FORUMS: list search recent posts

Has the Creative Cloud taken all the steam out of here?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Connor
Has the Creative Cloud taken all the steam out of here?
on May 30, 2013 at 4:54:43 pm

It's suddenly gone very quiet on here, is that a good thing?

Steve Connor

There's nothing we can't argue about on the FCPX COW Forum

Return to posts index

John Godwin
Re: Has the Creative Cloud taken all the steam out of here?
on May 30, 2013 at 5:29:19 pm

I think it took all the heat out, so no steam. Gave a new target for spleen venting. And maybe a little perspective.

Best,
John

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on May 30, 2013 at 5:51:26 pm

As I said when it happened, I think we saw a balancing of the scales as it were. It was all "Apples bad and dumb and Adobes amazing and listen to everything I say!" for a while there. And I think the CC announcement just gave everyone a reality check that these are BOTH businesses which means they can't always do everything all of their customers want.

CC7 isn't out yet, and there hasn't been any FCPX "news" for a while, so it doesn't surprise me that things are quiet. I think by the time Adobe's new apps have been released we'll also see another big update to X, so I'm sure there'll be loads to talk about soon enough.

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on May 30, 2013 at 6:13:28 pm

Well the CC folks have their own debate forum now so it's back to FCPX debate - which for me is back on. I'm in the middle of finessing 2 indie features for a distributor - both are FCPX projects - both built from day one as a complete mess and both slower than any project I've ever done in any NLE and I'm using the uber iMac with 32GB of RAM.

I'm really ready for the new Premiere to be released and seriously thinking of never using FCPX again - while there are some cool features in X, there is still so much lacking for what I do which is longform narrative work. I think it's best suited for 5min or less projects where a mess of "Events" won't get in the way....

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director
Downtown Long Beach, California
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1680680/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on May 30, 2013 at 6:18:49 pm

[Lance Bachelder] "I'm really ready for the new Premiere to be released and seriously thinking of never using FCPX again"

Why didn't you use the "old" Premiere, it's still very good!

[Lance Bachelder] " I think it's best suited for 5min or less projects where a mess of "Events" won't get in the way...."

As someone who does a lot of longer projects on FCPX I have to disagree, however I'm not dealing with projects that aren't "built from day one as a complete mess" Although I am on a 2008 MacPro!

Steve Connor

Return to posts index

Brandon Cordy
on May 30, 2013 at 6:31:33 pm

Yes, I think it's key to make sure everything for one project is one a few Events (less than three, even less than one if it can be swung) and properly logged & tagged via metadata before editing begins.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on May 30, 2013 at 7:05:36 pm

[Brandon Cordy] "Yes, I think it's key to make sure everything for one project is one a few Events (less than three, even less than one if it can be swung) and properly logged & tagged via metadata before editing begins."

True for any NLE... hell it's true when cutting on film. I've been in some cutting rooms that looked like an episode of Hoarders. I've seen some FCP 7 projects that looked the same actually. :-)

-------------------------------------------------------------

~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Mark Dobson
on May 30, 2013 at 7:25:07 pm

[Steve Connor] "It's suddenly gone very quiet on here, is that a good thing?"

Well it's always been a 2 horse race really. Whilst Avid is mentioned every now and then it's really been folks debating between Adobe Premiere Pro and FCPX.
That debate seems to have both been moved and splintered into Adobe Subscription vs Adobe Perpetual Licence vs what?

So that leave this forum discussing the nuts and bolts of FCPX together with the more esoteric aspects of NLE. I think things will get busier with the the next upgrade and the launch of a new MacPro.

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on May 30, 2013 at 7:35:39 pm

Agreed. And I think we might see both those things happen in June.

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on May 30, 2013 at 11:40:40 pm

I have used CS6 but find it lacking in some of the day to day edit tools I rely on in other NLE's like moving a clip up or down, sync indicators etc. but it is fast with a CUDA card.

I realize my current show was not built correctly in X - an Event for every sequence makes it so slow - but there's no way to media manage the timeline into a new project to speed things up! Also, having to break apart video and audio every time I want an overlap is tedious...

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on May 30, 2013 at 11:46:50 pm

[Lance Bachelder] " realize my current show was not built correctly in X - an Event for every sequence makes it so slow - but there's no way to media manage the timeline into a new project to speed things up!

I haven't done this on any large scale, maybe 2 or 3 events into 1, but you can combine (merge) events:

http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/fcp_x_merge_events_stone.html

[Lance Bachelder] Also, having to break apart video and audio every time I want an overlap is tedious..."

Highlight clip, CNTRL-S. You can overlap all you want without disconnecting audio. Really the only reason to disconnect audio is if you want to cut it up. If you just need to do J or L cuts, just expand the audio. So you get this:

Primary sync audio is still riding with the pix, and cheated/upcut/non sync dia are connected clips.

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on May 31, 2013 at 9:14:32 am

Sorry I meant "expand" not detach audio. It is a pain to have to do this for every single clip though the magnetic timeline is actually nice on a long form project making it almost impossible to knock things out of sync with picture...

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on May 31, 2013 at 10:53:14 am

Lance, you do know that there is an "expand all" command?

Steve Connor

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 31, 2013 at 11:46:06 am

And beyond expand all, there's an expand all splits that will just expand split edits.

There are times when I do wish that adding a clip to the timeline would automagically expand it.

There's already a command to collapse all so it would be easy to undo if I didn't need it.

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on May 31, 2013 at 3:47:45 pm

I agree - having video and audio "pre" expanded would be nice and then just collapse as necessary. It's an extra step I don't like taking although at least you can expand more than one clip at a time. But maybe this would be too much like every other industry-standard NLE...

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on May 31, 2013 at 5:06:05 pm

[Lance Bachelder] "I agree - having video and audio "pre" expanded would be nice and then just collapse as necessary. It's an extra step I don't like taking although at least you can expand more than one clip at a time. But maybe this would be too much like every other industry-standard NLE..."

LOL... actually, have you sent feedback about this? A little bird told me that all that stuff goes into a spreadsheet of some sort. and if there are enough requests for a useful feature they'll move it up on the list. Unless you want tracks. That ship has sailed. ;-)

Return to posts index

Julian Smith
on May 31, 2013 at 5:49:20 pm

Myself I don't want an editor that is like all other ones.. I'm starting to explore X a bit more, in a small low budget film sort of a way, and am finding it very interesting.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on May 31, 2013 at 5:03:04 pm

[Lance Bachelder] "Sorry I meant "expand" not detach audio. It is a pain to have to do this for every single clip though the magnetic timeline is actually nice on a long form project making it almost impossible to knock things out of sync with picture..."

Gotcha... Sorry for stating the obvious. :-)

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on May 30, 2013 at 9:56:53 pm

the nutters, who were loudly crowing about PPro, appear to have gone bananas again.

Also: Bill Davis wants to get with Catherine Zeta Jones. Is there no end to the man.

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 30, 2013 at 10:47:56 pm

[Aindreas Gallagher] "Is there no end to the man."

Mitt Romney advice animals?

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on May 30, 2013 at 11:11:52 pm

I resemble that insinuation.

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]