FORUMS: list search recent posts

Using Final Cut Pro X to edit a documentary for the BBC / FCP.Co

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Dobson
Using Final Cut Pro X to edit a documentary for the BBC / FCP.Co
on May 31, 2013 at 2:54:58 pm

Interesting description of how Nick Watson edited a full length doc for the BBC using FCPX from FCP.Co.

http://www.fcp.co/final-cut-pro/news/1140-using-final-cut-pro-x-to-edit-a-d...

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Using Final Cut Pro X to edit a documentary for the BBC / FCP.Co
on May 31, 2013 at 5:21:52 pm

As more of these have been posted, it's interesting to see how they think through workflows. I think understanding FCPX workflows is probably the most challenging thing for those learning its power. One can know all the "magic buttons" and still be challenged on how to put it all together.

I'd also note that some us reading these might say one thing or another might have been done differently so these workflows are, in many cases, still in the testing phase.

The other pattern emerging as that it seems these workflows tend to be news, doc, reality style programming. It would be interesting to see more narrative stuff. What we're seeing might be an example of where FCPX is making the most "natural" inroads and which areas there may still be some reluctance, given the current feature set.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on May 31, 2013 at 7:13:48 pm

[Craig Seeman] "It would be interesting to see more narrative stuff. What we're seeing might be an example of where FCPX is making the most "natural" inroads and which areas there may still be some reluctance, given the current feature set."

Well, FWIW, I'm cutting Trailers and TV spots in X, which are kind of condensed versions of narrative features. lol

It seems to me that the Event browser organizational abilities are very well suited to features. Although, like all of X, figuring out the most efficient workflow is the key. One giant event? Multiple events organized by scenes? Reels? Shoot days? In my case that's not an issue since I work from relatively finished features. Even if I end up with 3 or 4 different versions of a feature my events generally haven't exceeded 500 or so source clips so I can just have one event per job.

Editorially, all I really need are replace at playhead option and beefed up Roles for better visual timeline organization. A sequence with more than about 15 "lanes" (30 stereo channels) of audio and/or multiple layers of video can get a little difficult to keep track of currently. But the more I cut in X, the more I realize that what's in there now takes care of the majority of things I need. I look forward to more optimization and feature additions/enhancements/polish, but there are no deal killers for me anymore.

The most difficult thing in my world is to try not to do too much crazy stuff that can't be easily reconstructed by an overworked online editor. (I'm looking at you Slice-X!) :-) 3rd party tools for sending out elements are great now, though there is always room for improvement and or new players.

I think the biggest hurdle to X adoption is really the time needed to gain proficiency in the app. In this deadline driven business it's a problem. It can pretty much do everything you need and more, but you do need to figure out how to bend it to your will. :-)

If you're coming from FCP 7, It really is "easier" to hop into Pr, and to a lesser extent MC, than to get used to living with X. For me, it's totally been worth it, though it hasn't been easy by any means.

-------------------------------------------------------------

~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Mark Dobson
on May 31, 2013 at 7:43:03 pm

[Charlie Austin] "I think the biggest hurdle to X adoption is really the time needed to gain proficiency in the app. In this deadline driven business it's a problem. It can pretty much do everything you need and more, but you do need to figure out how to bend it to your will. :-)"

I think that's right, because it does familiar tasks in a very peculiar manner, it's quite a deceptive application to get on top of.

[Craig Seeman] "I'd also note that some us reading these might say one thing or another might have been done differently so these workflows are, in many cases, still in the testing phase."

I don't think there are any 'correct ways' of doing things any more. The key thing is that it handles the media in a very robust manner and it is interesting to see it being used within very demanding broadcast specifications without any real problems.

Return to posts index

alban egger
on May 31, 2013 at 8:05:07 pm

it is interesting to see it being used within very demanding broadcast specifications without any real problems

Well, I delivered my first FCPX edit 2 days after its launch to national television in Austria.
The next was a major 10 days - 3 cams documentary for two major networks here in July 2011. Both networks came back asking what we used to deliver such quality in a very short turnaround time. It was all graded in X.

I got slammed here in adobe-cow for claiming positive results in X in the summer of 11. Now it seems people realize they are getting late on the bandwagon.

It is very robust and was since 10.0.3! Is it perfect? No! But no NLE out there is. They all have weaknesses.

Return to posts index

Mark Dobson
on Jun 1, 2013 at 6:40:41 am

[alban egger] "Well, I delivered my first FCPX edit 2 days after its launch to national television in Austria.
The next was a major 10 days - 3 cams documentary for two major networks here in July 2011. Both networks came back asking what we used to deliver such quality in a very short turnaround time. It was all graded in X."

Yes Alban, a pioneer, I remember your blog about the cycling programmes you created. Very informative.

[alban egger] "I got slammed here in adobe-cow for claiming positive results in X in the summer of 11"

It's only through looking back through this forum to almost 2 years ago that you realise what a huge controversy FCPX caused. It would be interesting to know accurately what decisions FCP7 editors took, how many stayed with FCP7, how many switched to X and how many went over to other NLEs and which ones. And I wonder, with the CC rumpus how many will take another look at it.

For myself it's been a fascinating journey, and initially pretty painful, I switched on day one and haven't been back to edit with FCP7 once although I still use it to ingest files. What interesting to me is looking at how static the market for FCPX training has become although no doubt that will pick up with the next upgrade.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on May 31, 2013 at 8:10:02 pm

[Mark Dobson] "[Charlie Austin] "I think the biggest hurdle to X adoption is really the time needed to gain proficiency in the app. In this deadline driven business it's a problem. It can pretty much do everything you need and more, but you do need to figure out how to bend it to your will. :-)"

I think that's right, because it does familiar tasks in a very peculiar manner, it's quite a deceptive application to get on top of."

Exactly. And honestly, at least in my personal experience, once you become accustomed to these "peculiar" manners, going back to a "traditional" NLE seems peculiar... and frustrating. I suppose I should have said you need to let the app bend you to it's will. ;-) X still occasionally makes me want to tear my hair out, but I think that's true of any NLE to some extent.

-------------------------------------------------------------

~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Paul Neumann
on Jun 1, 2013 at 5:54:58 am

"Took a while but all good" is the phrase he used to describe transcoding 3TB of MXF into ProRes? Bit of an understatement if you ask me. Or did I read that wrong? I only shoot MXF and have found FCPX handles it way less than optimal. If I transcode then it's much better. But I'm not supposed to have to do that right?

I cut 2 jobs in X just this past week. I like it. I use it. Honestly, it's not my favorite. But I own it and like I said I use it and make money with it.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
Alex4D Trim download link please
on Jun 3, 2013 at 4:44:14 am

I’d just like to add that the Alex4D Trim plug-in was another godsend. In X, you can, trim, crop or Ken Burns, but you can’t combine these. This free plug in enables you to crop, AND Ken Burns. I salute you Alex.

I would love this plug-in. Been clicking on every link i can find on his site. What exactly is the address where I can download this plug-in?

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Camcorders: Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV30/40, Sony Z7U, VX2000, PD170; FCP 6 certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
Re: Alex4D Trim download link please
on Jun 3, 2013 at 12:23:29 pm

[Craig Alan] "I’d just like to add that the Alex4D Trim plug-in was another godsend. In X, you can, trim, crop or Ken Burns, but you can’t combine these. This free plug in enables you to crop, AND Ken Burns. I salute you Alex.

I would love this plug-in. Been clicking on every link i can find on his site. What exactly is the address where I can download this plug-in?"

Here it is:

http://alex4d.wordpress.com/2011/09/30/trim-fcpx-effect/

Simon Ubsdell
http://www.tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
Re: Alex4D Trim download link please
on Jun 4, 2013 at 5:51:15 am

Thank you.

I was on this page. I tried clicking on various things. Nothing downloaded.

What do I click on?

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Camcorders: Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV30/40, Sony Z7U, VX2000, PD170; FCP 6 certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]