Grant Petty on the new MP
on Jun 10, 2013 at 9:54:19 pm

FWIW, from the CEO of Black Magic.

http://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=8898

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
Re: Grant Petty on the new MP
on Jun 10, 2013 at 10:07:14 pm

Appears to be the first report from somebody with actual access to a working New Mac Pro prototype testing it with actual working software.

What an odd situation upon which to base ones opinions... ; )

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Jim Giberti
on Jun 10, 2013 at 10:10:56 pm

I like everything I see so far.
I can't imagine it will have 8 GB of RAM soldered to the board, and price is still unknown but I'm betting this is a well thought out environment that's been in development along with FCPX for a while now.

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Jun 10, 2013 at 10:13:48 pm

That's a very positive report! Thanks for posting.

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director
Downtown Long Beach, California
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1680680/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Jun 10, 2013 at 10:32:43 pm

In looking at the current ATI product line there is nothing quite like what Apple is talking about here as far as horsepower - I'm assuming the graphics are also bleeding edge and meant to give us some future-proof comfort. Also, The ATI Fire line supports true 10bit output like Quadro so along with Thunderbolt 2 and HDMI 1.4 built in, we may finally have 10bit output with no additional I/O needed.

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director

Return to posts index

Erik Lindahl
on Jun 10, 2013 at 11:00:15 pm

From the given specs it sounds like two high end or even next-gen GPUs. Seems we're stuck with single CPU-systems though, no?

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Jun 10, 2013 at 11:16:42 pm

Yes but according to Walter - a new Xeon with up to 12 cores so still pretty powerful.

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director

Return to posts index

Jakub Vomacka
on Jun 10, 2013 at 11:46:10 pm

according to various info found on the net about gpu specifications and bandwidth, i think this is the card used: http://www.amd.com/US/PRODUCTS/WORKSTATION/GRAPHICS/ATI-FIREPRO-3D/W9000/Pa...

here is some more info: http://www.anandtech.com/show/6137/the-amd-firepro-w9000-w8000-review-part-...

basically its workstation version of 7970 with better specs and large amount of ram

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jun 11, 2013 at 1:05:59 am

[Lance Bachelder] "Also, The ATI Fire line supports true 10bit output like Quadro so along with Thunderbolt 2 and HDMI 1.4 built in, we may finally have 10bit output with no additional I/O needed."

Goodness, I hope so. The hardware for 10-bit displays has been available on the Mac platform for years, but Apple hasn't seen fit to support it in the OS. Maybe with 4K. That would sure be mavericky.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

chris gonzalez
on Jun 11, 2013 at 2:36:53 am

Just a note: the Core Technologies Overview doc for OS X Mavericks notes that the OS "has been tested to support up to 128GB of physical RAM on qualified Mac computers." I'm guessing this is a nod toward the RAM capabilities of the new Mac Pro...

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Jun 10, 2013 at 10:20:25 pm

he sounds rather keen? I mean doesn't it sound a bit savage? OK its got game console logic in that your buy degrades a bit over the lifecycle vs a rock your own PC build - but that thing does sound a little insane as a semi-ignorant?
plonk that on your desk and you're likely to be pretty happy for quite some time right?

(also - isn't it a little mad that the intro vid felt like a PS3/X unveiling or something? also the box design? It really does feel like a 'roided out creative pro console. It's definitely walled off in apple design language.)

bar that - at least it means that apple have built a brand new architecture for the pro going forward. an absolutely brand spanking new engineering base template for them to iterate from? surely people are happy about that given there was a freakout that they were going to potentially EOL pro hardware?

because lets be fair - that mentaller little black cylinder is in no f*#king way a consumer desktop.
like it or not so much - that is apple building purely for pros.

http://www.adobe2014.tumblr.com
#adobe2014

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Jun 10, 2013 at 10:39:28 pm

[Aindreas Gallagher] "OK its got game console logic in that your buy degrades a bit over the lifecycle vs a rock your own PC build"

A key difference of course being that all software and hardware is designed specifically for that game console. No one is going to optimize software to the point that it that only runs on a 2013 Mac Pro Tube.

Return to posts index

Dan Stewart
on Jun 10, 2013 at 11:11:06 pm

I'm hoping we will see some increased performance from the limited variations in the system- especially the GPU system. Cubix will still work -presumably- but the muscle that can be taken for granted has to be a major plus.

Return to posts index

Jim Wiseman
on Jun 10, 2013 at 11:38:40 pm

Apple will develop software, FCPX, Motion and Aperture come to mind, and so will others.

Jim Wiseman
Sony PMW-EX1,Pana AJ-D810 DVCPro, DVX-100, Nikon D7000, Final Cut Studio 2 and 3, Media 100 Suite 2.1.3, Premiere Pro 5.5 and 6.0, AJA ioHD, AJA Kona LHi, Avid MC, Hexacore MacPro 3.33 Ghz 24Gb RAM GTX-285 120GB SSD, Macbook Pro 17" 2011 2.2 Ghz Quadcore i7 8Gb SSD, G5 Quadcore PCIe

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Jun 10, 2013 at 11:51:07 pm

[Jim Wiseman] "Apple will develop software, FCPX, Motion and Aperture come to mind, and so will others."

Yes, but it won't be perfectly optimized for the 2013 Mac Pro Tube because said software will also have to run on dozens of other Macs with different hardware, firmware and OS versions.

That's my point about this *not* being like a video game console where the console is released once and for the next 5-10yrs all the software is designed specifically to run on that never-changing platform. Games actually get better over time as developers learn how to coax the most out of a console. I highly doubt that in 2018 there will be new software released that is optimized to run on a 2013 Mac Pro Tube the way games in 2018 will be optimized to run on the PS4 and Xbox One video game consoles.

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Jun 11, 2013 at 12:45:00 am

forget the game console line - I only mean it holds the same logic - it's not a cell processor like - its an industry offering - its not GPU dependent, its OpenCl dependent - you would just really feel that apple are re-asserting that kind of buying paradigm for Pro's.

that you can buy the pro equivalent of a PS3, a mac pro that now suddenly weirdly looks like some kind of PS3, and sit on it for a while given it has performance rabies at introduction.

that cylinder actually does look to have some deadly serious spec rabies - the question is how far it strays from two and a bit grand?

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Chris Kenny
on Jun 10, 2013 at 11:51:16 pm

[Andrew Kimery] "A key difference of course being that all software and hardware is designed specifically for that game console. No one is going to optimize software to the point that it that only runs on a 2013 Mac Pro Tube."

No to the point that it only runs on this machine, obviously, but certainly pro app developers will test quite a lot on these systems, and the consistency they'll bring for graphics, high-speed external disk I/O, etc. will mean more users running on systems more similar to those that developers are using. That does bring real benefits — it's always been one of the Mac's benefits in pro use cases, and this system extends that.

--
Digital Workflow/Colorist, Nice Dissolve.

You should follow me on Twitter here. Or read our blog.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Jun 10, 2013 at 11:53:39 pm

[Chris Kenny] "That does bring real benefits — it's always been one of the Mac's benefits in pro use cases, and this system extends that."

I agree that platform homogeny has been a benefit with Macs for a very long time which is why I don't understand why some people are touting it as new benefit today.

Return to posts index

Chris Kenny
on Jun 10, 2013 at 11:57:22 pm

This takes it further. The Mac has been much more homogenous than Windows, but at the level of, say, video workstations, RAID controllers, graphics, video I/O, etc. were all still variable. Now RAID will often just be Thunderbolt mass storage, and there's going to be one model of GPU (with some variants) to worry about every 12-18 months. (Video I/O is still going to require devices with third-party drivers, etc. I think, unless Apple has some unannounced plans for that HDMI port.)

--
Digital Workflow/Colorist, Nice Dissolve.

You should follow me on Twitter here. Or read our blog.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Jun 11, 2013 at 1:16:41 am

[Chris Kenny] "This takes it further. The Mac has been much more homogenous than Windows, but at the level of, say, video workstations, RAID controllers, graphics, video I/O, etc. were all still variable. Now RAID will often just be Thunderbolt mass storage, and there's going to be one model of GPU (with some variants) to worry about every 12-18 months. (Video I/O is still going to require devices with third-party drivers, etc. I think, unless Apple has some unannounced plans for that HDMI port.)"

Maybe I'm missing something but I don't see how it takes it significantly further when the software will still have to be generalized enough to run on a a variety of Macs running a variety of software, hardware, firmware, drivers and operating systems. Sure, I can see some vague optimizations like software will run better with ATI GPUs than NVIDIA (which was the case for Color and Motion in the past) but I don't see any software optimization remotely close to the level of a game for a video game console.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jun 10, 2013 at 11:58:56 pm

[Chris Kenny] "No to the point that it only runs on this machine, obviously, but certainly pro app developers will test quite a lot on these systems, and the consistency they'll bring for graphics, high-speed external disk I/O, etc. will mean more users running on systems more similar to those that developers are using. That does bring real benefits — it's always been one of the Mac's benefits in pro use cases, and this system extends that."

More important than that -- Apple is really pushing OpenCL with this system.

If a developer can exploit OpenCL with good and highly parallel code, then the performance of their app will scale as the users climb the Apple hardware ladder.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Rick Lang
on Jun 11, 2013 at 4:55:01 pm

Andrew, BMD have already indicated they are getting Resolve 10 tuned for the new Mac Pro via it's latest iteration of OpenCL. Of course Resolve will run on other systems, but it sounds like it may run best on the new Mac Pro.

Rick Lang

iMac 27” 2.8GHz i7 16GB

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jun 11, 2013 at 6:33:18 pm

[Rick Lang] "Andrew, BMD have already indicated they are getting Resolve 10 tuned for the new Mac Pro via it's latest iteration of OpenCL. Of course Resolve will run on other systems, but it sounds like it may run best on the new Mac Pro."

I think you're reading too much into the Grant Petty quote. I didn't get the sense that they are actually tuning Resolve for the new Mac Pro, but rather that the new Mac Pro has features that Resolve was already built to use.

Resolve is written to exploit multiple GPUs. Since the new Mac Pro will have multiple GPUs, it will run Resolve well.

A system with more GPU compute ability (better GPUs, more GPUs, or both) will run it better.

Of course, perhaps this could still be a Mac Pro with additional GPUs attached via Son of Thunderbolt, but it could also be, for example, a Windows box stuffed with NVIDIAs.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Rick Lang
on Jun 11, 2013 at 7:40:34 pm

Walter, you are right about the impact of the GPUs. You may be right I am reading too much into his comments but this is the quote from Grant that made me think the tuning to the latest OpenCL was important:
"there is a whole new OpenCL and DaVinci Resolve 10 has had a lot of performance work done to integrate it..."

Rick Lang

iMac 27” 2.8GHz i7 16GB

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Jun 11, 2013 at 8:20:35 pm

[Rick Lang] "Andrew, BMD have already indicated they are getting Resolve 10 tuned for the new Mac Pro via it's latest iteration of OpenCL. Of course Resolve will run on other systems, but it sounds like it may run best on the new Mac Pro."

Better than on a Linux box running 8 top end GPUs? I wouldn't be surprised if the new Mac Pro will run Resolve better than any other Mac, but Mac performance has always been weaker compared to Windows and Linux installs because of limited GPU options, hasn't it?

For an off-the-shelf solution the new Mac Pro might be the best option depending on price, of course, and It's possible that the Mac Pro Tube + Resolve/Resolve Lite represents the sweet spot of performance and accessibility. They won't be the most screaming fast machines, but screaming fast is already a niche w/in a niche.

Return to posts index

Rick Lang
on Jun 11, 2013 at 9:02:46 pm

Andrew, yes I meant Resolve 10 would run better on the Mac Pro Tube AMD FirePro with the latest OpenCL than any other Mac! Certainly it may not keep up with other platforms but as you suggest, it may be a good option nonetheless. Will be fascinating when the benchmarks appear in about four months.

Rick Lang

iMac 27” 2.8GHz i7 16GB

Return to posts index

Jim Giberti
on Jun 10, 2013 at 10:41:27 pm

I think that's the most salient point of the whole announcement - they've ended the "we pros have been been abandoned by Apple" line of thinking and created a whole new commitment . Personally and professionally I think it's great. I also think it was good to make the commitment to FCPX that we did.
I'm thinking it will all come together in this next year.

Professionally speaking.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jun 10, 2013 at 11:14:56 pm

[Jim Giberti] "I also think it was good to make the commitment to FCPX that we did."

I have to admit I feel exactly the same.

I couldn't be happier to be sitting here with a head full of practical FCP-X knowledge rather than looking in my personal rearview mirror and seeing 18 months more months traveling the deadened Legacy trail or having spent those months trying to re-craft my editing knowledge around a more traditional style software package.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Jun 10, 2013 at 11:20:57 pm

[Bill Davis] "I have to admit I feel exactly the same."

bill - god bless you - I think we all realise, that that was a difficult admission for you.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jun 10, 2013 at 11:43:46 pm

Glad you're joining in the global "X-rocks" celebration today, A!

After all, I know that if Apple had announced today that they were dropping X because they'd "lost" the pro editing community and just wanted to focus on making even more iPads (as many here have suggested at various times!) - you would be the first person to welcome me to the hall of tears for comfort and solace.

Today was a pretty great day for us FCP-X "investors."

Not all of our days will be as nice as this one. So I'm simply going to enjoy it.

And yes, I know this isn't the be all and end all of editing for EVER!

It's just what it is. The day Apple stood up and announced what looks to be superb new tools for guys exactly like me. The guys who just want fast tools that work well with excellent software at a price I can afford to pay and that let me concentrate more on my editing - than trying to be a editor/system integrator.

I know many here don't believe Apple "gets" them. But Apple "gets" editors like me in spades.

They proved it to me this morning.

I have to compete in the open market with my tools and abilities. After today - I can see another long stretch of years where I can face my competition and simply say "bring it." My competitors may toast me, but only because they're honestly better than me. And that's fair. At least it won't be because they have a better box or better software and I can't keep up.

Fair playing field.

Today was a good day.

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Jun 11, 2013 at 12:12:17 am

[Bill Davis] "Glad you're joining in the global "X-rocks" celebration today"

Good god please no - not that - that software is still effectively ridiculous.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 11, 2013 at 12:22:20 am

[Aindreas Gallagher] "ood god please no - not that - that software is still effectively ridiculous."

Only now it'll be blindingly fast ridiculous on this box. Kinda like that mutant alien that you can only see out of the corner of your eye the instant before you're disemboweled by it.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jun 11, 2013 at 12:25:53 am

[Craig Seeman] "Kinda like that mutant alien that you can only see out of the corner of your eye the instant before you're disemboweled by it."

OK, that made me laugh.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Jun 11, 2013 at 2:02:24 am

[Bill Davis] "I have to compete in the open market with my tools and abilities. After today - I can see another long stretch of years where I can face my competition and simply say "bring it.""

Yeah, I just did a project in X. No sweat...except for the stuff that's still broken/odd.

It's not that hard to learn. After all, how did the people who make the training learn it if it was?

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Jun 10, 2013 at 11:18:29 pm

[Jim Giberti] "I think that's the most salient point of the whole announcement - they've ended the "we pros have been been abandoned by Apple" line of thinking"

by some distance as far as it looks right? Ok I can't ram two 3.5 inch spinning hard drives, a Bluray burner, and GPU no. 3 in there - but apple do seem to be trying to cook the hardest madser base line specs out of it? And its a core template right?
Whatever else - that is a fully new Apple core hardware design template on the website - They don't do that every fortnight and they tend to iterate like crazy off that kind of move?

[Jim Giberti] " I also think it was good to make the commitment to FCPX that we did."

rather - if you're in it with X - that thing will likely stand you in good stead for a decently long, semi-playstation period of time?

Hardware and software and all that? X on that thing, when it gets demoed later this year -
- that has got to be a mortal lock to be a fairly jaw droppingly surreal performance demo.

nothing wrong with populist, well advertised, powerful computing - more users means cheaper boxes right?

http://www.adobe2014.tumblr.com
#adobe2014

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Jun 10, 2013 at 11:10:47 pm

[Aindreas Gallagher] "that is apple building purely for pros."

But for which pros? There is apparently a cutoff point beyond which they do not care to go. Another trade off of walled-in simplicity for higher end power. I think the market targeting of their new "high-end" work station goes hand in hand with their marketing of X - we will go this far and no further: abandon all hope of Tesla ye who enters here.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Jun 10, 2013 at 11:18:38 pm

[Herb Sevush] "But for which pros? There is apparently a cutoff point beyond which they do not care to go. Another trade off of walled-in simplicity for higher end power. I think the market targeting of their new "high-end" work station goes hand in hand with their marketing of X - we will go this far and no further: abandon all hope of Tesla ye who enters here."

Hasn't that always been the case though Herb? Things like FCP Legend and DVD Studio Pro helped bring editing and DVD authoring away from propriety hardware systems onto off the shelf desktop computers. Users traded performance for affordable pricing. Same with Color of just a few years ago (or even Resolve running on a standard Mac today). Is Apple changing its standars or have some users, over time, moved beyond what Apple likes to offer?

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Jun 11, 2013 at 4:55:45 am

[Andrew Kimery] "Is Apple changing its standars or have some users, over time, moved beyond what Apple likes to offer?"

I like what I like, sometimes Apple has something that fits, sometimes they don't - it has nothing to do with moving beyond, it's always been that way for me.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Jun 10, 2013 at 11:24:36 pm

I think 2 6GB GPU's with over 4,000 cores rivals an overpriced Tesla system?

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jun 10, 2013 at 11:25:15 pm

[Herb Sevush] "But for which pros? There is apparently a cutoff point beyond which they do not care to go. "

Herb,

Look, if you need to run a Caterpiller 994 D - You will have solutions as long as enough people need that to make it a viable business.

But most people DON'T need that class of machine. At ALL.

So you're right. There IS a cuttoff point.

The new MacPro announced today dramatically extends the class of editors that the Mac will be able to accommodate in the future- but not ALL of them. The question is, how many are left unserved by Apple's new announcement.?

It's a shrinking group that contracted a whole bunch today.

But it's certainly not zero.

Hopefully, the engineers at Premier and Avid will continue to serve the needs of the upper edge as well as those who can't or won't adapt to the Apple vision.

But the Apple vision got a LOT clearer today. And for many of us, it revealed a lovely landscape with some beautiful scenery ahead.

I'm going to enjoy it for a while and not worry about what might be over the third set of mountains in the far, far distance.

Return to posts index

Sandeep Sajeev
on Jun 10, 2013 at 11:45:23 pm

Herb,

Can you expand on why you feel this MacPro isn't going to work for you? I seem to remember from one of your posts way back that the main issue that you had with FCPX was the lack of Timecode overlays and Sync Markers, but i also remember thinking that the whole Multicam implementation would really be beneficial for your workflow. I cannot imagine that those 2 issues won't be fixed in the next number release - especially since the new MacPro seems to be far more focused than the iMac.

I ask because I just realized that the Julia Child show was yours, and as it was one of my mothers favorite shows, I saw a LOT of episodes growing up :)

Best,
Sandeep.

Return to posts index

larry towers
on Jun 11, 2013 at 12:19:19 am

The New Macpro looks great. TODAY. With no expansion running at anywhere near internal bus speeds it is not a longterm investment choice. Let's hope they are cheap.

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Jun 11, 2013 at 12:45:03 am

What expansion do you need? The graphics are far more powerful than just about anything on the market today and SIX Thunderbolt 2 ports will eliminate any bottleneck one might have - you can put a RedRocket on one, a RAID on another and I/O on another with massive bandwidth to each device. AJA and BMD both make Thunderbolt I/O today and you know they're gonna have 4K I/O soon. Heck you can run a 4K client monitor via the HDMI 1.4 port on the Mac Pro so no I/O needed?

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director

Return to posts index

Jamie Franklin
on Jun 11, 2013 at 1:21:43 am

[Lance Bachelder] "What expansion do you need?"

The question could also be, what is the cost to upgrade my existing infrastructure..?

How much to I/O my rocket? How much to I/O my AJA or decklink? How much for my fibre? Do I outfit ANOTHER rig with ANOTHER power supply.

This is the future? Odd place to go. Kinda just pushes one to PC...

It appears the added cost is an issue for expansion on an otherwise expensive (??) empty parking space. For the right price this would be something...

But, wait what...? Wasn't the appeal to the Mac Pro the customization. Maybe that's why it looks like a garbage pail, you can toss all the expansion daisy chained I/O you need in it?

Return to posts index

Rick Lang
on Jun 11, 2013 at 5:16:07 pm

BMD is certainly stepping up to 4K beginning with content creation in 4K on the BMPC4K camera due to ship in a month or so. That includes 6G SDI 10bit one a single port. Several of their other products have been revealed to already include support for 4K or have recently been announced to offer 4K. I think in the next year or less, several of the key suppliers of video gear will ensure they have their devices handle 4K either through 6G SDI or TB2, I just read the other post that indicates Apple may finally be supporting 10bit natively so that is very good news too. Ten years is a very long time for an architecture, but I believe Apple will stay with their Tube for ten years while continually improving the performance of the guts and interfaces (and likely new calibrated 10bit retina monitors) while third parties feast on providing the plethora of external gear.

Rick Lang

iMac 27” 2.8GHz i7 16GB

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jun 11, 2013 at 6:41:47 pm

[Rick Lang] "I just read the other post that indicates Apple may finally be supporting 10bit natively so that is very good news too."

This is how rumors get started!

Lance and I were hoping for 10-bit support in another thread, but if I had been holding my breath for it, I would have passed out years ago.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jun 11, 2013 at 1:01:38 am

Sure this is for professionals. What a silly argument it has been to say Apple doesn't care about professionals. Lots of iDevices are used by professionals every day. Clearly this isn't for all professionals as needs vary.

Personally I think it is potentially limited for many pros but then hasn't the MacPro always only gone so far. If Grant is happy with Resolve running on a prototype then for many it is a suitable machine for professional work, particularly if you are running X.

Weird shape, but all my machines are in a machine room so no-one will see it. Will it outperform a box that I can make for less money? Probably not but not everyone wants to build their own grunt box. Will I be able to get better performance with Resolve on my rack mount Win 7 boxes? I should think so. Do I need FCPX in my post finish workflow? So far still no. I am happy for the FCPX editors that a more serious box is going to be available. I don't think I need it to run my Legacy system and until demand for Legacy stops, my 2009 MacPro is suitable.

This pretty much is what Craig has been guessing at for a while so no real surprises and well guessed sir. I sense huge relief from many that there is a serious bit of kit coming from Apple after three years but shouldn't we wait for the benchmarks and price tags?

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Jun 11, 2013 at 1:54:51 am

[Sandeep Sajeev] "Can you expand on why you feel this MacPro isn't going to work for you?"

I have no idea yet whether this will work for me or not. I won't know till I see prices and configurations. It is not the machine I wish they had designed, however it's much better than the MacPro I currently have. I'm very used to not getting what I want and then working with what's left, so I wouldn't be surprised to find me owning one of these and cutting with X if it's the best choice by next spring. I'll be pissing and moaning the whole way, but then I always have.

[Sandeep Sajeev] " I seem to remember from one of your posts way back that the main issue that you had with FCPX was the lack of Timecode overlays and Sync Markers, but i also remember thinking that the whole Multicam implementation would really be beneficial for your workflow. I cannot imagine that those 2 issues won't be fixed in the next number release - especially since the new MacPro seems to be far more focused than the iMac."

As far as I can tell FCPX has the best multicam implementation available at the moment. On the other hand I'm not as sure as you that X will ever come up with Sync Markers and a suitable Timecode overlay system because it flies in the face of their overall concept of what editing should be - part of which is the whole notion of keeping your audio connected to your video so that newbies won't loose sync. It's something I can work around; again, few systems are perfect - I never thought Legacy was, that's for sure. It was simply the best available at the time.

[Sandeep Sajeev] " I just realized that the Julia Child show was yours, and as it was one of my mothers favorite shows, I saw a LOT of episodes growing up :)"

I only worked on the later Julia Child shows from the '90s, grey as I am I was not working on the original shows back in the 60's and 70's. It was one of my life's great pleasures to work with her when I did, and I'm glad your mother enjoy'ed them.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Jun 11, 2013 at 12:28:17 am

[Herb Sevush] " There is apparently a cutoff point beyond which they do not care to go. Another trade off of walled-in simplicity for higher end power. I think the market targeting of their new "high-end" work station goes hand in hand with their marketing of X - we will go this far and no further: abandon all hope of Tesla ye who enters here."

yes - still at least this is just honest to god new hardware?

and... OMFG? 12GB GPU something?
1250MB/s storage performance?

the point is I'm a moron. I run out old hardware for years and I'm never going to buy this anyway. They do seem to be adhering to playstation blowout 'roided logic though.

and they did actually physically build entirely new architecture. And they have stamped it built in the USA. you can't pull that effort back in a hurry.
whatever else - at least its not another ipad?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]