FORUMS: list search recent posts

Worthwhile Discussion of Mac Pro's Future

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew Richards
Worthwhile Discussion of Mac Pro's Future
on Jun 7, 2013 at 3:35:57 pm

Check out this week's episode of Accidental Tech Podcast for a nice discussion of where the Mac Pro might be going from some of its most passionate devotees; Marco Arment (employee #1 at Tumblr and creator of Instapaper), John Siracusa (Ars Technica's reviewer of every version of OS X and tech curmudgeon), and Casey Liss (iOS and Windows C# developer).

The Mac Pro segment starts around 51:15, but the whole thing is a good listen.

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
Re: Worthwhile Discussion of Mac Pro's Future
on Jun 7, 2013 at 4:00:19 pm

Agreed. These guys are great to listen to, even on topics I'm only marginally interested in.

Their MacPro discussion covers a lot of ground. Why it's taken this long? What it could be? Why Apple is investing the time? I caught this part of the ep live and can't wait to hear the rest as I toil away on motion graphics.

Read Marco Arments recent blog post as a primer for his most recent thoughts-

http://www.marco.org/2013/06/05/future-mac-pro-rumor

This was in response to the recent "really different" report from REDUSER.net. MacRumors tried to tie together that with the Facebook rumour of a locked down machine from a few posts down- but to me the two reports are fairly contradictory on a basic level.

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Jun 7, 2013 at 5:37:40 pm

Thanks for the link Andrew, great discussion. Apparently Thunderbolt is not a magical answer to everyone's prayers, it's just a connector with bandwidth limitations that still has to obey the rules of physics. Oh well.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Jun 7, 2013 at 8:30:21 pm

Indeed. It's been really frustrating to see not just people but news sites get this stuff wrong.

Thunderbolt holds a lot of promise. It's already maddening for me to have to copy large amounts of camera files from anything else. And I think we're going to see TB2 as one of the key pieces to the 4K/retina desktop solution for Mac. But the "modular machine" people think is an option today just isn't possible. Invariably it will be, and probably not TOO long from now. But not today.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jun 8, 2013 at 12:40:09 am

I blame the naming. Thunderbolt conjures images of Nordic gods with magic abilities. It is just a pipe not a magic hammer.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 8, 2013 at 3:09:26 am

[Marcus Moore] "Invariably it will be, and probably not TOO long from now. But not today."

Challenge: http://mediapros.co.uk/portfolio-view/thunderbolterizer/

Return to posts index

Nicholas Zimmerman
on Jun 8, 2013 at 6:46:28 am

I think this proves it isn't ready. A card that expensive isn't really worth much when it only runs at 1/4 speed.

Shoot sh*t, Edit sh*t

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 8, 2013 at 12:21:16 pm

It's a proof of concept.

You can get a cheap macmini and trick it out like never before.

4x is better than 0x.

Return to posts index

Nicholas Zimmerman
on Jun 8, 2013 at 5:59:15 pm

I do love my Mac Mini. I can see the use for this in a ton of things, just not GPUs yet. As a proof of concept it has me intrigued for sure.

--------------------------
Avid MC, PPro CS6, FCP7 - wasting away on my SSD.
I just can't quit X.
--------------------------

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 8, 2013 at 8:55:05 pm

Here's a guy who actually has it running:

http://www.coreyrobson.com/post/52451664259/thunderbolt-gpu-is-alive-and-mo...

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Erik Lindahl
on Jun 9, 2013 at 11:34:37 am

I do find their discussion regarding the Retina MacBook Pro a bit... Confusing. Seeing they are I'd think quite "qualified" a discussing these things I find it odd they praise a machine with-out a dedicated GPU. Fine, for some even the integrated HD4000 / 4600 might do but with retina resolutions even 2D-graphics are an issue. Later they go in and talk about a possible 4K desktop-screen but hesitate as they might not be suited for the MacBook Pro's GPU...

To sum it up they want high res, high performance with out the need of a dedicated GPU which today isn't happening. Even the top of the line "Iris" GPU Is beaten by the 18 months old GTX 650M. I really hope Apple doesn't nuter this machine in this fashion.

Regarding the MacPro they don't really bring up that much news given it's quite a sane discussion.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]