FORUMS: list search recent posts

Migration Strategy Thought

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Petty
Migration Strategy Thought
on Jun 24, 2011 at 5:08:53 pm

It occurred to me this might be a pretty smart thing to...

1. Pull a clean 1TB drive off the shelf...
2. Install Snow Leopard...
3. Install a clean version of everything in FCS 3 and update it through software update
4. Put drive back on shelf and hope I never have to use it.

Then I can go through the drill of using my MacPro's other 4 internal drives... Main (which is nothing but the OS, FCS3 and some other relevant software all of which can be reloaded if necessary)...Project...Scratch...Storage to do some moving around, reformatting and create partitions for keeping a working "drive" for FCP7 and another drive partition for learning/playing with FCPX until it is ready to come out and play (6-12 months?)

Sound like a plan?

MP

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Migration Strategy Thought
on Jun 24, 2011 at 5:21:14 pm

[Mike Petty] "Sound like a plan?"

Sure does to me. Especially the part about the archived & functional FCS 3 hard drive.

You also might want to check out how David Roth Weiss, a gent who knows his FCP stuff, prepared for FCP X plus the new OS just around the corner:
http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/335/2109

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jun 24, 2011 at 5:34:29 pm

You're a little late on that one Mike...

However, the more people repeat the concept and encourage users to use the most aggressive and prudent precautions, the better off we'll all be.

For the record, here's a what I just wrote to a fellow Cow who posted a new question on this topic:

...I have no way presently to test everything at this point.

What I can tell you is that many have not followed my advice, and they have installed FCP X, side by side, right onto their working FCS 3 system drives. And, it does work... for now... However, I predict that we will see major catastrophes developing later once the manufacturers of I/O cards and plugins begin to ship their FCP X drivers etc.

Given that Apple in its infinite wisdom has decided to yank FCS 3 and all, or virtually all, support for the product, any professional with even a hint of good sense, who is not exercising the utmost precaution at this point in terms of system clones, and separate bootable partitions for their old and the new software installations, may well be putting the future of their entire businesses at stake.

Some may question my conclusions and suggest that I'm being overly concerned and overly cautious, but as the wise Mr. Benjamin Franklin wrote: "An ounce of caution is worth a pound of cure."

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

Don't miss my new tutorial: Prepare for a seamless transition to FCP X and OS X Lion
http://library.creativecow.net/weiss_roth_david/FCP-10-MAC-Lion/1

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

Andrew Corneles
on Jun 24, 2011 at 5:45:39 pm

Doesn't AAPL specifically state that it should NOT be installed side by side? I've heard it can't even be open at the same time, which is :(

Return to posts index

Mike Petty
on Jun 24, 2011 at 6:10:35 pm

Not quite sure what you mean by a little late? If I install FCS (FCP7 et al) from the disks, I have inferred from current postings that though overt support has been pulled that software update is still functioning and should bring it up to the current version.

Right?

As far as FCP X...I never plan on having it on any drive with FCP7. As a matter of fact if I can I will keep FCP7 on my current Mac Pro and when the new MacPro's come buy one and use it for FCPX and Lion.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jun 24, 2011 at 6:23:00 pm

[Mike Petty] "Not quite sure what you mean by a little late?"

A little late in the sense that, as Dave LaRonde mentioned, I published a tutorial and article on this a week ago. :)

Your thought process is entirely correct... I wasn't directing the extra material at you, you've already got it... I included that for others seeing your post, because, as I mentioned, the more people who read this message and take precautions, the more who will be ultimately be safe.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

Don't miss my new tutorial: Prepare for a seamless transition to FCP X and OS X Lion

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

Mike Petty
on Jun 24, 2011 at 7:18:04 pm

Thanks for the clarification...

I had actually seen your tutorial and thought it the smartest way to go...This has all been complicated for me by the fact that my FCP 7 has been acting weird lately and I was going to do a clean install just to zero things out. Now I am very hesitant to do so.

Creating the back up drive with Snow Leopard and a clean FCS3 will be a good test to make sure I can in fact reinstall FCS 3/FCP 7 on my main drive.

I'll keep every body posted if things get dodgy.

MP

Return to posts index

Lucas Way
on Jun 24, 2011 at 7:36:09 pm

Hi David.

With all due respect, I found your tutorial a little on the brief side.
You don't actually explain how to create 3 partitions and install the OS on them? Or how to clone an OS install.

I've never had to create more than one boot drive so if you could explain that'd be great.

Also can each partition access the files/folders of an other?

So if I had fileX.mov stores on partition #1 (Lion) could partition#2 (SL) access it?

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jun 25, 2011 at 5:30:27 am

[Lucas Way] "With all due respect, I found your tutorial a little on the brief side."

Lucas, I'm sorry that my tutorial did not answer all of your questions, but as we have all levels of users here on the Cow, it's very difficult to satisfy everyone all the time with just one message. We certainly expect and encourage follow-ups, and if you look, you'll see that I do do my best to try to answer every one of them.

[Lucas Way] "You don't actually explain how to create 3 partitions and install the OS on them? Or how to clone an OS install."

It does appear you may have missed the video portion of my tutorial. I clearly do show the partitioning process in Disk Utility with a scheme for naming the partitions, and then I show the very easy cloning technique and setup using the default settings of Carbon Copy Cloner to create a bootable clone of your current working system drive to partition #1 on the newly partitioned hard drive.

[Lucas Way] "Also can each partition access the files/folders of an other?"

Yes, but don't confuse media files/folders and those of the applications and operating system. Each bootable partition should be considered as a virtual system drive, designed primarily to hold an operating system and applications. Media (audio, video, stills, and animation) should always reside on one or more separate hard drives (or a RAID), for sustained realtime playback without dropping frames.

[Lucas Way] "So if I had fileX.mov stores on partition #1 (Lion) could partition#2 (SL) access it?"

This question is based on a false notion that .mov or Quicktime video files should reside on the bootable system drive partition. As stated in the the answer above, for video editing, media files should always reside on one or more separate hard drives, or a hard drive RAID with multiple drives striped together.

I hope this information and the video tutorial which you may have missed help answer your questions. Be fearless and test out these things for yourself on a clean hard drive. The processes I describe are not destructive to the files on your existing system drive, so you should not be concerned that you will damage files or destroy data on your system when performing these measures. In fact, the process will create a perfect backup of your current system drive, and when you begin to wrap your head around the process you will develop and understanding of ways to protect your computer and to take the fear out of upgrading and updating new applications and operating systems.

Does this help?

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

Lucas Way
on Jun 25, 2011 at 6:17:02 am

I absolutely did not see the video portion, would have helped if I was on my proper browser and not my iPhone, my mistake.

I would never dare store my media files on my boot drive, I work totally externally like all editors with an ounce of sense. I more mean for general use, say I wanted to access a document, personal video file or a music track when Im using the machine in non-work time.
That's good to know I can access the files of the other partition.
Also, I can't see why you couldn't access basic applications if you have access to the other partitions folders/files? I.e. Ones that store nothing in the Library, just the self contained ones like a browser?

I already keep a time machine'd backup of my entire drive so I'm safe to mess about and have 2 OS's, hopefully FCS3 will still be supported in Lion (though from Apples recent treatment of us I doubt it) so I can have 2 Lion partitions, one for FCPX and one for FCP7 and everything else. If not, SL for FCP7 it is.

Return to posts index

Lucas Way
on Jun 25, 2011 at 6:17:19 am

I absolutely did not see the video portion, would have help if I was on my proper browser and not my iPhone.

I would never dare store my media files on my boot drive, I work totally externally like all editors with an ounce of sense. I more mean for general use, say I wanted to access a document or a music track when Im using the machine in non-work time.
That's good to know I can.
Also, I can't see why you couldn't access basic applications if you have access to the other partitions folders/files? I.e. Ones that store nothing in the Library, just the self contained ones like a browser?

I already keep a time machine'd backup of my entire drive so I'm safe to mess about and have 2 OS's, hopefully FCS3 will still be supported in Lion (though from Apples recent treatment of us I doubt it) so I can have 2 Lion partitions, one for FCPX and one for FCP7 and everything else. If not, SL for FCP7 it is.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]