FORUMS: list search recent posts

Tracktion v4

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dave Gage
Tracktion v4
on Jun 4, 2013 at 8:14:17 pm

http://www.tracktion.com/

I'm not sure anyone here has used Tracktion or even heard it, but this is what I used before Mackie stopped support and I moved on to Logic 8,9.

Evidently, they have come back with v4 for Mac, Windows, and Linux. It was made by Mackie, but now I'm not sure who has it. I mention it because it really has one of the nicest, most intuitive single window interfaces I've come across for an audio or video editing program. That said, I'm sticking with Logic, but if you have an interest in "usability", this design is worth taking a look at. The audio comes in on the left and goes out on the right.

It's cheap and if you use Linux, you might find it handy.

Dave

Return to posts index

Neil Goodman
Re: Tracktion v4
on Jun 4, 2013 at 8:26:00 pm

holy moly. I too jumped in at Traktion 1 and then outa frustration with non develoment and bugs, went back to Logic. Cool to see it coming back. Wonder if i can find my license info.

Neil Goodman: Editor of New Media Production - The Esquire Network - NBC/Uni

Return to posts index

Dave Gage
on Jun 4, 2013 at 9:06:55 pm

[Neil Goodman] " I too jumped in at Traktion 1 and then outa frustration with non develoment and bugs, went back to Logic"

Very Cool! I thought I was alone as a former Tracktion user. I stayed on v.2 as v.3 was so buggy with no known support/fixes from the company coming.

Early on I looked closely at Logic and Pro Tools and didn't like the interface and general usability and went with Tracktion 1. I like to think that some of the interface changes that came with Logic 8 were take from Tracktion. In fact, the Inspector in FCP X is very similar in concept to what Tracktion was doing many years ago with the 1 window interface.

If you do end up trying it out, I'd be curious as to what your thoughts are.

Thanks,
Dave

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on Jun 4, 2013 at 9:31:18 pm

[Dave Gage] "Early on I looked closely at Logic and Pro Tools and didn't like the interface and general usability and went with Tracktion 1."

Love love love Traction! Always felt it was one of the most intuitive and easiest to use DAWs. If you watch the videos on the site, there's one that talks about the influence of Larry Tesler and modeless design. The Traction authors really got it, and it made Traction such a pleasure to work with. I also like that they were into the "Flat" UI aesthetic years before it became a current trend. The complete opposite of the MOTU DP aesthetic!

After years of neglect, I was sad to leave the platform but I couldn't handle the bugs and missing features. Happy to see it's back!

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl

Return to posts index

Dave Gage
on Jun 5, 2013 at 4:48:28 am

[David Lawrence] " I also like that they were into the "Flat" UI aesthetic years before it became a current trend. The complete opposite of the MOTU DP aesthetic!"
Yep, couldn't agree more. I spent a brief time in Digital Performer before Tracktion and then on to Logic. If Apple can make Logic X a bit more like Tracktion and FCP X, it could be pretty cool, especially if they add in the round tripping with FCP.

[David Lawrence] "After years of neglect, I was sad to leave the platform but I couldn't handle the bugs and missing features. Happy to see it's back!"

It's cool to see I wasn't the only one here that used it and had an appreciation for it's workflow. It felt to me like the first DAW that wasn't trying to emulate the analog and hardware world.

Dave

Return to posts index

Neil Goodman
on Jun 5, 2013 at 5:45:15 pm

Yea its great that Jules the original coder is back on board. The way he thought about DAWS was awesome and def ahead of the pack. I hated having to abandon it, but it just never worked right on a mac.

Im so deep in Logic, I doubt id switch back to T anytime soon, unless Apple of course screws the pooch woth Logic X.

Neil Goodman: Editor of New Media Production - The Esquire Network - NBC/Uni

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]