS5, and was pleasantly surprised - not the slow, buggy nightmare I remember.

FC is still my primary software, but it's great to have options.

Chris Walsh

http://www.musicfog.com
Silver Spring, MD
Final Cut & AVID MC5
Former Windows User and edit* lover

Return to posts index

Robb Albrecht
on Apr 28, 2011 at 5:59:27 pm

Hi Michael,

After watching the sneak peak videos I can really see how a touch control could work but as always I'm skeptical. ;)
Will Apple actually do it? Possibly.. Adobe already has a cool iPad/Photoshop combo working.

Robb

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]