FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCPX Magnetic Timeline

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nelson Torres
FCPX Magnetic Timeline
on Jun 24, 2011 at 6:51:51 pm

What are the advantages of the magnetic timeline? I know you have to jump through hoops to get rid of the audio from video clips. I tried iMovie's version of the MT and didn't care for the idea at all. I found it very cumbersome to make simple cuts. Is the process basically the same in FCPX or was it modified? In what ways does it help me create and make my time working better?

Return to posts index

Greg Burke
Re: FCPX Magnetic Timeline
on Jun 24, 2011 at 7:06:20 pm

Right now Im still trying to figure out the best way to Do this as well, It seems to be designed in a way so "Your average Joe" doesn't get Clips lost if he doesn't know what he's doing. I wish you could turn it off. That way you could do what you need and turn it back on if you wanted. But to answer your question I haven't figured out a Effective way to do that yet.

Return to posts index

Nayeli Garci-Crespo
on Jun 24, 2011 at 8:05:12 pm

Is there really no way to turn it off? Really??

-Nayeli

Return to posts index

Greg Burke
on Jun 24, 2011 at 8:11:04 pm

not that I can find,

Return to posts index

TS O'Grady
on Jun 24, 2011 at 8:34:24 pm

Wow. Mr. Burke, you certainly have spent a lot of time trashing FCP X as if you have an experts' perspective and now you come back with a question that, if you had stopped bitchin' for a moment, you may have noticed was answered a few days ago? The answer is yes, you can turn it off. But probably not the way you think. I could be a prick and tell you to search for it, but here's the explanation from that no good, Apple loving, FCP X fanboy Chris Kenny:

"Flip from 'Select' mode to 'Position' mode, and clips will go exactly where you drag them, overwriting other clips or leaving gaps as necessary. To delete a clip and leave a gap, use 'Replace With Gap' instead of just deleting normally. ('Replace With Gap' is assigned to the forward delete key.)

A couple of more useful semi-related features: if you drop a clip on another clip in the timeline, a contextual menu will give you replacement options. Also, you can now insert specific (named) placeholder clips (with Edit -> Insert Placeholder), so things you intend to fill in later don't just have to be gaps named with markers anymore."

The menu for this can be found when you click on the blue curser/arrow button above the timeline.
Glad to see you're helping out though!

Return to posts index

Greg Burke
on Jun 24, 2011 at 8:47:02 pm

ah bitching? okay...umm all I said was I can't figure out how to it the magnetic timeline off. Wow TS relax ;P

btw thats process is way more complicated then it needs to be. Just saying :p

I wear many hats.
http://www.gregburkepost.com

Return to posts index

Sam Krauser
on Jun 25, 2011 at 2:01:46 am

I don't think one keystroke (P) to turn of the magnetism is complicated...In fact...It's one of the most simple commands to execute.

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Jun 24, 2011 at 9:51:37 pm

that is a classy response -

my two cent - the position tool is not an annulment of the magnetic timeline. FCPX can have no gaps - you can hold a modifier and - horror of horrors - allow a clip to traverse the timeline and impact on other clips - this is not clip behaviour - the magnetic timeline is permanent.

moronically, if you move a clip using the position tool, the gap will not be allowed to exist - a slug will appear. That is stupid. if I need to perceive what is going to, or should happen in a space, i cannot simply slide the next three or four clips down the track, leave a breather, and begin to place clips into the black, trying to consider in my mind the number and type of shots I feel should be there.

Personally I find this the most galling point, more so than the immediate attachment of V2 clips to V1 - Randy, the overweening idiot, has chosen to remove the space for me to calmly place and slide my clips around in the as yet unexpressed parts of my edit - particularly in short form, in emotive pieces where what happens over two seconds of a vo punch and a music crescendo, where what happens there is critical and I don't yet know what it is, to have clips re-arrange, or when temporarily halted by the position tool, to have moronic slugs appear for no reason, angers me on a fundamental level and I will tell you why - in those moments, I am not an adherent to FCP, I believe that that stuff, the stuff that space is allowing me, is the basis of editing.
Apple, in their engorged moronic hubris chose to screw with the most basic conceptual precepts of editing. We cant even see the clip and the target at the same time.

As walter murch (may buddha shine on his soul) pretty brilliantly outlines, editing is kind of in us. It's in the way we blink, when we pan and perceive a room, it was in us, before there were tools to synthesise it. The tools created to this point have been fairly sensitive to basic requirements.

That apple would see fit to screw with our basic creative pathways, that they would merrily lobotomise the tools we reach for when trying to express an edit, simply in order to make a fast buck from a 720p iphone user, is annoying in the order of loud blackboard scraping mindbogglingly annoying.

http://bit.ly/ivsrTr

http://www.ogallchoir.net
promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Michel Gallone
on Jun 26, 2011 at 8:42:57 am

Totally correct Aindreas.
What it really means to me at this point is the that fcpx can only be used as a "plug in"
Example: I found the stabilizer pretty cool. I placed all of my shaky shot on a time line. Processed them and re-imported them to FCP6 for "REAL" editing
Same with audio. The auto leveling and compressor in fcpx is better than fcp6 native audio filters. SO again, I process my files in x and re-import in 6.
It naturally is not as cool as a real plug in, because you have to reboot every time with the other partition!!

But that is the only use of fcpx to me. It's like a a super boosted engine in a car with no tires.

Michel Gallone
Sowatt Music sàrl
Music Post and Shooting
http://sowattmusic.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]