FORUMS: list search recent posts

New Mac Pro rumor - is this a joke?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joseph W. Bourke
New Mac Pro rumor - is this a joke?
on Jun 4, 2013 at 1:09:22 am

A new Mac Pro with dual processor capability, but no ability to change anything under the hood:

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2013/06/new-mac-pro-2013-complete-redesign-rumored...

"No ability to expand internal hardware". Whoo-hoo! Maybe the case is welded shut...

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
Re: New Mac Pro rumor - is this a joke?
on Jun 4, 2013 at 1:21:08 am

If it's true, then it's kind of in line with what many of us expected. The Cube lives!

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 4, 2013 at 1:45:02 am

Only available as a rental for $100/mo and you can upgrade to a version with new GPUs whenever they become available.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jun 4, 2013 at 1:46:17 am

Ladies and gentlemen, he'll be here all week.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jun 4, 2013 at 2:16:22 am

[Craig Seeman] "Only available as a rental for $100/mo and you can upgrade to a version with new GPUs whenever they become available."

I would "subscribe" to a well-equipped workstation at that price. That'd be a great value.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 4, 2013 at 2:25:15 am

Do they offer a loyalty buyout program?

I'd much rather spend 100 times the price to keep dead hardware around for a few more years past its useful life.

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Jun 4, 2013 at 3:54:30 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "Do they offer a loyalty buyout program?

I'd much rather spend 100 times the price to keep dead hardware around for a few more years past its useful life."

Thank you. You have changed the course of my morning. I now believe in humanity again.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 4, 2013 at 3:50:55 am

[Walter Soyka] "I would "subscribe" to a well-equipped workstation at that price. That'd be a great value."

Yes, that would be the justification for a lease business model for that "locked box" design. Replace with the new "company car" every couple of years.

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Jun 4, 2013 at 3:53:36 am

I'm not giving it any merit. Until we get multiple reports with similar specs, I think everyone's speculation is equally dodgy. And considering how relatively few hands have been on this thing, I think Apple's ability to keep things under wraps is substantially higher than the average Apple product.

So getting excited/upset about these rumours is folly.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Jun 4, 2013 at 3:58:31 am

[Marcus Moore] "So getting excited/upset about these rumours is folly."

I'm starting a petition!

-------------------------------------------------------------

~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 4, 2013 at 4:25:01 am

[Marcus Moore] "'m not giving it any merit. Until we get multiple reports with similar specs"

We Want a New Macpro has similar description on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/MacProsPlease?hc_location=timeline

If you've been following my posts you've seen me bash some of the major sites for their predictions and assumptions that never really seem more than guesses and questions. After having been on the phone with Apple myself I now realize the frustration some of these journalists encounter. That being said this post is not a guess or an assumption. I actually have a source or two that has some credibility.

Here is what I've been told about the new Mac Pro.

- It will be heavily reliant on Thunderbolt.
- There will be no internal expandability.
- It will have support for Dual GPU's with three monitor support right out of the box.
- No FW800 or Optical drive
- It will be released in the fall
- It will be a completely new design

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Jun 4, 2013 at 4:26:16 am

[Craig Seeman] "We Want a New Macpro has similar description on Facebook."

My guess is that's the origin of the rumor...

-------------------------------------------------------------

~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 4, 2013 at 4:38:58 am

[Charlie Austin] "My guess is that's the origin of the rumor..."

Likely because the ubergizmo article mentions no sources beyond "rumor" but Facebook claims it has two credible sources.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 4, 2013 at 4:43:12 am

And one of those is ubergizmo?

:)

Return to posts index

James Daugherty
on Jun 4, 2013 at 6:14:06 am

Apple is a cell phone company. We are lucky they don't cancel the entire MacOS. It looks like I will be making another Hacintosh system. If this is so then I will be king of the Hacintoshes in San Diego.

Thunderbolt I/O is externalized PCI at 4X. All the PC motherboards I am using (ASUS, Gigabyte) are using multiple 4 PCI slots at 16X. With the vanguard of the 4K and lossless compression (RED, Black Magic, etc) for everyone the problem will be to get the RAID data rates up to over 800 mbps (megabytes per second) at RAID 5 or Raid 6 not to mention connection to LTO tape. This is going to mean connection to a really good SAS card (ATTO or ?) running at 16X PCI. No slots no SAS. No SAS no 4K. Not to mention where do I put the Red Rocket Card's.

Solid state drives are an expensive alternative that can be used to get to the needed data rates but I think that reliability and cost is still the big question question.

If they build a crippled box with no expansion I will be advising my customers to dump the MACPro's (ALL the MacPro's) and Start going with dual boot Hacintoshes for half the price. I am not going to put up with this crap anymore.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/

James Daugherty
President SDMVPUG.com
San Diego Mac Video Production User Group

Return to posts index

Helge Tjelta
on Jun 4, 2013 at 6:52:49 am

Wait till next week. This is just a rumour.

Calm down!

/Helge, Norway

Helge

Return to posts index

Erik Lindahl
on Jun 4, 2013 at 10:07:59 am

Rumor rage! Let's sack something?! ^^

I think the sadest part of this would be come WWDC and Apple doesn't even mention the MacPro. It's not to far fetched. I think IvyBride-E is aimed at a September 2013 release. Possibly some lower-end chips are available now (E3) but a MacPro-class system would use the more powerful E5 processor.

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Jun 5, 2013 at 2:05:42 am

Well, iMacs were announced in October and weren't available until December/January really. I think Apple stands to loose relatively few sales with a pre announcement vs the goodwill of a announcement and a sale date.

Even if it's not the machine some people want, at least they'll know for sure what they're options are.

Return to posts index

Erik Lindahl
on Jun 5, 2013 at 5:21:46 am

The 2012 iMac release was a fiasco. Announced in October to be released in November - most people had to wait 2 or more months for their systems even when they ordered them after the new year.

Announcing early isn't a bad thing though. You just have to keep your schedule and you shouldn't remove the excisting product from the market beforehand.

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Jun 5, 2013 at 1:13:38 pm

Absolutely it was. I'm just saying Apple has set the precedent. And I think there would be much less impact to taking the existing MacPro off the market for 2-3 months than there was for the much higher volume iMac. I mean, who's buying the existing MacPros at this stage anyway?

Return to posts index

Dennis Radeke
on Jun 4, 2013 at 12:17:50 pm

Hate to rain on your parade, but I did not read dual proc, and I'm betting you won't see it...

Return to posts index

Brandon Cordy
on Jun 4, 2013 at 2:18:19 pm

I figured a new Mac Pro would be something like a smaller box wit ha bunch of Thunderbolt ports around it.

That being said, however, it at least needs to permit the swapping of RAM or it's not going to sell well at all.

Return to posts index

Erik Lindahl
on Jun 4, 2013 at 2:25:50 pm

I'd say the minimum for a "MacPro" replacement is

- Dual CPU options (sadly this means Xeon)
- Up to 64 GB RAM or 128GB (128GB means Xeon)
- At least 3 PCI slots
- User upgradeable HDD (2 slots minimum, I'd say at least 4)
- User upgradeable RAM

As side from that, we'd need "the usual modern I/O:

- 2-4 thunderbolt slots
- 4-6 USB-3
- 1-2 gigabith ethernet
- Wifi + BT as standard

If we as users can live with 1 CPU (6-core) and 64GB of RAM at the high-end we can stick with desktop class CPUs. This would lover the cost of the machine a lot for the end consumer compared to what we've had before. But, if we want dual CPU, more than 64GB RAM and a lot of i/o… Xeon's are what we need and the new E5's are months away (September is the rumor). These systems also generate a lot more heat that an i5 / i7 found in the iMac hence a larger enclosure is recommended or even required.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 4, 2013 at 2:43:33 pm

[Erik Lindahl] "If we as users can live with 1 CPU (6-core) and 64GB of RAM at the high-end we can stick with desktop class CPUs. This would lover the cost of the machine a lot for the end consumer compared to what we've had before. "

I'd imagine Apple might have a 6 core Ivy Bridge base model and that such model might be available sooner than the Dual Core Xeon based model.

[Erik Lindahl] "- At least 3 PCI slots"

Just a personal quibble with that. Since I suspect there must be a GPU on the motherboard, if there were two 16x PCIe slots available, they'd both be free for additional GPUs or other cards that require more than 4x.

Return to posts index

Erik Lindahl
on Jun 4, 2013 at 2:56:23 pm

What Apple should have, they never will, but what they should have is a MacPro desktop that scales from the highend 4- and 6-core i7's all the way up the dual core Xeons. This would also scale RAM from 32GB up to a possible 512GB. It would also place the machines from a $1500 dollar price-tag.

Regarding PCIe-slots that varies a lot from user to user, but having at least one desktop-class, user-upgradeable GPU is the bare minimum on the low-end. I think a lot of users would manage with this and TB + USB-3. On the high-end however we need more, way more.

Return to posts index

Brandon Cordy
on Jun 4, 2013 at 3:08:08 pm

Why doesn't Apple do what I've heard a lot of high-end consumer users ask them to do - introduce a mid-level tower in addition to a Mac Pro?

I've heard the talk about cannibalizing iMac sales...but would that really be the case?

Return to posts index

Erik Lindahl
on Jun 4, 2013 at 3:10:23 pm

For me that's sort of "so what?". If Apple sells 10 iMacs or 10 MacDesktops what's the difference? In theory they could sell more "extras" attached to the MacDesktop.

I however think the idéa Apple has is selling an "experience". The iMac is a nice "experience" in a lot of situations (less so when you actually try to use it as a MacPro).

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Jun 5, 2013 at 2:18:16 am

I don't think it's "a lot" of people asking for the mythical MacMiniTower (xMac)- just a vocal minority. And really, it would just be splitting an increasingly small slice of Apple's computer market. Apple isn't going to have 2 products in this space, and I think there would be way more people upset with a ONLY a xMac available than a more substantial MacPro.

There's no meaningful market for a machine between a high-end iMac and a base model MacPro.

Return to posts index

Erik Lindahl
on Jun 5, 2013 at 5:18:28 am

There most defiantly is. But it's a machine that would be comparable to a windows machine a lot more 1:1. The high-end iMac is a very pricey machine for the hardware you get, the MacPro even more so.

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Jun 5, 2013 at 1:31:13 pm

While I'd agree that the MacPro is probably one of the worst deals in computing today (2 year old hardware at unreduced price); I've yet to see anyone prove that any given iMac is that far out of line with a comparably spec'd PC [not including build your own, which is always cheaper, but it not within everyone's ability to execute or maintain]. $200 to $500 on a multi-thousand dollar machine is usually where I see these comparisons end up. And I'll happily pay that every 2-3 years for OSX, the Mac's build quality, reliability, and resale value.

All I'm saying is that at this stage it makes no sense for Apple to be expanding it's professional offerings, as the use-case for those products continues to shrink. As the chipsets improve, more and more of the market is served very well by what an iMac offers [I'm using one now, and will be until I can evaluate whether the MacPro is worth the investment]. If Apple is going to have one "Pro" desktop, it's not going to be a machine that's half a MacPro. MacPro users want what the MacPro offers [CPU and expandability-wise], otherwise those customers wouldn't be on that product.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 4, 2013 at 2:39:05 pm

There are two issues I'd have with the lack of internal expansion.

Unlike a box with very limited maximum RAM, such as rMBP, a "pro's" desktop RAM needs can grow over time. Today one might need 32GB RAM but a year down the road with new programs and greater system demands, one might need to move to 64GB and beyond. Given that even the MacMini and the top iMac have user expandable RAM, I don't believe "lack of internal expansion" in this case.

GPU needs change over time as well. Perhaps one moves to more advanced Resolve grading or CUDA based applications or newer GPUs come to market better attuned to one's tasks. Changes in GPU can be much more radical than the speed bumps in CPU upgrades. I can't imagine a professional box that doesn't allow for at least if not two GPUs to be replaceable. That has been my thinking on why they'd have one GPU on the mother board (needed for Thunderbolt) and one or two additional 16x PCIe slots.

I had wondered about internal hard drive expansion and while I think there's significant value to multiple internal hard drives, I would at least understand why Apple would consider this be done by Thunderbolt.

Personally my thinking has been if it can be done by Thunderbolt, Apple will force you to do it. What can't be done by Thunderbolt, at this point, is GPU and any card requiring more that 4x speeds. In a market that's already niche, as MacPros are, narrowing that niche further is not a good decision. I just can't see the lack of GPU or RAM upgrades by the professional user as realistic.

I do believe Apple's move to "commodization" would be introducing a design that would push the user into more frequent machine replacement. My thinking is that would be pushed by advancement in Thunderbolt technology though.

Even if Apple dropped the price of this box (or boxes) into the price range of an iMac (making it a bit more financially viable to replace every couple of years), one's GPU needs can change very suddenly so even upgrade cycles can't account for that.

Return to posts index

Erik Lindahl
on Jun 4, 2013 at 2:43:55 pm

IMO a modular approach could in theory work. We just don't have the technology for that yet. Thunderbolt is to slow to fully replace PCIe, given it's adaquate for a lot of things. Even it's main use today - storage - has it's limitations with the standard.

I could see a "MacPro" where you can buy "2015 GPU option" or "2015 network upgrade" or similar. I even think there was a patent found from 2009 or 2010 showing this type of machine. But we're just not there yet and I don't see this being a very practical way of building a "pro" system.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 4, 2013 at 3:40:32 pm

[Erik Lindahl] "Thunderbolt is to slow to fully replace PCIe,"

I'd qualify generalizations like that. It can replace 4x PCIe. It can not replace 8x or 16x PCIe. The number of 8x and 16x cards used by most people ("pros") is limited... but mission critical. I can't see a viable professional box without a couple of 16x PCIe slots. The MacPro is already a niche box. I can't see how narrowing that niche, especially to markets with the deepest pockets, helps sales.

Return to posts index

Erik Lindahl
on Jun 4, 2013 at 3:44:50 pm

I hear you here and I think a lot of people could / would be content with 3 PCIe slots all at 16X. This primarily is for GPU's but also i/o cards (SAS for example), 10GbE. ProTools systems and alike are still as far as I understand it dependent on PCIe. Some higher end setups like Resolve might need more than 3 slots but I think these systems work quite well with a PCIe expansion unit. I'd imagine with PCIe 3.0 at 16X that limitations of such a unit would be even less.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 4, 2013 at 4:02:36 pm

Keep in mind that if one GPU is on the motherboard only one additional 16x slot is needed to have a 2 GPU machine with one being user replaceable. Of course there are situations where you need more than one additional 16x slot. I think an 8x RedRocket might be one but there are others. I'm not sure how many people would need three 16x PCIe slots though given one GPU is on the motherboard.

In other words, Resolve using 2 GPUs, would likely need only one 16x slot since the other GPU is on the motherboard. One might then need one more 16x slot for any other card that might need more than 4x.

Return to posts index

Erik Lindahl
on Jun 4, 2013 at 4:13:59 pm

What GPU would you have on the motherboard? The integrated chips are sadly still quite crap, especially in a workstation class machine. Even Haswell's up-coming GPU's are sniffing on a GTX 650M which is an 18 months old mobile chip. Adding something like a mobile chip might work but I'd imagine you just pay way more for much less GPU power then.

Resolve having two GPU's would need at least 2 16X slots unless you're talking about welding a GTX 780M or similar on the motherboard. To me that seems like a very odd design though, a side from the fact you might be able to produce a relatively fast system with less thermal footprint. I'd still think it would be easier to go the desktop GPU route anyway. The new GTX 780M (not 680MX) is sniffing the 660TI / 670 desktop model depending on clock speeds.

The third slot could be 4X or 8X but my idéa of having all three 16X would open up more possibilities for those that need it.

All this said - I presume avaliable lanes vary depending on plattform.

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on Jun 4, 2013 at 4:21:26 pm

After giving some thought to the "ability to expand internal hardware" mentioned in the article, it makes sense to me that the whole Apple approach to their portable devices has always been "no user serviceable parts inside".

Could this just be the logical extension of that approach, where to get a phone case open you need a special tool, or a small explosive device?

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
on Jun 4, 2013 at 5:09:49 pm

It's really quite simple to open your phone case. You just need a spudger. But I've found that closing it again usually requires a sixteen pound sledgehammer.

Tim

Return to posts index

Jim Giberti
on Jun 4, 2013 at 5:21:26 pm

[TImothy Auld] "It's really quite simple to open your phone case. You just need a spudger. But I've found that closing it again usually requires a sixteen pound sledgehammer.
"

Which apparently is why my reception has been so bad.

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
on Jun 4, 2013 at 5:30:53 pm

Yes, but the emotional satisfaction when that sledge hits the mark is well worth the poor reception.

Tim

Return to posts index

Dan Stewart
on Jun 4, 2013 at 7:07:34 pm

Its the iMac Pro I swear.. No retooling (I hear they're obsessive about that) just add the extra space back in the trunk - ok maybe not the dream A6 coprocessor array/flanders screen - but a slightly deeper case(circa 2010) and a little extra gubbins - no expansion.. its all falling into place.. you'll see.. oh yes you'll ALL see..

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 4, 2013 at 4:38:08 pm

[Erik Lindahl] "What GPU would you have on the motherboard? The integrated chips are sadly still quite crap,"

Motherboard GPUs aren't necessarily "integrated." The nVidia GTX 680MX in the iMac is fairly powerful
I've posted the Barefeats GPU tests pretty regularly. It's competitive with the Radeon 7950 in many tasks for example.
http://barefeats.com/gpu7950.html
and
http://barefeats.com/gpu7950b.html

I don't think it would be odd at all to have a powerful GPU on the motherboard. The differences are fairly small compared to the PCIe variety.

See this as well which compares the 680MX to other GPUs including 680 Mac.
http://barefeats.com/gpu680v2.html
680 Mac wins in some cases but the differences are not that big.

Thunderbolt needs a motherboard socketed GPU so you're not escaping that if you find Thunderbolt useful. I'd prefer a 16x PCIe to add the GPU of my choice but that doesn't undermine having a very good GPU on the motherboard.

Return to posts index

Erik Lindahl
on Jun 4, 2013 at 5:08:22 pm

The 680MX and high-end 700-series are decent cards yes. But you still are using a PCIe 16X slot for them. I even think the 2012 iMac has a PCIe 3.0 slot for the GPU. I'm not sure what you gain by going this route if you're not trying to build a very slim machine.

http://barefeats.com/gpu680v.html

Here we see where the MX suffers badly. I also think the desktop cards relatively perform better in Windows due to immature drivers for these newcomers.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 4, 2013 at 5:27:25 pm

[Erik Lindahl] " I even think the 2012 iMac has a PCIe 3.0 slot for the GPU"

It's on the motherboard. Maybe you're defining "slot" differently than me. A socketed GPU vs a PCIe card. There are no PCIe slots in the iMac. The GPU is on the motherboard.

The examples you post are all games related. They're not relevant to the work I do at least until the software I use makes them relevant. That's why I linked to test results with professional video applications I and others are likely to use.

[Erik Lindahl] "I also think the desktop cards relatively perform better in Windows due to immature drivers for these newcomers."

Which is not relevant to the applications I want to run. I Bootcamp and run Windows 7 on all my recent Macs so if I prefer to run a specific Windows program as I already do, I don't see this as an issue.

Return to posts index

Erik Lindahl
on Jun 4, 2013 at 7:24:06 pm

It depends on why you want a so called "motherboard GPU". I'd be surprised if a mobile chip is cheaper than a desktop chip. I also think as mentioned they will still use a PCIe slot (given you can't replace it) so why not have it user replaceable? The only win is a slimmer system.

http://www.barefeats.com/gpu680v3.html

Look at that. A GTX690 desktop is 2X faster than a 680MX, a 680 desktop is around 50% faster at AE / CUDA rendering.

I respect you don't play games but this is also a place where the "desktop Mac" would fit in. The GTX 680MX iMac is decent but there is huge impact jumping from 1080p to 1440p in performance. Apps can reflect this as well.

Also as far as I understand Barefeats Resolve test isn't optimal for GPU-stressing.

Return to posts index

Erik Lindahl
on Jun 4, 2013 at 7:33:55 pm

Also, GPU-performance on Windows or other systems is highly relevant as you get more perspective on how a chip can perform. For example it pretty clear there is some kind of driver issue if a 680MX beats a 680 desktop in for example Motion. That's clearly driver optimizations done to one chip an not the other.

Return to posts index

Bernard Newnham
on Jun 4, 2013 at 8:46:14 pm

I just read the description in the article that Joseph posted at the top of the thread -

".....is said to support dual GPU, making it capable of supporting three monitors from the get go. There will supposedly be no Firewire 800, optical drive or ability to expand internal hardware. Thunderbolt I/O is expected to be on board....."

Sort of a hobbled desktop PC then, with lots of opportunities for Apple to over-charge on the peripherals. No wonder James Daugherty is throwing his toys out of the pram.

Some suggestions -
Asus Z87 motherboard (or whatever)
Intel Core i7-4770K S1150 3.5GHz 8MB Haswell Quad Core Processor Unlocked (or whatever)
NVidia GeForce GTX 680 - two if you want (or AMD if you prefer)
As much memory as you can afford
As many drives as you want + optical and SSD if you wish
Big monitors, small monitors - take your pick.

Buy tomorrow at your nearest stockists

Forget all this speculation.

Bernie

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
on Jun 4, 2013 at 9:32:18 pm

They've already shot themselves in both feet and both knees. If this rumored MacPro is actually true the temple could be next.

Tim

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Jun 5, 2013 at 3:33:57 am

Or, you know... wait for the machine to ACTUALLY be announced so you know what it really is.

Return to posts index

Ronny Courtens
on Jun 5, 2013 at 5:52:10 am

Agreed. As a professional I always try to base an opinion on personal experience and facts, not on hearsay or rumors. But hey, this is the facebook age after all...

All we know Apple may not be announcing anything at all at WWDC. Will this have any influence on my business? Will our current machines suddenly stop working? Will our clients suddenly stay away? I don't think so. Still it's quite fun to read all this ((-:

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Jun 5, 2013 at 1:33:25 pm

The only thing that bothers me now is that the 4K oriented Thunderbolt2 is not scheduled for later this year. Either that may add weight to a later time-frame for the MacPro launch.

Return to posts index

Erik Lindahl
on Jun 5, 2013 at 1:46:46 pm

Sadly a lot of "tech" is coming later this year. Thunderbolt 2 and Xeon's based on IvyBridge. SATA Express I also think isn't to far off but that's probably 2014 or 2015. Then we have 4K monitors on the horizon also.

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Jun 5, 2013 at 1:55:43 pm

Yup. We're definitely at an inflection point for hardware- but then again not everyone is going to need to be producing for 4K in the near term. Theatrical, yes. TV, any show that wants to have legs in 5 years should at least be considering 4K post. Corporate and commercial have lifespans short enough that 1080 delivery will be fine for at least a few more years.

Until a 4K delivery system hits [when h.265 gains traction] there's not much fire behind the display push. Though it is somewhat satisfying to see the entry price of 4K drop so rapidly in just the last 2 years. By the end of next year, you'll probably be able to get a good-sized 4K display for a couple grand. Much faster than 1080 took to reach reasonable pricing.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 5, 2013 at 3:27:32 pm

"4k" Computer Display on a RetinaMBP: http://www.theverge.com/2013/6/4/4394294/asus-4k-monitor-price-release-date...

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 5, 2013 at 3:35:02 pm

For me though, this points to the concern about the lack of user upgradable GPU. While I don't expect that in a laptop, one certainly may need to upgrade the GPU in the new MacPro if one were to go to a three monitor 4k setup.

Of course I'm only reacting to the rumors on the lack of internal expandability but, more than any other computer component, one's GPU needs may grow significantly year over year. It's not practical to replace what might be a $4000 computer, every year or two, to improve one's GPU.

Return to posts index

Nicholas Zimmerman
on Jun 8, 2013 at 9:26:03 am

What about that 4k Seiko? 1.5K is cheaper than any Flanders screen (although way less accurate.)

--------------------------
Avid MC, PPro CS6, FCP7 - wasting away on my SSD.
I just can't quit X.
--------------------------

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
on Jun 5, 2013 at 5:32:35 pm

[Bernard Newnham] "Some suggestions -
Asus Z87 motherboard (or whatever)
Intel Core i7-4770K S1150 3.5GHz 8MB Haswell Quad Core Processor Unlocked (or whatever)
NVidia GeForce GTX 680 - two if you want (or AMD if you prefer)
As much memory as you can afford
As many drives as you want + optical and SSD if you wish
Big monitors, small monitors - take your pick.
"

Can you run OSX on this system?

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Check out my Mormon.org profile.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]