New MP Upgradeable? Maybe so...

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Charlie Austin
New MP Upgradeable? Maybe so...
on Jun 11, 2013 at 5:02:14 pm

Interesting... what say you now?

http://alex4d.wordpress.com/2013/06/11/apples-2013-macpro-preview-video/

According to a ‘friend of a friend’ report from the Worldwide Developer’s conference posted to the CGSociety forum:

OK – I have a friend the WWDC and he has asked a lot of questions to the right guy. The Graphics cards in this new macpro are swappable. But they are bespoke and a new form factor it seems. Ram / GPU and the Main drive is all updatable – it does seem that there is the possibility of installing 2 or more of these PCIe drives…

-------------------------------------------------------------

~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: New MP Upgradeable? Maybe so...
on Jun 11, 2013 at 5:26:39 pm

I think that assuming a machine can be serviced, parts can be replaced.

My own thinking is that just as one might have to bring in a MBP to have the battery replaced, there may be a means to do the equivalent with the GPU in the new MacPro for example. Given the apparent custom design of the board the GPU sits on, one does have to wonder whether the GPU makers will make such cards which would, most likely, require a purchase from Apple and brought in to their stores for actual install.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Jun 11, 2013 at 5:30:08 pm

[Craig Seeman] " one does have to wonder whether the GPU makers will make such cards which would, most likely, require a purchase from Apple and brought in to their stores for actual install."

Agreed. But, like anything, if a company sees a potential revenue stream, they will make the product. If this thing sells, I would think vendors will step up to the plate...

Return to posts index

Ridley Walker
on Jun 11, 2013 at 5:38:11 pm

Or it could be the new G4 Cube. Sexy but doomed.

One of the benefits of the current MacPro design is housing the PCIe boards, HDDs/SSDs, the new design means everything a connected peripheral, a tangle of TB and USB cables.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Jun 11, 2013 at 5:47:19 pm

[Ridley Walker] "Or it could be the new G4 Cube. Sexy but doomed."

Well, sure. One would hope Apple has learned from that experience, but who knows...

Return to posts index

larry towers
on Jun 11, 2013 at 6:02:59 pm

Even if it were to be "upgradeable" its standard interconnects for all of the parts means number of options will be ridiculously limited and expensive.

Return to posts index

Rick Lang
on Jun 12, 2013 at 1:51:41 pm

Speaking of sexy and R2D2, I don't know how turned on you would be by this concept:

If there is a glass that is a good conductor of heat comparable to the cylinder metal housing of the Mac Pro Tube, I'd like to see the option of a glass cylindrical enclosure revealing all those sexy parts reminiscent of the old iMacs. I'd put it on my desktop behind my screens even if the noisy peripherals were in my cabinets.

Rick Lang

iMac 27” 2.8GHz i7 16GB

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jun 12, 2013 at 1:57:13 pm

[Rick Lang] "If there is a glass that is a good conductor of heat comparable to the cylinder metal housing of the Mac Pro Tube, I'd like to see the option of a glass cylindrical enclosure revealing all those sexy parts reminiscent of the old iMacs. I'd put it on my desktop behind my screens even if the noisy peripherals were in my cabinets."

Does the outer housing actually provide passive cooling? Isn't that what the thermal core in the middle is for?

Reminds me of the Audi R8: the engineers thought the motor was too beautiful to be hidden under sheet metal, so they covered it with glass instead.

It also reminds me of gamer case mods, with plastic panels, garish LEDs and fans, etc.

To those working on designs for after-market new Mac Pro cases: please think Audi, not Alienware.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Mark Dobson
on Jun 11, 2013 at 6:48:59 pm

[Ridley Walker] "the new design means everything a connected peripheral, a tangle of TB and USB cables."

If you've got the iMac that's pretty much what you'll see out the back - but tangle is probably too strong a description. The thunderbolt cables are too thick to tangle - they just dangle !

I've got a bunch of thunderbolt cables loosely held together with a velcro strap so that when I disconnect my external drives everything stays more or less in place.

One thing I thought strange in the presentation was that you could swing the back of the new Mac Pro towards you to connect cables. But if you have some connected already this will not work and you'll have to lean over to see the pretty lights from behind.

Return to posts index

Ridley Walker
on Jun 11, 2013 at 7:11:00 pm

[Mark Dobson] "One thing I thought strange in the presentation was that you could swing the back of the new Mac Pro towards you to connect cables. But if you have some connected already this will not work and you'll have to lean over to see the pretty lights from behind.
"

Yup. Seems like the brilliant Jony Ives doesn't actually use a MacPro as most of us do.

The machine looks like it will scream but at this point, when I upgrade from my current MacPro rig, I'm more likely to build a Hackintosh with Thunderbolt for the flexibility and expansion options it would provide.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Jun 11, 2013 at 7:55:57 pm

[Mark Dobson] " But if you have some connected already this will not work and you'll have to lean over to see the pretty lights from behind."

Or you could, you know, leave a little slack in your bundle of cables... :-)

Return to posts index

Brandon Cordy
on Jun 11, 2013 at 5:57:43 pm

!!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]