FORUMS: list search recent posts

Speaking of GPUs and FCPX....

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
joe mordecai
Speaking of GPUs and FCPX....
on Jun 12, 2013 at 3:29:03 pm

Soooo.... in the meantime, between my current 2010 Mac Pro and buying the new one (which I may not even buy until 2014 or 2015, theoretically), is there a consensus on what the best graphics card is for using FCPX?

My current system info:

Mac Pro 8-core (2x2.4 Quad) (2010)
28 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
ATI Radeon HD 5870 (1GB)
27" LED Cinema Display
23" Cinema Display
OS X 10.6.8

Anyone upgrade from the 5870? Is the AMD Sapphire 7970 worthy? Something out of the various GeForce cards?

I may also take the plunge with the PCIe Mercury Accelsior_E2 for my main system drive. FCPX is great, and I've been using it for my work with great success, but we're all familiar with how laggy it can be (damn Core Animation).

In any event, if anyone has any suggestions I'd love to hear 'em, or if there's a thread that already addresses this topic, do point me in that direction.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Speaking of GPUs and FCPX....
on Jun 12, 2013 at 3:53:07 pm

Barefeats have done a slew of tests with the new GPUs on 2010 MacPro although only a few with FCPX. Many more tests with Motion, Resolve, After Effects though.

It looks like the testing started in March and it seems close to half their posts post that are GPU tests.
http://barefeats.com

Return to posts index

Mark Dobson
Re: Speaking of GPUs and FCPX....
on Jun 12, 2013 at 5:25:51 pm

Honestly, save the money and put it in a piggy bank.

I think you will be only get slight improvements through biffing up your graphics card, the trick is a new mac ( the 27" iMac is excellent ) and thunderbolt hard drives.

Your PCIe Mercury Accelsior_E2 will probably be a better buy but will set you back $719.99 (OWC) and the AMDSapphire 7970 another $400 - and for that money you could almost get a new generation Macbook Pro which will be considerably faster than your present machine.

The future is here already and investing in an old MacPro, however brilliant it was when you bought it will not bring you to a place where FCPX runs really well.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]