balanced article on the new Mac Pro...

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Charlie Austin
balanced article on the new Mac Pro...
on Jun 11, 2013 at 6:52:49 pm

A good writeup...

http://www.fxguide.com/quicktakes/the-new-mac-pro-the-cube-comes-of-age/

Sure to annoy as many users as delighting them, the new hardware marks a significant departure from the currently shipping Mac Pro tower. The key discussion concerns seem to be around expandability and graphics card support. Actually, discussion isn’t the right word. I’ll call it what it is: the latest internet shitstorm to hit our industry since the previous darkest day in history: May 6, 2013 – the Adobe Creative Cloud announcement.

-------------------------------------------------------------

~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: balanced article on the new Mac Pro...
on Jun 11, 2013 at 7:47:08 pm

The tube was a surprise. I'd have to think it could have just as easily been a square with two fans, but Apple has to justify the cost somehow.

Otherwise, pretty much what I figured. Top of the line processors, RAM, and GPUs. No CD/DVD of course.

Does it come with a Keyboard/Mouse? :)

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Jun 11, 2013 at 7:50:04 pm

[Bret Williams] "Does it come with a Keyboard/Mouse? :)"

No. There is a wireless link that must be surgically implanted in your brain in order to control the tube. I assume 3'rd party vendors will step in to create devices for those who don't want the operation... :-)

-------------------------------------------------------------

~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Shawn Marshall
on Jun 11, 2013 at 10:27:41 pm

This article states that there will only be one processor. I haven't seen anything from Apple stating that explicitly. Their Mac Pro preview site says "With configurations offering up to 12 cores of processing power..." Does that exclude a dual processor configuration?

Also, I don't know of any Xeon processors that have 12 cores. The highest I can see tops out at 8. Maybe the next generation of E5s have 12 core versions.

Shawn Marshall
Marshall Arts Motion Graphics

Return to posts index

Rick Lang
on Jun 12, 2013 at 3:58:09 am

The 12 cores claim made me think it must be dual 6-core CPUs but Apple didn't explicitly say that. Other people are claiming it is only a single 6-core hyper threaded processor, so really just 12 threads. I can't believe the reality distortion field under Tim Cook is going to claim 12 threads is the same as 12 cores so still hoping there is a single 6-core option and a dual 6-core offering. But we know even the entry-level Tube will have two GPUs!

You know I don't even know the CPU codes they will be using. That would clarify things. Since they appear to have made a custom AMD FirePro GPU, maybe they convinced their good friends at Intel to make them a custom CPU! Nothing would surprise me. I'd do it if I was the CEO at needed to be able to distinguish my product from those rapacious Linux and PC powerhouses.

Rick Lang

iMac 27” 2.8GHz i7 16GB

Return to posts index

Chris Kenny
on Jun 12, 2013 at 5:07:51 am

[Rick Lang] "The 12 cores claim made me think it must be dual 6-core CPUs but Apple didn't explicitly say that. Other people are claiming it is only a single 6-core hyper threaded processor, so really just 12 threads. I can't believe the reality distortion field under Tim Cook is going to claim 12 threads is the same as 12 cores so still hoping there is a single 6-core option and a dual 6-core offering. But we know even the entry-level Tube will have two GPUs!"

You can clearly see there's a single CPU socket in the photos Apple has posted, and it seems unlikely they'd post photos of a single socket version of the machine if there were a dual socket version.

So, it's almost certainly going to be a single next-generation Xeon E5. If I recall correctly, these showed up on a leaked roadmap some months back. Based on how Intel prices its higher core count CPUs, a 12 core model is going to be... not inexpensive.

--
Digital Workflow/Colorist, Nice Dissolve.

You should follow me on Twitter here. Or read our blog.

Return to posts index

Rick Lang
on Jun 12, 2013 at 12:59:50 pm

Thanks, Chris, you must be right. That explains why I couldn't find the part number on Intel's site: it is next generation. And that reassures me it is 12-core, not 12 threads as some naysayers elsewhere claimed.

Rick Lang

iMac 27” 2.8GHz i7 16GB

Return to posts index

Jim Wiseman
on Jun 12, 2013 at 5:28:10 am

Walter Soyka, who follows these things more closely than I do, suggested it would be a single E5-2600 v2 Xeon which has up to 12 actual cores in one processor.

Jim Wiseman
Sony PMW-EX1,Pana AJ-D810 DVCPro, DVX-100, Nikon D7000, Final Cut Studio 2 and 3, Media 100 Suite 2.1.3, Premiere Pro 5.5 and 6.0, AJA ioHD, AJA Kona LHi, Avid MC, Hexacore MacPro 3.33 Ghz 24Gb RAM GTX-285 120GB SSD, Macbook Pro 17" 2011 2.2 Ghz Quadcore i7 8Gb SSD, G5 Quadcore PCIe

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]