FORUMS: list search recent posts

Another FCPX Feature Request

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lance Bachelder
Another FCPX Feature Request
on Jun 5, 2013 at 4:43:59 pm

This one is so basic and hard to believe it's not been fixed in one of the 8 updates Apple has released:

When re-linking files, X needs to be able to index and search entire volumes including folders and subfolders. Currently you must manually navigate to the requested folder and then it will search that folder. This is such a pain and not "pro" at all. Sony Vegas has always had the best indexing and searching function - it will search and index every single file on a drive no matter how far it has to drill down and give you a list of matching names and it does it lightning fast.

It would be nice to just point to a volume where you know your files exist and let FCPX find all the files on that volume no matter how they are structured. This would make sharing jobs much easier too.

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director
Downtown Long Beach, California
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1680680/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Another FCPX Feature Request
on Jun 5, 2013 at 6:18:28 pm

You can drag a folder from the Finder to the Event icon in FCPX.

You should get a little bent arrow when doing so, otherwise, you will get a green plus sign.

A bent arrow will reference any connected media, a green arrow will copy media in to the Event.

Holding option should override copy or reference, changing the icon in the process.

You wouldn't want to do this on a while volume, however, as then every importable file would import in to your event.

You would want to do this if your files are organized in the volume by specific Event(s).

I agree that this process could be better, but it can also do what you need as long as you know what to do.

Sometimes dragging and dropping is the easiest way to relink, you just have to know the caveats.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Jun 5, 2013 at 6:47:42 pm

This doesn't address the issue at all. In your method you still need to drag a specific folder to the Event. Will this method search sub-folders that may be in the folder? FCPX creates a folder called Original Media inside every event folder and sadly cannot find this on it's own.

Regardless of how well your method works for you, FCPX re-link still needs to be able to index a complete volume including folders and subfolders and find and re-link files wherever they may live.

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 5, 2013 at 6:56:59 pm

I don't know how you organize your footage.

Let's say it's in a folder called "footage" and in that folder is a bunch of sub folders.

You can take the "footage" folder, drag it to the appropriate Event icon, and choose, with the option key, to re-alias the media, or reimport the media in to the Event. Either way, the footage will relink.

I understand you are pissed, but you don't seem to be trying to use FCPX for the way it works, you instead are trying to force it to work like FCP7 and failing.

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Jun 5, 2013 at 7:50:36 pm

Like I've said - all my current headaches are this feature film that was handed to me from another Editor who used FCPX and built a complete mess - all I'd like to do is get a clean timeline as ONE Event or Project that leaves all the 50+ Events behind so I can hit space-bar and wait up to 6 seconds to begin playing.

Copied and pasted final timeline into new comp in a new Event - of course all media offline when you re-launch via Event Mgr. This is fine but re-linking is a disaster - even when FCPX found several hundred files when I clicked re-link and came back 3 hours later it was only 23 files in! Sucks...

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 5, 2013 at 8:06:50 pm

Lance.

It's like you aren't even hearing me. Here are the spelled out steps.

If your final timeline is a compound, copy and past it in to a new Project, or add the compound to a new Project and break it apart.

Open the Project Library and choose the final timeline.

Select it and choose to Duplicate Project (command-d)

Choose a location (perhaps a new hard drive) from the drop down menu

Then choose the third option "Duplicate Project + Used Clips"

Use the "All used clips" option.

Type in a new name for the Event.

Here's a picture

Now hit OK:

This will create a new Event and new Project with only the clips you used in the final timeline at the destination of your choosing.

Now, select that new Event in the browser.

Choose File > Organize Event Files.

You'll get something that looks like this:

Watch the background processes and you will see the files being copied over. Once they are done, you can quit FCPX, eject the original drive, and open a cleaned Event and Project.

jeremy

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Jun 5, 2013 at 10:10:21 pm

This post wasn't about moving projects - I did all this weeks ago - it was about making re-linking better. I think it needs MUCH improvement.

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 5, 2013 at 10:27:03 pm

I was responding directly to this statement:

[Lance Bachelder] "Like I've said - all my current headaches are this feature film that was handed to me from another Editor who used FCPX and built a complete mess - all I'd like to do is get a clean timeline as ONE Event or Project that leaves all the 50+ Events behind so I can hit space-bar and wait up to 6 seconds to begin playing."

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Jun 5, 2013 at 7:02:07 pm

Lance, if you do a search for the first file in the list of files your reconnecting/relinking and type it in I think in the spotlight column at the top right (I think) and relink that one file, all files within the list reconnect assuming they're 'near' the file you link to. Right?

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Jun 5, 2013 at 7:44:00 pm

Yes it will re-link all files within a folder - but you must point to that folder. You can't just point to a drive and let it search all ht e folders etc like 7 or Vegas can.

I know there are some workarounds but this is still not acceptable - relink function should be able to drill down as necessary to find all missing files in my opinion.

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director

Return to posts index

Erik Lindahl
on Jun 5, 2013 at 7:55:51 pm

IMO OSX and FCPX with it should have more of an "understanding" of all the files in the system. Spotlight indexes everything so a FCPX project should instantly be able to find a clip based on name and meta-data. At the rare occasion of duplicate clips it could ask what file to use.

I'm quite amazed this hasn't happened. It was one of the first things I thought would happen with the introduction of Spotlight almost 10 years ago.

Adobe products are equally "stupid" in this regard.

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Jun 5, 2013 at 8:07:26 pm

Let's hope something like that gets incorporated into 10.9 "Sex Panther".

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 5, 2013 at 8:11:21 pm

[Erik Lindahl] "IMO OSX and FCPX with it should have more of an "understanding" of all the files in the system. Spotlight indexes everything so a FCPX project should instantly be able to find a clip based on name and meta-data. At the rare occasion of duplicate clips it could ask what file to use. "

Andreas Kiel has utility that will help in this regard:

http://www.spherico.com/filmtools/

Then click on the "myFiles" option.

Return to posts index

Mathieu Ghekiere
on Jun 5, 2013 at 11:37:08 pm

I think relinking in FCPX by re-dragging them in the event is really a quick way, much faster then how it was in 7.

And did I mention that in FCPX, when you change the name of à file, change the name of the folder where it's in, or change the place of where your file is, put it in Another folder, that despite doing all of this, as long as it's on the Same drive your footage was originally, FCPX will relink automatically without you doing anything at all because it finds the file based on deeper metadata. This is great!

Although, you have to be carefull with opening a file you use in FCPX in Another program though. This can change the metadata, and then FCPX can loose connection with the file.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jun 6, 2013 at 2:09:18 am

Actaully the entire relinking process is currently pretty stupid. If this whole app is such a great database, it should just find the files. Period. In Media Composer, I can manually move files from one drive to another and delete the original location - even with the application open - and MC simply rescans the drives and finds the files. No problem.

Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Jun 6, 2013 at 2:11:51 am

[Oliver Peters] "If this whole app is such a great database, it should just find the files. Period."

Very true. Although at least with the current method when it gets the files it actually relinks vs saying it's changed, not relinking, and sending me on my way. Those days were rough.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jun 6, 2013 at 2:22:29 am

Agreed!

And it certainly does re-establish links for drives that are physically swapped (unplugged and replugged).

Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 6, 2013 at 2:45:30 am

[Oliver Peters] "Actaully the entire relinking process is currently pretty stupid. If this whole app is such a great database, it should just find the files. Period. In Media Composer, I can manually move files from one drive to another and delete the original location - even with the application open - and MC simply rescans the drives and finds the files. No problem."

If files are linked, I can move files around the SAN and everything stays linked, I can even change directories, all with fcpx open.

If files are in the Event, they go offline when moved. Put them back and relink. Moving links also takes things offline.

Something has to be in the Event media folders or fcpx has no link to anything.

I don't find it stupid at all. Some limitations, yes, but in many ways its also better than 7. Drag and dropping a folder to relink is really easy.

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Jun 6, 2013 at 2:57:41 am

Don't know what version of FCPX you guys are using but on this current project - NOTHING works! Can't re-link by menu or drag and drop, Duplicating project creates Event with everything linked but Project totally offline. The fun part is when you try to re-link, point to the folder it asks for and it tells you there are no matching files - love that feature!

EVENT:

TIMELINE:

PROJECT:

Just a very frustrating mess that I've never experienced in any other NLE in almost 20 years of doing this stuff..

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Jun 6, 2013 at 2:59:15 am

By the way this was after another "Duplicate" attempt per Jeremy's instructions...

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 6, 2013 at 3:12:53 am

[Lance Bachelder] "By the way this was after another "Duplicate" attempt per Jeremy's instructions..."

Did you organize the media first?

When you single click a project and look at the inspector, what Events does it say are needed?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 6, 2013 at 3:10:50 am

It's hard to tell what's going on from your screen grabs.

I'm sorry someone handed you what is essentially 50 projects and left you to fend for yourself.

Your Project says "missing Event".

You can single click the project, open the inspector, click "modify event references" and point the project at an event that contains the media.

Or load the proper event to your hard drives.

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Jun 6, 2013 at 3:23:28 am

[Lance Bachelder] "The fun part is when you try to re-link, point to the folder it asks for and it tells you there are no matching files - love that feature!"

My guess would be this project was started in an earlier version of X. Maybe in the fall? That's the only time that 'won't relink' issue still pops up.

The painful solution is, re-import the old media, find the starting timecode of the missing clip, go to it on the new clip, and then opt+r to 'replace from start' the clip. It sucks, but it's actually not as painful as it might sound. Although, I wouldn't want to touch that long timeline with it.

Sorry Lance, that really blows.

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Jun 6, 2013 at 6:41:30 am

Thanks for all the help John and Jeremy - yeah this project is a mess and has been really causing huge FCPX doubts for me professionally. I still believe that this should be able to be cleaned up in FCPX and Apple still has a lot of work to do on Media Management - it is so easy to do in 7...

I do have another feature right after this that is nice and neat in four Events {reels) and it appears to be much snappier on the timeline so crossing my fingers for happy editing ahead.

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director

Return to posts index

Scot Walker
on Jun 8, 2013 at 4:49:52 am

Along those lines, I think it's pretty hilarious that Final Cut Pro X doesn't have the functionality of TextEdit in it's file dialog.

The standard OS X file dialog is much more powerful than FCP X's import dialog. The fact that it doesn't have Spotlight or even give me the same sidebar Favorites I have in every other application is a joke. I have a project and I need my client's vector logo and I don't remember where it's located. In every other application (Adobe is guilty of hijacking the file dialog, but at least you can still get the OS X one), I do the import and then start typing in the Spotlight field and it shows up. In FCP X, I have to manually hunt for it.

The workaround is to resize FCP X so that it's not full screen and use a Finder window and then drag it into FCP X as described in this thread. That's pathetic. This is a Pro app?

What's wrong with the standard OS X file dialog? It's so much more powerful than the silly one in FCP X.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]