FORUMS: list search recent posts

Since everyone here is old and grumpy...

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Charlie Austin
Since everyone here is old and grumpy...
on Jun 6, 2013 at 4:20:44 am

I thought this would bring a smile to all. :-) I present to you, Google as it would have been seen in the 80's ...

http://www.masswerk.at/googleBBS/

There's some really fun stuff on their site, including the best 404 page on the internet.

Enjoy. No magnetism, no subscriptions, just a waste of time. :-)

-------------------------------------------------------------

~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

David Mathis
Re: Since everyone here is old and grumpy...
on Jun 6, 2013 at 5:46:30 am

Thanks for the post. Wondering what Final Cut Pro X would have looked like back then.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Jun 6, 2013 at 5:48:57 am

[David Mathis] "Wondering what Final Cut Pro X would have looked like back then."

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jun 7, 2013 at 1:00:21 am

C'mon Charlie two inch is so 70s. Look at the brown flared pants and body shirt. I was in broadcast in 1976 and saw my first one inch Sony machine by 1978. Two inch was doomed and one inch ruled the 80s & 90s.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Jun 7, 2013 at 1:18:29 am

[Michael Gissing] "C'mon Charlie two inch is so 70s. Look at the brown flared pants and body shirt. I was in broadcast in 1976 and saw my first one inch Sony machine by 1978. Two inch was doomed and one inch ruled the 80s & 90s.
"

:-) Yeah, i guess I just liked the picture. We were still getting stuff on 2" in the early 90's though, but not much. Hell we randomly got tracks in for mixes on Mag (35 and 16!) 'til maybe 95 or so. Fun times. ;-)

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Jun 6, 2013 at 5:59:31 am

[David Mathis] "Thanks for the post. Wondering what Final Cut Pro X would have looked like back then."

Editdroid circa 1984. Not pictured is the desktop computer and bank of LaserDiscs that held the media.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Jun 6, 2013 at 6:07:25 am

[Andrew Kimery] "Editdroid circa 1984. Not pictured is the desktop computer and bank of LaserDiscs that held the media."

I'm thinking more like this. ;-)

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Jun 6, 2013 at 6:34:59 am

heh, for the real oldsters, they have this:

http://www.masswerk.at/google60/

complete with interminable wait. :-)

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Jun 6, 2013 at 6:37:09 pm

[Charlie Austin] " including the best 404 page on the internet."

Awwww...... "Space Invaders".... I'm going to go sit in the corner with a lump in my throat for a while.

Anyway. Been trying to figure out how and why this forum has managed to persist for 26 months now.

It must be the human compulsive disorder that stems from "cognitive dissonance".
Read the entry on Wiki, especially the sections on "Belief Disconfirmation", "Induced Compliance", and the "Free Choice/Effort Justification" paradigms. Yes, another internet psychiatric diagnosis, but a lot of it seems pretty familiar. Especially the passages related to financial rewards for those who choose to continue and/or promulgate an idea they know to be false. This actually stems from a related search I was doing to find out more about partisan politics and the IRS.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 6, 2013 at 7:03:32 pm

that's it

"In other words, the cognition, "I chose X" is dissonant with the cognition, "There are some things I like about Y." More recent research has found similar results in four-year-old children and capuchin monkeys."

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jun 6, 2013 at 7:38:42 pm

Or perhaps it's way more "brain stem" than all that clever post analysis.

Fight or flight gives way to risk vs reward.

The subset of the population who is hungry to go outside the castle Keep in search of new experiences - verses those who prefer to stay within the comforting walls to refine and guard their accumulated horde.
Takes both types to move the world forward, IMO.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Jun 6, 2013 at 9:42:39 pm

I know I'm going to regret typing this, but, why does everything have to boil down to a binary, black vs white, you are either in camp A or camp B statement, Bill?

I assume you place yourself in the "hungry for new experience" pile so when will you ditch FCPX for Avid MC, Premiere Pro, Lightworks, Smoke or even DaVinci if BM continues to give it editing capabilities? I mean, your plan isn't just to move from the comforting walls of FCP Legend to the comforting walls of FCPX is it? ;)

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jun 6, 2013 at 10:12:42 pm

[Andrew Kimery] "I know I'm going to regret typing this, but, why does everything have to boil down to a binary, black vs white, you are either in camp A or camp B statement, Bill?

I assume you place yourself in the "hungry for new experience" pile so when will you ditch FCPX for Avid MC, Premiere Pro, Lightworks, Smoke or even DaVinci if BM continues to give it editing capabilities? I mean, your plan isn't just to move from the comforting walls of FCP Legend to the comforting walls of FCPX is it? ;)"

(Grin) Fair response.

First, to your initial point, it certainly doesn't. I LOVE grey.

But for many long months this forum was loaded up daily with defensiveness centered around "why did evil Apple have to so radically change the tool I love" posts. So I've just found it fun to espouse my firmly held contention that there were *excellent* reasons for them to do just that.

And like it or not, a huge part of that was the small C "conservatism" of wanting to hold onto the processes of the past that were and are still valuable.

As much as I try to keep my eye on changing trends, I hardly change at the drop of a hat. I edited on tape for about 8 years. On FCP Legacy for 12 years. And now I've been on X for nearly 2. Not exactly a history of chasing the new stuff.

What I am proud of is that when fundamental changes come along, particular changes that provide an enhanced value proposition via technology allowing me to offer my clients better quality at better prices, I tend to dive into that stuff whole hog.

X was one of those watershed moments for me. I argued VERY early here about how the new database approach might be transformative. And about how an NLE like X with a back-end geared more to internet sharing instead of tape might be a smart play for where the industry is going.

I still feel that way.

It's NEVER black and white. But when you truly believe that a new dawn is starting to reveal something very bright on the horizon, it's OK to start talking about whether equipping yourself with sunglasses might be in order.

FWIW.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Jun 7, 2013 at 5:01:49 pm

[Bill Davis] "What I am proud of is that when fundamental changes come along, particular changes that provide an enhanced value proposition via technology allowing me to offer my clients better quality at better prices, I tend to dive into that stuff whole hog."

And I think just about everyone that's been successful over the long term has always had to re-think how best to serve their clients. We are all in different places though and see different sunrises so what might be a fiery sunrise in your neck of the woods might just be an overcast 'June Gloom' morning where I'm at.

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Jun 6, 2013 at 7:48:58 pm

seriously - if you want to cheer someone up - give them a cronut.

Just look at that thing. Would someone please send me a cronut?

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Bob Woodhead
on Jun 7, 2013 at 12:07:43 pm

THIS is why I miss working in Manhattan.

Well, and all the pretty women too.

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on Jun 7, 2013 at 2:23:52 pm

I personally wouldn't eat anything made from a crow's testicals...

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
on Jun 7, 2013 at 6:06:33 pm

I'm really not that grumpy...

Tim

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]