FORUMS: list search recent posts

So there you have it

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Connor
So there you have it
on Jun 10, 2013 at 11:02:31 pm

So there is going to be a new MacPro, I know it hasn't pleased the cable and expansion box haters but at least it shows us what Apple's vision is going forward in the Professional space, does this mean that things are clearer for those who still haven't jumped ship from FCP7?

Steve Connor

There's nothing we can't argue about on the FCPX COW Forum

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
Re: So there you have it
on Jun 10, 2013 at 11:11:44 pm

[Steve Connor] "does this mean that things are clearer for those who still haven't jumped ship from FCP7?"

Not till I hear prices and options.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

Jamie Franklin
on Jun 10, 2013 at 11:34:56 pm

Yes, there you have it. Without getting specific on pricing, the fanboy mac mini generation are drooling over something they don't even need, and going further posting hostile nonsense about "haters" and sour grapes....oh wait, that's just you and Bill...

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jun 11, 2013 at 12:16:53 am

Uh,

Just to set the record straight, the first, like, 40 posts were all about how terrible all the new announcments are.

And you do understand that nobody outside a few truly "connected" folk like Grant at BMD had even a breath of experience with it IRL.

So I'm not sure how you define "hostile nonsense" - and who you think the "haters" are - but at least try to get the basic english language definitions sorted out.

If you want to hate on the "proposed" new R2D-X edit systems (couldn't resist, John was right, it DOES look a little like everybody's favorite robot since Robbie!) - go right ahead.

But please post some reasoning about why you think Apple has blown it. The vast majority of stuff I read this morning at first blush was woefully unimpressive. It seemed to be people trying desperately to be first to trash the specifications as if they had some clue about what this particular personal computer requires in order to do the tasks it appears to have been specifically designed to do.

Essentially, saying that if it's not THE fastest off the line, it's worthless.

But nobody takes a dragster to a road race. So why, exactly is 12 CPU cores not enough? And I don't really care if it's not optimal for my friend Phil's 3d work. Because hardly ANY editors I know do 3D work even remotely like what he does.

So the actual point is that without reasoning to back up the early invective - it's kinda just weak gas fouling everyone's space, IMO.

My 2 cents. Feel free to disagree.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Chris Jacek
on Jun 11, 2013 at 1:11:14 am

It does settle things for me. It confirms what I'd expected about Apple's plans for the future, and I am not included in those plans. As a former employee of the FCP team, and 25+ year obsessive Mac advocate, it pains me to switch.

But what this new MacPro say to me is that Apple will do whatever Apple wants, whether you like it or not. I know many of you will argue that this has always been the Apple and Steve Jobs philosophy, but I would strongly disagree.

Apple USED TO do whatever Apple wants, but the goal was always to win you over by making the coolest AND best product possible. Now I think they are trying to force the cool factor, en leiu of making the best stuff. They still make very good stuff, but it only made to optimize exactly what they want it to, in the workflow that they feel is best. In the past, they simply wanted to make the best product for ANY workflow.

This makes the "Mac Tax" too expensive. You used to be able to justify spending extra on a Mac, because it was better in just about every way for what you were doing. At least that was the case in the world of video. Now it only does a handful of things better than its PC equivalent, which costs quite a bit less.

Apple could prove me wrong by charging $1500 for this thing, but I won't be holding my breath.

Professor, Producer, Editor
and former Apple Employee

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Jun 11, 2013 at 1:51:19 am

[Chris Jacek] "It confirms what I'd expected about Apple's plans for the future, and I am not included in those plans."

What on earth are you doing that this new computer doesn't fit the bill?

-------------------------------------------------------------

~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Chris Jacek
on Jun 11, 2013 at 2:49:04 pm

[Charlie Austin] "[Chris Jacek] "It confirms what I'd expected about Apple's plans for the future, and I am not included in those plans."

What on earth are you doing that this new computer doesn't fit the bill?"

Using a workstation that does not require a bunch of tethered peripherals just to function as a nonlinear editing machine. The ability to put in a GPU that "I" feel is best for the job, not what "Apple" can get the best deal on. These should be the minimum demands from a user for a workstation. The closed architecture tells us everything we need to know about Apple's plans. "Apple knows best, and no other ideas are valid." This kind of corporate arrogance almost never results in the best product.

This not just a question of whether it is a good machine. It is a matter of corporate ethos. This is another in a long line if decisions that has eroded the Apple ethos.

Professor, Producer, Editor
and former Apple Employee

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jun 11, 2013 at 4:02:24 am

I was kinda hoping for a modular system that could be individually configured and/or grow as needs change or your pocketbook would allow.

But how exactly do these specs fall short or force anything on the end user?

I'm not saying your wrong. Educate me

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Camcorders: Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV30/40, Sony Z7U, VX2000, PD170; FCP 6 certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Rick Lang
on Jun 11, 2013 at 4:08:36 am

Like the old Power Mac G5, whose box general physical design lasted from October 2003 to (likely) October 2013, today Apple has shown the tube they expect to stay with another ten years. Today just 2 screaming GPUs and 12 CPU cores and unknown internal storage and memory and everything else pretty much dependent on just 6 Thunderbolt 2 connectors with some USB3s for good measure. It's a start and in time the tube may stay the sane but the internals won't. What is the speed if your current 16-lane cards. Do you really think TB 2 is the last version of TB? It might be the last to use copper but speeds are coming that meet or exceed the PCIe bus. You are entitled to feel chagrined losing those internal user-installed cards, but I hope you are not driven to despair!

Rick Lang

iMac 27” 2.8GHz i7 16GB

Return to posts index

Jamie Franklin
on Jun 11, 2013 at 1:26:56 am

[Bill Davis] "it's kinda just weak gas fouling everyone's space"

I have to hand it to you, that has to be the most ironic post I have ever read.

Irony is in the English language, but it's entertainment value is universal

Return to posts index

Paul Dickin
on Jun 11, 2013 at 9:16:36 am

Hi
It'll have a new name too: the new Mac Pro(wles) ;-)

"Maverick Prowles
Had Rumbling Bowels
That thunder(b)'d in the night.
It shook the edit-suite all around
And gave the folks a fright."

from Spike Milligan.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]