FORUMS: list search recent posts

No DVD/Blu-Ray Support

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Grant Gomm
No DVD/Blu-Ray Support
on Jun 24, 2011 at 6:34:41 pm

I just read that there will be no DVD/Blu-Ray support for FCPX. Since FCPX also does not support decks, what is the intended final media? Not broadcast, Not DVD/Blu-Ray, and from what I understand cutting a feature on it that will be seen in every theater in the US is unrealistic...

Does this mean that it's a web-only editor?

-Grant Gomm
http://www.blacklionproductions.com

EDIT: the link for the article I read is the same in a previous thread.

Return to posts index

Chris Kenny
Re: No DVD/Blu-Ray Support
on Jun 24, 2011 at 6:49:25 pm

[Grant Gomm] "I just read that there will be no DVD/Blu-Ray support for FCPX. Since FCPX also does not support decks, what is the intended final media? Not broadcast, Not DVD/Blu-Ray, and from what I understand cutting a feature on it that will be seen in every theater in the US is unrealistic...

Does this mean that it's a web-only editor?"

Err... this makes no sense. The intended output of FCP X is a movie file or image sequence. DVD creation was never built into Final Cut Pro.

It's notable that Apple is end-of-lifing DVD Studio Pro, but it isn't strictly related to Final Cut Pro.

--
Digital Workflow/Colorist, Nice Dissolve.

You should follow me on Twitter here. Or read our blog.

Return to posts index

Geoff Dills
on Jun 24, 2011 at 6:53:13 pm

It will burn blu ray to a blu ray burner...where did you read it didn't?

Best,
Geoff

Return to posts index

Grant Gomm
on Jun 24, 2011 at 6:56:03 pm

look at my post above, there is a link at the bottom.

-Grant Gomm

Return to posts index

Geoff Dills
on Jun 24, 2011 at 7:09:23 pm

Have you read the manual on how to burn blu ray?

Best,
Geoff

Return to posts index

Grant Gomm
on Jun 24, 2011 at 7:23:20 pm

No, I haven't. You've done it?

-Grant Gomm

Return to posts index

Geoff Dills
on Jun 24, 2011 at 7:28:15 pm

No need for it in my work needs, but it is clearly outlined in the manual, both to red laser for standard dvd's and if you have a blu burner, straight to that. Heard the implementation is basic, but still there.

Best,
Geoff

Return to posts index

Grant Gomm
on Jun 24, 2011 at 7:32:59 pm

Oh, that's interesting. But how would you then author it - menus chapters, etc...? Or is this just burning a video file to data on the disc?

-Grant Gomm

Return to posts index

Grant Gomm
on Jun 24, 2011 at 6:59:32 pm

right, a movie file or image sequence that you do what with? upload to the net? send it over to FCP7 to print to tape?

I think the point is that Apple sees DVD and Blu-ray creation as dead. They're not interested in it. But that's what makes me wonder - if they think it's dead, what do they expect the final output media to be? Having a video file or an image sequence only gets you part of the way to actually watching it. What's the next step?

-Grant Gomm

Return to posts index

Matt Callac
on Jun 24, 2011 at 7:03:12 pm

[Chris Kenny] "It's notable that Apple is end-of-lifing DVD Studio Pro,"

I'm pretty sure they've been trying to EOL DVD's in general for years now.

-mattyc

Return to posts index

Greg Burke
on Jun 24, 2011 at 7:08:34 pm

The Final Media Out is Youtube and Facebook Why would you ever need to deliver anything else?

Return to posts index

Mary Engleman
on Jun 24, 2011 at 7:36:09 pm

Check out "Burn your project to a disc or create a disk image" in FCPX Help
I'm not sure how to get the file into DVD Studio Pro - will it take files from the new compressor?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 24, 2011 at 7:54:24 pm

DVD and Blu-ray video disk burning is still supported through the Share feature. Menus are primitive but you can burn playable video.

I deliver cable tv spots by file. Usually MPEG-2 Program or Transport streams.
My last presentation was video encoded to an iPad and hooked up via Apple's HDMI connector to a 52" HDTV.
My corporate clients are distributed video internally (employee) and externally (customer/client) on their websites.
DVDs are obviously still used for hand out style distribution but more often I'm seeing people direct folks to websites. Blu-ray market share is still not high enough for corporate distribution.

Return to posts index

Grant Gomm
on Jun 24, 2011 at 8:33:48 pm

[Craig Seeman] "I deliver cable tv spots by file. Usually MPEG-2 Program or Transport streams.
My last presentation was video encoded to an iPad and hooked up via Apple's HDMI connector to a 52" HDTV.
My corporate clients are distributed video internally (employee) and externally (customer/client) on their websites.
DVDs are obviously still used for hand out style distribution but more often I'm seeing people direct folks to websites. Blu-ray market share is still not high enough for corporate distribution."

Ok, so this is what I'm kind of wondering about. Apple said it's shifting the whole paradigm. Is this what they're talking about, meaning the WAY our audiences even watch video?
Apple has said that this new version is about the next 10 years. What does that mean for editing? Does that mean that they anticipate in 10 years we'll all be watching everything via some sort of web connection and? That includes on-demand programming and movies. Is everything going to be online?

Think about a recent Apple commercial where people are passing around an ipad watching video from wherever they may be at the time. Is this what apple is telling us - Tape decks, video disks, etc... are EOL within the next 10 years anyhow, so let's not invest the time and money developing editing software for traditional broadcast and distribution methods?
I don't know, maybe I'm way off base, but it's interesting to consider where our industry will be in the near future, and how arising technology (internet and other forms of media distribution) has it's set of demands as well, and how those demands influence the development of other technologies, ie video post production.

Maybe I'll get flamed for this, but I think it's something to at least think about. What are your thoughts?

-Grant Gomm

Return to posts index

Grant Gomm
on Jun 24, 2011 at 8:50:39 pm

And to add to it, Jobs says iMovie "is not a toy, you and edit movies with it." Oh, and btw, this is iMovie for iPad. Wasn't FCPX built off of iMovie? At least that's what I've heard. watch this video here.
I wonder if this is any indication of Apple's vision for watching video in the future?

-Grant Gomm

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 24, 2011 at 9:24:41 pm

[Grant Gomm] "Oh, and btw, this is iMovie for iPad. Wasn't FCPX built off of iMovie?"

It depends. iMovie on Mac is Quicktime based. iMovie on iPad is AV Foundation based. FCPX is AV Foundation based.

The interface is related to iMovie. The goal was ease of use. The goal for FCPX is to combine ease of use and power. It's not there yet but I think I'm heading in the right direction. They've got a ways to go. I think FCPX, with it's database/metadata driven organization can be quite a good seat for a media server based facility . . . someday. Not there yet but I think Apple's deliberately building the foundation for that.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Jun 24, 2011 at 11:27:45 pm

I guarantee you that FCP X is being groomed to eventually end up on iOS as well.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 24, 2011 at 9:15:53 pm

The future will be file based. It can be online or portable off-line.
We're in an awkward transition period and Apple tends to be a couple of steps ahead of the curve. That's not always a good thing but Apple does tend to do that.

While it's now common if not the norm to deliver spots by file. Episodic TV generally has been tape, HDCAM SR. Given the shortage of HDCAM tape because of the disaster in Japan, HDCAM has become a scarce commodity. Eventually I think long form Episode will also be file based. This is the awkward part. What if you need to deliver HDCAM today? That can't be done in FCPX. Eventually long form will be file based too.

File based player will become the norm too for presentation. Right now it ranges from iPads and other tablets to things like Western Digital Media Players.

The web is a bit of a mixed bag too because people are still subject to unreliable connections. When ISPs have the same reliability as telephone service and everyone has affordable broadband it'll be a bit easier.

DVDs still serve an important purpose but they've declined considerably. They're a bit more reliable than a web connection but except for rural and economically underserved communities, fast internet access is available. Some people still want to hand out a tangible thing whether it be a perspective client or a wedding video. I think the decline seems to be faster in the corporate world than in some consumer areas. Hence this is another part of the awkward transition phase.

When people need video as part of their job or client search people still like to mail DVDs. The same people will send email links to video as well though where they can. Interestingly with web analytics you can know whether you video was viewed. You may never know if the DVD was viewed though unless they viewer responds.

Return to posts index

Vincent Boileau
on Jun 28, 2011 at 2:07:12 pm

So, getting back to the point here. Has anyone actually burned a Blu-ray using FCP X yet? Does it support 5.1 audio?

Many of our clients prefer DVD and Blu-ray for exhibition. If the market is going all file based then that's great, but I still need happy clients.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]