FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP X on a MacBook Air

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mitch Ives
FCP X on a MacBook Air
on Jun 11, 2013 at 11:23:03 pm

Anybody running FCP X on a MacBook Air? If so, how does it run and are you using 4GB or 8GB or ram?

Mitch Ives
Insight Productions Corp.

"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things." - Winston Churchill

Return to posts index

Andy Field
Re: FCP X on a MacBook Air
on Jun 11, 2013 at 11:54:12 pm

Not a macbook air but on a Macbook Pro Retina...which is really a souped up macbook air (SSD) FCPX and FCP 7 rocks on this machine - super fast

Andy Field
FieldVision Productions
N. Bethesda, Maryland 20852

Return to posts index

Darren Roark
on Jun 12, 2013 at 12:06:46 am

I have on an i5 13" with 4GB RAM. It works really well if you have fast storage. I was using a Seagate 4TB thunderbolt drive. It gets about 120 MBs.

I do turn rendering off and use proxy media when I can. I now have a retina MBP now.

The new Haswell chip's GPU is supposed to compare with many a curent discrete one.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jun 12, 2013 at 5:04:11 am

Good golly man get yourself to Amazon and buy some RAM already. 16 gigs would cost you like $70.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jun 12, 2013 at 5:08:20 am

My bad, when I bought this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0076W9Q5A/ref=ox_ya_os_product back in November it was $83. Now it's $128! Still I'd get it.

Return to posts index

Darren Roark
on Jun 12, 2013 at 5:08:21 am

This is the same sage advice I give to all those dying breeds of portable mac users who can do such things. On a 2011 MB Air, you are stuck with what the Apple guardians gave you at purchase.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jun 12, 2013 at 5:20:13 am

Ah. When you said 13" i5 I read it as you were referring to the MacBook Pro. Yup. That's the main reason we didn't buy an air. We bought the $1100 MacBook Pro i5 and stuck the 16gigs in it. Mainly my wife's work machine, but we take it to shoots and such and edit a little in the field. Works great. I love the fact that it's the last breed that has ethernet, FW800, USB3, Thunderbolt, and a DVD Burner. With my iMacs, I either got USB2, TB, FW800 & Burner, OR USB3, TB and no burner. The burner and FW800 would have been nice on latest iMacs.

Return to posts index

Darren Roark
on Jun 12, 2013 at 5:54:19 am

Brett, I must say I am a big fan of your posts, you have a great open mind for the changes we are all facing.

And as a note of respect to you, my wife tells me constantly that I can't explain things for crap. Except she didn't say crap.

It's funny how Apple has for the past ten years been the tech version of Richard Simmon's Deal a Meal. "You can have this, or give up that in your portable edit system..."

I'd watch that ad.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jun 13, 2013 at 1:57:04 am

Thanks! Posting here can certainly be an addiction. I don't really know why. I come here looking to learn stuff but then end up just talking shop, or sh!t. MacRumors is pretty addictive too. But I rarely post there.

Return to posts index

Richard Jacana
on Jun 18, 2013 at 5:36:18 am

I have a top of the range 2011 i7 Air with 8Gb of memory and the 4000 card. I can only compare it to my Mini with same processor but with the optional MD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB card. For small projects it runs fine, I can even play original AVCHD footage encoded at 130Mbps. Running some comparison I did notice for some things the Air was half a quick as the mini e.g. add a "rain effect" took 2x on the Air so I assume the the Air was not using the 4000 with Open CL or something like that but the Mini was. Important is the same and the Air has a quicker SSD than the cheap SSD in the Mini. I was able to edit a poject with 1200 clips on both machines but I recall the Mini being a little faster to render thumbnails - used the same external TB drive that held the project with 1200 events.

I'd get the newest Air as the graphics card rocks now and uses more memory I think - don't forget the card grabs memory from our Ram. Don't get 4gb of Ram, get 8Gb and and i5 supposedly doesn't have same mojo that the i7 has for stuff like video and hyper-threading if the app supports it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]