Questions on target audience of this app

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Victoria Cichy
Questions on target audience of this app
on Jun 24, 2011 at 5:27:57 pm

This is my first post on creative cow.
I've been using FCP since version 1.

I believe this application is making assumptions about how people are going to work and consume content in the future.

For instance, I made a 12 webisode series using FCP 7, with 1 DVCPRO HD P2 camera, and two flip camera given to students. Its not technically perfect in any way and it is not meant for broadcast.

It was meant to have the look and feel of an informal, student video, but a whole heck of a lot of stuff went on to make even that happen. It was only released via web streaming and the web is the target market. Students used flip cameras to shoot a lot of footage that I later edited.

Below is link to one of the webisodes as an example of the production for reference:

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/MM5d0dE9rQg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen="allowfullscreen"></iframe>

I could not have done this without some of the finer control of FCP 7.

I used DVD Studio Pro to send out copies for review to multiple people, and needed a menu system to do that. Believe it or not, people still request DVDs continually, because networks can be unreliable, and not all computers can play video content at a moment's notice, not if the right software is not installed.

I needed to do a lot with the flip camera footage to clean up the sound problems. I used SoundTrack Pro to do that and to mix the sound for the various tracks.

I logged and reviewed a lot of footage and set up sequences and bins to create multiple timelines that I later edited down to the most important sequences. I set target times for the sequence's length.

I used Color to bring some cohesiveness to the various cameras and improve some of the footage that wasn't shot very well. (not well, I know.)

I used Motion to make the motion graphics.

When I was done with the project, I reset the scratch discs for the next project, so when I moved the finished project from one RAID share to another, nothing would be lost or out of sync, and it did not affect the next project.

Even for a web released project, where some of the NTSC and broadcast technical details can be ignored, there are a lot of things that Final Cut Pro 7 was able to help with and it would never have been able to be completed in iMovie. That was not even considered an option.

Having control of some of the finer points to create a look, feel and SOUND for this project makes a big difference in how watchable it is.

Based on what I have read, watched and seen so far about this new version of iMovie, it would be difficult to complete even a web-output project like this in the software. Am I incorrect?

p.s. I do have a BA in Film/Video, so I don't really quality as amateur, even though I don't work in broadcast.

Return to posts index

Adam McCune
Re: Questions on target audience of this app
on Jun 24, 2011 at 6:23:15 pm

Actually, I think that is exactly the kind of thing Apple is hoping happens. This software may not be intended for "Hollywood" or big production houses, but more like the kind of web-based projects your talking about.

Would your workflow have to change in response to this new software? Yes, absolutely...but I think it might even speed up the process.

Writer/Radio host/Community Media Advocate

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]