FORUMS: list search recent posts

MacPro price speculation ...

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Figgiani
MacPro price speculation ...
on Jun 11, 2013 at 2:37:03 am

Anyone care to make a predication on the price of the new MacPro? I'm guessing apple will offer three versions with maybe 8, 16, and 32 gigs of RAM, along with various storage capacity and CPU Core options.

The general consensus out there is that the machine is going to be very expensive, even at the base level ...

-paul.

Return to posts index

Lance Moody
Re: MacPro price speculation ...
on Jun 11, 2013 at 2:49:46 am

Is the 1866MHz DDR3 RAM the same stuff you can get anywhere now? If so, it looks to be very cheap (compared to what I put into my machine in late 2010).

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 11, 2013 at 2:52:02 am

$3999
$4999
$6499
30th Anniversary Edition (1984-2014) $12,999

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
on Jun 11, 2013 at 2:52:22 am

With current prices for PCI SSD storage and that fast RAM, plus a brand new processor...it's gonna be expensive. Not many have brought up the fact that it will be assembled by high-priced American workers. The case is pretty simple and probably affordable to mass produce.

For me it is more about what I have to buy in addition to the MacPro (because what I have won't work). That's the wild card. Lots of adapters, Thunderbolt expansion boxes, more outlets for all the wall rats I will have to plug in...and a big box of cable ties to wrap up all the cables.

But I can sell all my old stuff on ebay for pennies on the dollar, I suppose.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production, Post, Studio Sound Stage
Founder/President/Editor/Designer/Animator
http://www.tiltmedia.com

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Jun 11, 2013 at 3:43:14 am

[Rich Rubasch] " Not many have brought up the fact that it will be assembled by high-priced American workers"

Not to take this thread political but the cost of labor isn't that big of a factor in the grand scheme of things. Finding enough qualified engineers, labor regulations, environmental regulations, being closer to other parts of the supply chain, etc., factor more into the cost cutting and efficiency of going over seas than straight up labor costs.

Corning, for example, opened up a new Gorilla Glass factory in recently China (it's first glass factory outside of the U.S.) and said it was logistics, not hourly wage, that was the deciding factor. Their new plant is down the street from the factory that will take the raw sheets of glass and cut them into displays for iDevices. For the demand Corning is seeing these days, solely shipping raw sheets of glass from the U.S. to China doesn't make business since anymore.

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
on Jun 11, 2013 at 3:43:41 am

[Rich Rubasch] "With current prices for PCI SSD storage and that fast RAM, plus a brand new processor...it's gonna be expensive."

The new MacBook Air shipping today also uses PCIe SSD and it costs the same as last year's model. The CPU and RAM are nothing custom, just low-end server components. Single 12 core Ivy Bridge E5 will cost less than two of the old Westmere Xeons they are selling today. I think it will be in line with today's Mac Pro single CPU configurations' prices, probably something like $2,999 and up.

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index

Rick Lang
on Jun 12, 2013 at 1:38:12 pm

[Andrew Richards] "I think it will be in line with today's Mac Pro single CPU configurations' prices, probably something like $2,999 and up."

I'd like to think that too, but those dual GPUs will be in every configuration, perhaps not with 6GB of video memory for the entry-level. But if you work in 4D as I expect (originating from the Blackmagic Design BMPC4K camera for $4K including full Resolve 10), i think the 6GB will be needed. I'm hoping Tim Cook, the shrewd supply manager, can bring his best negotiation skills and keep the major components at a lower cost even though it would appear Apple's boards may be all custom design implementations. Trouble is Peter Oppenheimer rarely gives ground on the Apple 'tax' and I fear Apple's high margins. Again, they need to be very shrewd with this first-generation machine and keep it priced relatively low regardless of the intended professional market.

And let's not forget a lot of editors and VFX artists will be in the market for a 10bit quality 4K screen at a reasonable cost even if delivering HD. Deliverables in HD will persist for many years (look at the life of SD), but capturing and processing 4K digital film will soon be very affordable and grow that market at which Apple is pointing the Mac Pro Tube.

Rick Lang

iMac 27” 2.8GHz i7 16GB

Return to posts index

Jamie Franklin
on Jun 11, 2013 at 3:43:52 am

[Rich Rubasch] " Not many have brought up the fact that it will be assembled by high-priced American workers"

That's because study after study shows that they still make a ridiculous profit using union wages

[Rich Rubasch] "But I can sell all my old stuff on ebay for pennies on the dollar, I suppose."

Hope so. I'll bite. I'd much rather have a station that I can swap out, switch parts, etc from my current stash and still have a rocket fast 12-core than a bubbledom cha$$iS expanded suppository.

I have to say, for those itching to buy this thing for just FCX, seems like (more than likely expensive) overkill for that mag-democratized "app"

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Jun 11, 2013 at 5:13:16 am

[Jamie Franklin] "I have to say, for those itching to buy this thing for just FCX, seems like (more than likely expensive) overkill for that mag-democratized "app""

I think it'll be quite nice, but it's good to hear your opinion as a "professional".

-------------------------------------------------------------

~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Jamie Franklin
on Jun 11, 2013 at 7:03:17 am

[Charlie Austin] "I think it'll be quite nice, but it's good to hear your opinion as a "professional"."

Odd comment...but that's le cow.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Jun 11, 2013 at 8:39:59 am

[Jamie Franklin] "I have to say, for those itching to buy this thing for just FCX, seems like (more than likely expensive) overkill for that mag-democratized "app""

What I'm enjoying about the Mac Pro news is that it brings back interesting comments like that, I've really missed them.

Steve Connor

There's nothing we can't argue about on the FCPX COW Forum

Return to posts index

Jamie Franklin
on Jun 11, 2013 at 7:04:01 pm

What's really interesting is how personal some of the mac heads take the discussion when seeing a new product criticized. That's never happened before..

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Jun 11, 2013 at 7:07:27 pm

[Jamie Franklin] "What's really interesting is how personal some of the mac heads"

also how vehement some of the "PC heads" are in their criticism of it.

It's fun, just like the weeks after the FCPX announcement.

Steve Connor

There's nothing we can't argue about on the FCPX COW Forum

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Jun 11, 2013 at 7:21:15 pm

[Steve Connor] "It's fun, just like the weeks after the FCPX announcement."

:-) It's really amazing to me how some people who dislike an app, or bit of hardware, have to not only express their disdain for said objects, but also for the people who disagree. And this comes from both sides of the coin.

I like FCP X, and I think the new MP is gonna be great. But I don't think people who disagree with me are cantankerous luddite poseurs. That would be silly.

Return to posts index

Jamie Franklin
on Jun 11, 2013 at 9:29:32 pm

What is it about Apple products that bring out this pathological passive aggression.

I like their products just as much as the next guy, but if someone criticizes their decisions or products, I don't turn into a first year students sociology study.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Jun 11, 2013 at 9:38:23 pm

[Jamie Franklin] "What is it about Apple products that bring out this pathological passive aggression. "

I think it stems from when you make a legitimate observation:

"I have to say, for those itching to buy this thing for just FCX, seems like (more than likely expensive) overkill..."

but then feel compelled to add ...for that mag-democratized "app"

First, what was the point of adding that? Second... what does it even mean? :-)

Return to posts index

Jamie Franklin
on Jun 11, 2013 at 11:26:42 pm

Please. The difference, I may be aggressive towards the app or hardware. You guys start the aggression and snide on a personal basis.

Lets move on shall we.

The hardware will be amazing for the app. It just seems like overkill to me, add the potential expense and Apple tax. (price and required expansion)

The imacs, even the i7 mini, are nice. I don't see the need for the redefined "pro". Toys are fun, but when your bank account bleeds for overkill, you start seeing diminishing returns.

The Cudas will be missed.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Jun 11, 2013 at 11:51:47 pm

[Jamie Franklin] "Please. The difference, I may be aggressive towards the app or hardware. You guys start the aggression and snide on a personal basis.

Lets move on shall we.

The hardware will be amazing for the app. It just seems like overkill to me, add the potential expense and Apple tax. (price and required expansion)

The imacs, even the i7 mini, are nice. I don't see the need for the redefined "pro". Toys are fun, but when your bank account bleeds for overkill, you start seeing diminishing returns.

The Cudas will be missed."

Fair enough. Not sure about what you mean by Apple redefining "pro" as it's always been a vague term anyway. :-)

Return to posts index

Jamie Franklin
on Jun 12, 2013 at 3:18:28 am

[Charlie Austin] "Not sure about what you mean by Apple redefining "pro""

I don't believe Apple has redefined it, I think we have. I do think Randy's vision though distorted Apple's culture of what defines a "pro" user. "If my grandma can do it, the pros will love it!!" mentality

Apple has made some disheartening moves the last few years as an interest based redefined "pro user". In a short period of time I have gone from loving their pro products to absolute disdain.

I was excited for FCX.

I was excited for the Mac Pro.

Both are huge disappointments for me. Although I still give FCX the edge. The Mac Pro would make a great tool. I don't believe FCX is, but neither work for me in a shared environment that can be incorporated in my existing eco-system. Which is a real shame and means I'll finally be looking at HP. Which I should have done long ago, but my stubbornness for Mac won over. Shoulda coulda woulda...doing. Bygones.

And I'll still be buying another (my 3rd) Macbook Pro. For an everyday tool on the go, it's amazing.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Jun 12, 2013 at 5:35:09 am

[Jamie Franklin] "I don't believe Apple has redefined it, I think we have. I do think Randy's vision though distorted Apple's culture of what defines a "pro" user. "If my grandma can do it, the pros will love it!!" mentality"

I agree that we've redefined it, although I guess I disagree about Apples vision of what a pro is. I think, and this goes for FCP classic back in the day too, that they try to make tools that are really powerful but get out of the way. The complexity is there if you want it, but you have to look for it, rather than wade through it. And I'll agree that they've thrown some babies out with the bathwater along the way, and I can see how that's left a bad taste for a lot of people.

[Jamie Franklin] "Both are huge disappointments for me. Although I still give FCX the edge. The Mac Pro would make a great tool. I don't believe FCX is, but neither work for me in a shared environment that can be incorporated in my existing eco-system."

I can understand that. When I first opened X I was horrified. I got trials of Pr (which I hadn't used much) and MC(which I had used a lot before FCP appeared) and ot back up to speed. I'm actually glad I did that. I own 'em both now. Well... I'm renting one. lol

But then I heard they had fixed some stuff in X, and tried it again. Really dug in. And damned if I didn't end up liking it. A lot. It's... immature in a lot of ways, but I see what Apple is trying to do, and I think ultimately it's the right thing. Stuff needs improvement, and it's not going to suit everyones workflow, but it's no slouch.

As to the Mac Pro... I'm guessing Pr and MC are gonna be pretty awesome on it, as well as X. Of course, YMMV. :-)

Return to posts index

Jamie Franklin
on Jun 11, 2013 at 9:25:04 pm

You're seeing what you want to see. I see people who are happy to use macs frustrated by the Apple ethos more than PC users having a go

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jun 11, 2013 at 4:49:32 am

[Rich Rubasch] "For me it is more about what I have to buy in addition to the MacPro (because what I have won't work). That's the wild card. Lots of adapters, Thunderbolt expansion boxes, more outlets for all the wall rats I will have to plug in...and a big box of cable ties to wrap up all the cables."

If it will make you feel better, I can make you a sympathy bouquet out of my bin of long obsolete AppleTalk connecter cables and boxes - with a nice bundle of SCSI cables, Zip and Jazz drive cartridges and maybe a smattering of DC-2000 unspooled tape in place of baby's breath?

Sic transit the old. On with the new.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jun 11, 2013 at 4:55:10 am

We all have those boxes of obsolete cables & formats Bill. But Rich has to make big expensive decisions for a facility with six MacPros to replace. I think his questions are just due diligence and good business.

Not everyone is clinging pathetically to the past. Not everyone is clambering for your vision of the future either.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]