Thunderbolterizer - Quadro 4000 over Thunderbolt
on Jun 3, 2013 at 3:08:01 pm

Who's going to be the guinea pig?

http://mediapros.co.uk/portfolio-view/thunderbolterizer/

Return to posts index

Bernard Newnham
Re: Thunderbolterizer - Quadro 4000 over Thunderbolt
on Jun 3, 2013 at 4:00:51 pm

Intel just two days ago released the new generation of Core i7 and Xeon processors (Haswell). GigaByte amongst others are releasing boards for the chips - http://uk.gigabyte.com/press-center/news-page.aspx?nid=1218 - but there's no Thunderbolt included. You just plonk your GeForce into the appropriate socket, and your drives into the slots provided. Pick a monitor from the thousands available and connect to DVI or HDMI. Maybe Thunderbolt just isn't going to happen in the big world outside Apple.

As for Quadros - I understand that if you're doing heavy CAD or 3d rendering you might want such things, but I still haven't grasped why someone who is just editing ordinary video, even with several layers in various formats needs such high powered and high price engineering.

Bernie

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 3, 2013 at 6:29:36 pm

So I'd guess I'd be looking at Asus motherboards instead. Asus, they make Windows computers, don't they?

Asus Z87 Motherboards Will Have Thunderbolt Support
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Asus-Thunderbolt-Z87-Haswell,22260.html

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jun 3, 2013 at 6:41:14 pm

[Bernard Newnham] "As for Quadros - I understand that if you're doing heavy CAD or 3d rendering you might want such things, but I still haven't grasped why someone who is just editing ordinary video, even with several layers in various formats needs such high powered and high price engineering."

Quadro supports 10-bit output (on Windows).

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Paul Neumann
on Jun 3, 2013 at 7:35:15 pm

So Dr. Doofenshmirtz got a gig at MediaPros?

Return to posts index

Bernard Newnham
on Jun 3, 2013 at 9:42:34 pm

[Craig Seeman] "So I'd guess I'd be looking at Asus motherboards instead. Asus, they make Windows computers, don't they?"

Asus make all kinds of components, as well as complete computers, and they are quality stuff. I've been using their motherboards and graphics cards for 15 years, and have never been disappointed. And luckily for you, they will soon have a Z87 board which does Thunderbolt - the Z87-DELUXE/DUAL. Not entirely sure how useful that will be though.

There isn't really any such thing as a Windows computer. Windows is just another operating system like OSX or Fedora or Android. Asus make computers and components based around the x86 architecture, just like Foxconn make for Apple. I'm running OSX on one of the other Asus based machines here next to me.

Bernie

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 3, 2013 at 9:52:24 pm

Although I've heard that Asus Hackintosh Thunderbolt isn't plug and play for some reason. I don't think that's the case when running Windows though.

Asus is showing very good support for Thunderbolt on their motherboards and they have a couple very powerful laptops with Thunderbolt as well.

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Jun 4, 2013 at 4:02:09 pm

[Craig Seeman] "Asus is showing very good support for Thunderbolt on their motherboards and they have a couple very powerful laptops with Thunderbolt as well.

"

I just got one of their monitors as well, and so far, I'm quite fond of it.

Return to posts index

Corey Robson
on Jun 8, 2013 at 4:52:56 pm

For anyone wanting to test Thunderbolterizer running 10.8.3 and a Magma Expressbox 3T I've just posted a guide here:

http://www.coreyrobson.com/post/52451664259/thunderbolt-gpu-is-alive-and-mo...

Hope you find it useful.

EDIT: I've added new Cuda-z scores for a few different Nvidia GPUs for comparison.

Corey Robson
DP / DIT
Zeppelin Media
coreyrobson.com

Return to posts index

Stuart Blake Jones
on Jun 28, 2013 at 12:28:10 pm

Hi, Any idea how to get Thunderbolterizer to run with OSX Version 10.8.4. If I run the installer it fails.

Best Regards,

Blake Jones

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]