FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mac Pro GPU/Memory/CPU/etc Expandability

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jacob Brown
Mac Pro GPU/Memory/CPU/etc Expandability
on Jun 10, 2013 at 8:59:30 pm

Why does everyone assume that none of these things are expandable/changeable?

If you look at http://www.apple.com/mac-pro/ there is a very prominent "unlock" button that allows the chases to open and slide off.

It's definitely not a sealed case. And why leave it unsealed unless owners have a reason to open it.

Everything seems to be attached and held in with screws. The animation actually shows the memory units sliding in and out.

Am I wrong?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Mac Pro GPU/Memory/CPU/etc Expandability
on Jun 10, 2013 at 9:01:22 pm

No. From the drawings it looks like at least RAM and perhaps PCIe storage is replaceable.

Not sure of what else will be, though.

Return to posts index

Chris Jacek
on Jun 10, 2013 at 9:06:05 pm

Didn't the keynote specifically state that it was only expandable externally?

Professor, Producer, Editor
and former Apple Employee

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Jun 10, 2013 at 9:07:33 pm

No it didn't say ONLY. If you watch the animation the RAM is clearly upgradeable at least

Steve Connor

There's nothing we can't argue about on the FCPX COW Forum

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 10, 2013 at 9:07:59 pm

Expandable is different than upgradable.

Return to posts index

David Cherniack
on Jun 10, 2013 at 9:07:51 pm

Looks like ram and flash drive are replaceable. CPU and GPUs face inwards so unlikely.

David
http://AllinOneFilms.com

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Jun 10, 2013 at 9:14:13 pm

I love it - probably the most powerful workstation to date, at least twice as powerful as anything any of us have ever used (unless you're running a 12 core tower with dual K6000's) and everyone is worried about upgrading. This thing is a beast, what could anyone possibly do to upgrade it? There's nothing currently on the market that could make it any better/faster...

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director
Downtown Long Beach, California
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1680680/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

Return to posts index

Clint Wardlow
on Jun 10, 2013 at 9:20:36 pm

[Lance Bachelder] "I love it - probably the most powerful workstation to date, at least twice as powerful as anything any of us have ever used (unless you're running a 12 core tower with dual K6000's) and everyone is worried about upgrading."

Hey, I like to save a few bucks not maxing out the ram through Apple, but buying from Crucial.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Jun 10, 2013 at 9:21:44 pm

[Clint Wardlow] "Hey, I like to save a few bucks not maxing out the ram through Apple, but buying from Crucial."

Looks like you'll be able to do that...

-------------------------------------------------------------

~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Clint Wardlow
on Jun 10, 2013 at 9:32:23 pm

[Charlie Austin] "Looks like you'll be able to do that..."

And that makes me happy.

I have to admit when I first heard "expandable only through Thunderbolt" I was a bit worried that it would be like the mac book pro retina, with ram attached to the motherboard.

For my needs, the new mac pro looks like it might be pretty rocking.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Jun 10, 2013 at 9:23:00 pm

[Lance Bachelder] "I love it - probably the most powerful workstation to date, at least twice as powerful as anything any of us have ever used (unless you're running a 12 core tower with dual K6000's) and everyone is worried about upgrading. This thing is a beast, what could anyone possibly do to upgrade it? There's nothing currently on the market that could make it any better/faster..."

There isn't? It's using the fastest possible CPU? The fastest possible GPUs? Will they be the fastest next year? The year after that? Yes, this kills the 2010-era Mac Pros that Apple is currently selling but that's not saying much. I'm sure there are people that need more power today than what the new Mac Pro offers (like Resolve users that have 3 or more GPUs in their rigs) and I'm sure in 12 months that number will increase. And in 24 months the number will be even bigger.

The machine is a lot of power in a very small space but it's certainly not the end all, be all of machines.

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Jun 10, 2013 at 9:36:18 pm

Who said it is the end all, be all? Just hilarious all the complaints yet I'll bet no one is running anything close to this in their workplace/home.

How powerful or expandable does a machine need to be? And if all you whiners really want/need lots of slots and upgradeability then just switch to a PC... simple. With a Windows machine you'll always have first access to the latest and fastest graphics cards, memory etc. You can run Resolve, Premiere, Avid, Pro Tools, Vegas etc etc and never need to come to this forum again since you'll never be running FCPX... :)

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Jun 10, 2013 at 9:40:55 pm

[Lance Bachelder] " Just hilarious all the complaints yet I'll bet no one is running anything close to this in their workplace/home. "

Okay, so you are strictly speaking to people that only use Macs. In that case, I agree that no one is using anything close to this right now. That doesn't mean that people don't want upgradability options especially since Apple hasn't exactly been johnny on the spot w/upgrades to the Mac Pro this last half decade.

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Jun 10, 2013 at 9:54:09 pm

I already answered this is another thread but yes - this is a new Mac and this is an Apple FCPX forum so I'm comparing Apples to Apples.

I use both Macs and PC's daily and build my own Windows workstations and fully understand trying to future proof with upgrades etc. It's easy to walk into a Fry's and take home the latest graphics card and throw it in my PC - never been easy with Macs. That said I love my new iMac and the simplicity of nice clean USB and Thunderbolt ports not to mention no noise and no heat! I look forward to a new Mac Pro when they're available.

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Jun 10, 2013 at 9:56:22 pm

[Lance Bachelder] " I look forward to a new Mac Pro when they're available."

It's going to be a long 6 months!

Steve Connor

There's nothing we can't argue about on the FCPX COW Forum

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Jun 10, 2013 at 10:02:47 pm

That's why I splurged on the top of the line iMac a few months ago - makes the wait a little easier :) Speaking of which, I'm looking forward to Mavericks just as much as the new Mac - the Multiple Display and Tags updates alone are fantastic... jeez I'm sounding like an Apple fanboy, better stop by the Microsoft store later.

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 10, 2013 at 10:17:45 pm

[Lance Bachelder] "That's why I splurged on the top of the line iMac a few months ago - makes the wait a little easier :) Speaking of which, I'm looking forward to Mavericks just as much as the new Mac - the Multiple Display and Tags updates alone are fantastic... jeez I'm sounding like an Apple fanboy, better stop by the Microsoft store later."

Not only that, iOS7 looked pretty incredible.

We like what we like.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 10, 2013 at 9:25:04 pm

[Lance Bachelder] "There's nothing currently on the market "

But two years from now when I want to upgrade the GPU....

... unless Apple's thinking is that the next step in TB will be out and I'll just want to buy a new MacPro.

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Jun 10, 2013 at 9:41:55 pm

Upgrade to what? If you max out your BTO MacPro you'll have 4,000 cores for graphics and be able to run dual 4K displays! (we now know a 4K Cinema Display is right around the corner)

I can't imagine this thing only having a 2 year work life - I still have a 2.1 (2007) that I can edit on no prob if need be.

Come on, If you really need something better/faster in 2 years that means you're very busy doing uber high-end work and can afford a passle of the latest and greatest iteration any time you like.

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 10, 2013 at 10:03:30 pm

[Lance Bachelder] "I can't imagine this thing only having a 2 year work life - I still have a 2.1 (2007) that I can edit on no prob if need be. "

I had to upgrade the GPU in my 2008 MacPro in 2011 to run FCPX (not that FCPX was complete yet).
I think hardware is advancing faster than it used to and the software demands are likely to keep pace, especially any software from Apple. A lot can happen in two years.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jun 10, 2013 at 9:34:59 pm

[Lance Bachelder] "I love it - probably the most powerful workstation to date, at least twice as powerful as anything any of us have ever used (unless you're running a 12 core tower with dual K6000's) and everyone is worried about upgrading. This thing is a beast, what could anyone possibly do to upgrade it? There's nothing currently on the market that could make it any better/faster..."

This is no doubt a powerful computer, and no doubt an improvement over the very dated previous-generation Mac Pro, but it is demonstrably not the most powerful workstation to date. You could stick two GPUs in a PC with a dual-socket motherboard and have a vastly more powerful system. Heck, you stick four GPUs in there.

Apple has has no sustainable hardware advantage with the new Mac Pro over other manufacturers, any of which can and occasionally do put more of these same components in their systems. The new Mac Pro may have sustainable software advantages if Apple standardizes on this design as a platform and provides good tools to developers to exploit it with Mac OS.

I agree with you that this is probably a great upgrade for a lot of Mac Pro users here, but I disagree on the hype: there are compromises in this (as in any) design.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Kevin Christopher
on Jun 10, 2013 at 9:38:33 pm

Yeah it will look pretty cool with all those rectangular expansion boxes hanging off of it to put my red rocket and Kona card in. Makes racking them in the machine room a nightmare.

Kevin

Return to posts index

larry towers
on Jun 10, 2013 at 10:05:32 pm

You haven't used many computers if you think this is a beast. The numbers they are comparing it to are the current ENTRY LEVEL SINGLE PROCESSOR MAC PROS not dual 12 core systems!

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Jun 10, 2013 at 9:18:22 pm

[David Cherniack] "CPU and GPUs face inwards so unlikely."

Why? Unscrew it, take it out, put in a new one.

-------------------------------------------------------------

~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
on Jun 10, 2013 at 9:25:05 pm

[Charlie Austin] "[David Cherniack] "CPU and GPUs face inwards so unlikely."

Why? Unscrew it, take it out, put in a new one."

They may connect to the heatsink like a CPU does, with a layer of paste. In that case it would be a bit more complicated.

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Check out my Mormon.org profile.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 10, 2013 at 9:30:38 pm

[Jason Jenkins] "They may connect to the heatsink like a CPU does, with a layer of paste. In that case it would be a bit more complicated."

One thought is that not being "user" upgradable doesn't mean not upgradable. Imagine having to buy an "official" Apple approved GPU and take it in to an Apple store (or ship it) to get upgraded... and imagine the cost or Apple encouraging you to buy Mac Pro Apple Care for that. Imagine having to pay for Apple Care annually for that service... and they have another revenue stream.

Return to posts index

Jacob Brown
on Jun 10, 2013 at 9:32:24 pm

i think having a highly engineered machine with innovative cooling system get serviced at the store might be an advantage to many people

Return to posts index

David Cherniack
on Jun 10, 2013 at 9:33:20 pm

[Charlie Austin] "Why? Unscrew it, take it out, put in a new one."

You're assuming they're socketed. Possibly the CPU, I'd not be too sure about the GPUs.

David
http://AllinOneFilms.com

Return to posts index

Ty Vann
on Jun 10, 2013 at 9:25:49 pm

No whining from me. Power plus design. I like it. I'm going to order the minute this beast becomes available. Been waiting for it TOO long. FCPX is going to scream on this thing, leaving you stragglers in the dust.

Return to posts index

larry towers
on Jun 10, 2013 at 11:53:41 pm

You assume the stragglers won't be running on something better

Return to posts index

Chris Lehmann
on Jun 11, 2013 at 5:31:30 pm

> You assume the stragglers won't be running on something better

They won't be running FCPX on anything better.

Return to posts index

larry towers
on Jun 11, 2013 at 5:40:32 pm

You assume they won't be running something else on something better!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]