FORUMS: list search recent posts

Randy Ubillos should Resign

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
J Hussar
Randy Ubillos should Resign
on Jun 24, 2011 at 7:40:35 pm

That's my opinion. And the more I hear about the arrogance of this guy, the more I dislike him. He's the force behind this, he thinks he is going to make the whole industry revolve around his bloated ego. Forget trying to really understand how things work - he doesn't care - he is going to tell us how they should.

He reminds me of Kai Krause who made some of the worst software interfaces ever and destroyed a series of software companies in the process. On Kai's part it was sheer arrogance.

At first, before Randy's ego grew so impossibly big, he did try to make things that would work and was successful at that. And for that he should be applauded. But he is no longer that guy.

Worst of all, Randy Ubillos has basically wiped out some incredible good will in the pro community - people are fired for less all the time. I hope Steve sees this and gets him out of the loop and replaces him with someone who actually understands professional post production and it's workflows. I'm sure he has enough money and stock options to retire and stop ruining software.

Return to posts index

Brian Nichols
Re: Randy Ubillos should Resign
on Jun 24, 2011 at 7:49:28 pm

Wasn't this debacle what everyone feared when he was named as the development lead for the new version of FCP? I even wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt, he couldn't possibly trash what FCP had built up over the past 10 years... WRONG!!! He should be let go unless if Apple truly does not want to play in the pro app market anymore.

Return to posts index

Steven Gonzales
on Jun 24, 2011 at 7:55:01 pm

I think Randy Ubillos has been with Final Cut since the beginning. In fact, I believe he came to Apple when they acquired the editing software and team from Macromedia.

He may be misguided, but he didn't suddenly come in and ruin Final Cut Pro. He was also responsible for what was good in previous versions.

Return to posts index

J Hussar
on Jun 24, 2011 at 7:59:35 pm

That is true and I said that in my original post.

I think his ego has gone out of control - he just doesn't care what the post community thinks or does. That is dangerous for any software developer.

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
on Jun 24, 2011 at 8:07:21 pm

Those are the facts... he moved around a bit, did iMovie 11 I know... but this fellow has designed the NLE software that 70% of the industry has or is using. He knows what the pros need. If Apple released software with holes in it, it may well not have been Randy who gave the green light folks.

It took Apple many months to write FCP X based on Code that was already written for iMovie. What makes you think they had the time to add all of the features we need? They didn't guys. IT took the Pro Apps team about 9 months just to port Color from Unix to OS X. I was on that beta too. They didn't change anything other than to make it round trip with FCP. THIS TOOK MONTHS. No pile of new features from the software they bough (it was called Final Touch).

So releasing software that WILL work for some. (if you're all file based, and can live without layout to tape and external video (Many users are in this boat) you could jump to X and stay there right now.

I've been on many betas of FCP. When we got to the end of the FCP 4 beta we got a questionnaire asking whether or not the software is ready from our point of view. There were about 15? or so of us on this test. We ALL said NO WAY is it ready. Too buggy etc... The bean counters at Apple said release NOW. So they had to release buggy software. If you've been around and ran FCP 4.0 you know what I mean. Within about 24 hours we were already in a NEW beta (4.1)... Hey, can't blame Randy for that one, so why jump to the conclusion it's his doing the way things are with this release?

Jerry

Return to posts index

J Hussar
on Jun 24, 2011 at 8:51:31 pm

I hear you Jerry, but Randy is now known to do what he wants to do, not what anyone wants or needs - that comes with arrogance. I went and looked for comments about him from this past winter (I have to admit I laughed when I saw them as they were prophetic). Comment are from Feb 23rd and 24th of this year.:

Feb 23, 2011

"Randy Ubillos, the developer behind the completely redesigned iMovie in 2008" That should read "the guy that ruined iMovie" Lets hope this idiot does not butcher FCP as well.

Aw man. I'm really worried about this. I hope they don't touch Color!

Ruh Roh
I don't like the sound of 'ambitious' at all. I don't need my editing software to be pretty. I need to to be simple and work well. 'Ambitious' sounds like the want to redefine editing software.

This has me very nervous. I can't stand iMovie. Please tell me it's not headed in that direction.

This is terrifying.

Sigh, I seriously hope the head guy who worked on the new dumbed down iMovie won't work his "magic" on this...

Slightly scared about this...

I just hope this won't turn into iMovie Pro...
Like almost everybody else who is familiar with FCS I hate the new iMovie crap with venom.

Why on earth would they do "complete redesign of the UI"? In all honesty it doesn't make any sense especially when a "iMovie guy" has the lead. There really isn't anything wrong with FCP user interface. Yes, it can be made better but complete redesign sounds bad since you have re-learn something that brings you very little benefits.

Is this the guy that shafted iMovie? great stuff, he's worked his "magic" on FCP now... what will we have? No timeline? No save? Movie Trailers!?

That "idiot" decided to totally change iMovie in one of the dumbest UI moves ever. What happens when (if) he decides to do the same to FCP? Worried yet? LOL

Hopefully FCP still has a timeline...iMovie '08 is horrifyingly awful.

put us out of our misery!!!
Please Apple, just tell us now that you don't care about pro users so we can go and buy Avid or Premiere!!!

iMove6 HD was good - they killed it when they redesigned it and I switched to FCP ... hope they don't add the 'simplicity' of the 'new' Movie to FCP, not sure where I am going then ....

Return to posts index

J Hussar
on Jun 24, 2011 at 7:57:07 pm

Yes, I remember very well how people were exceptionally worried when they put him in charge.

I was hoping against hope that Ubillos wouldn't ever dare screw up the major success that FCP had become. I really didn't think it possible, this was a flagship product.

But he did it!

Return to posts index

Gregory Butner
on Jun 24, 2011 at 8:48:10 pm

I think we are all far too ignorant to be calling for a specific person's job at Apple. No one here really knows exactly where the fault lies. It's all just speculation. I am personally impressed by certain aspects of Final Cut Pro X, but I certainly wouldn't even attempt a project on it that I was being paid for. How do you know that Ubillos wasn't the guy that put in the good stuff and someone else made him release the software before it was complete? Maybe it was his fault, but unless you work at Apple, I doubt that you would really know.

Return to posts index

Brad Bussé
on Jun 24, 2011 at 10:48:39 pm

[Gregory Butner] " I think we are all far too ignorant to be calling for a specific person's job at Apple."

Agreed. I think it's very important not to attack individuals, irregardless of circumstances (with the exceptions of perhaps CEOs when they run a company into the ground like Captain Ahab). Utimately, there are more people involved in both the design, budget and focus, and management. For all we know, Randy had a spectacular vision in mind for delivery, but he was pressured to get FCP X out the door and had to cut major features to be added later, due to only having enough manpower to get the redesigned framework complete (get the chassis and engine done, and add the doors and wheels later). I've read countless comments at the Cow about how Apple (which already runs with small dedicated teams of senior talent), has "borrowed" a lot of talent from the Pro Apps division to work on iOS over the past 2 or 3 years.

So, Randy, this isn't directed at you, but given the thread I couldn't resist:
http://www.theonion.com/articles/apple-employee-fired-for-thinking-differen...

Return to posts index

Nelson Torres
on Jun 24, 2011 at 10:10:59 pm

Randy Ubillos invented FCP. He's quite an incredible guy actually. I don't think he was trying to be malevolent when changing so much of the software. He was trying to make it better. Albeit he has deployed significant & drastic changes in the software for no apparent reason and omitted other functionalities. This new timeline as far as I'm concerned is pretty cumbersome, but others may like it better.

Give the guy a break. His hearts in the right place. We had an incredible run for 10 wonderful years. Be thankful for the time we had.

Now back to work on my new Avid which has become more Final Cutty.

Return to posts index

J Hussar
on Jun 24, 2011 at 11:51:40 pm

I know what you are saying, but I think Randy has snapped... He even screwed the iMovie people, which I find amazing! Even they thought he killed their limited set of features!

I certainly wouldn't want him designing anything for pros - maybe years ago, but not now!

This is from AppleInsider from May 18, 2010

"In 2007, Final Cut Pro's original lead developer, Randy Ubillos, completely redesigned iMovie '08 to streamline and simplify the iLife title. The changes prompted criticism from existing iMovie users, as the new app didn't do everything the previous versions did. Last January, Apple released an enhanced iMovie '09 version that addressed many of those missing elements in the new app.

The Final Cut Pro team has since been put back under the direction of Ubillos, according to information AppleInsider has obtained, with the aim of similarly improving Final Cut Studio and making it more appealing and useful to the needs of prosumers. Currently, Final Cut Pro is targeted at advanced professionals with a scaled down, less expensive Final Cut Express version sold to users who don't need all of its high end features. Because Apple now primarily sells the Express version, the company wants to rethink Final Cut Studio and scale its overall development to better fit the majority of its customers."

Return to posts index

Douglas K. Dempsey
on Jun 25, 2011 at 12:25:19 am

Excuse me, but who made the decision to make FCPX the ONLY Final Cut, and retire FCP7?

THAT'S the person who should be fired. Let FCPX take it's course. I will embrace it to teach my high school students.

But I resent that, in order to create a "clear path" for the befuddles prosumer, Apple thought it necessary to completely junk an app that many of us will need to keep using, unsupported, for quite some time.

Return to posts index

Chris Jacek
on Jun 25, 2011 at 2:54:06 am

I don't think the man should be fired, but have him do what he does best. He really is an amazing engineer. He's just wasn't the right guy to be the designer. When I worked there (2000-2001), the designer was Brian Meeney, who was more of a video guy than a computer guy. Brian and Randy had their disagreements, but I think that was good for the product. I think that was, and still is, the right way to go. Have a creative person who understands the end-user as the designer, and a top notch computer guy as the lead engineer.

Professor, Producer, Editor
and former Apple Employee

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]