FORUMS: list search recent posts

Apple confirms 10 June WWDC 2013 keynote

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Dobson
Apple confirms 10 June WWDC 2013 keynote
on May 28, 2013 at 1:12:23 pm

I've just read that 'Apple confirms 10 June WWDC 2013 keynote.'

So could this be where the new MacPro gets announced or there's news of a new update of FCPX.

I would imagine a lot of Premiere Pro users are now taking a second look at FCPX so the timing would be perfect.

Return to posts index

Bernard Newnham
Re: Apple confirms 10 June WWDC 2013 keynote
on May 28, 2013 at 2:29:09 pm

Perhaps they'll talk about how to pay minimum taxes.

B

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on May 28, 2013 at 2:43:25 pm

Well, WWDC would be the ONLY event at which I could imagine them giving ANY stage time to a MacPro, regardless of new design it has or what technologies are involved. I just don't see them slipping it into an otherwise consumer-focused event in the fall like they have with recent iMac and portable launches. It's market is too specific and narrow.

That said, whether the new MacPro could be available immediately, or an early preview for a launch in the early fall is entirely dependant on what the guts are and what Intel's release schedule for the processors is. I think even if the machine wasn't ready for a few months, they'd be smart to demo it here. They'd be loosing so few sales and it would be a great reversal of last year's disappointment.

As for FCPX. WWDC is not something Apple would spend ANY time on during the keynote. This audience is app developers, not A/V Pros. FCPX got a passing mention and an update at last years WWDC because it was one of the apps that was "Retina ready". So I could see it coming up in the same fashion during a MacPro discussion- as a premier app that really takes advantage of the hardware.

But if there's no mention of FCPX at WWDC, I don't think we're far off from a big new release. After 2 largely maintenance oriented updates- a feature release seems a sure thing. And with releases coming approximately every 3 months, a 10.0.9 [or a 10.1 but I doubt it] in June is certainly plausible.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on May 28, 2013 at 3:10:00 pm

[Marcus Moore] "Well, WWDC would be the ONLY event at which I could imagine them giving ANY stage time to a MacPro, "

It would be mission critical to know about it for hardware developers. Issues such as PCIe3, GPU, Xeon multi processors, Connectivity are all important for developers. Consider also software such as Resolve and the possibility of accessing two (or more) GPUs.

[Marcus Moore] "As for FCPX. WWDC is not something Apple would spend ANY time on during the keynote."

No but some of the underlying technology is important. There may be things that plugin developers and third party program developers need to know. We may not hear about FCPX directly but we might be clued in on potential advances in both the ProApps or, at least, the OS they depend on.

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on May 28, 2013 at 3:27:35 pm

[Craig Seeman] "we might be clued in on potential advances in both the ProApps or, at least, the OS they depend on."

Like OS 10.8.4, or beyond, which should open up more GPUs to we of the Resolve community.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on May 28, 2013 at 4:07:51 pm

[Joseph Owens] "Like OS 10.8.4, or beyond, which should open up more GPUs to we of the Resolve community."

Personally I imagine GPU playing a big role in Apple's updates.
With 10.8.3 it seems GPU support improved a bit. Note that AMD and nVidia have new Mac GPUs selling to the old and small MacPro market. I can't help but think they're anticipating a new MacPro though.

10.8.4 might improve things and that's coming very soon but I'm really interested in any overview of 10.9 and how it relates to GPU technology.

My own hunch is that it's not only going to be interested to Resolve users but I think the next update to FCPX may take advantage of two GPUs as well. It certainly would help drive new MacPro sales (as Resolve would as well).

My reasoning is that FCPX users have been asking for the ability to open multiple scopes and driving those scopes in real time may make significant GPU demands. As a result, my hunch is that will see improvements related to color grading in FCPX at least in relation to scope use in the dual viewers.

This is why I'd actually be a bit surprised if there was no mention of the new MacPro, even if not ready to ship yet, at WWDC.

To put it another way, Apple, as always, wants software to drive hardware sales and, I think they're going to have to provide info to developers relevant to two GPU use.

This brings me back to my own wild speculation. There'll be one GPU socketed into the motherboard and that MacPro, sans other GPUs, will be a server model. They'll be one if not two 16x PCIe3 slots to add a second and maybe even a third GPU. Thus reads my WWDC crystal ball.

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on May 28, 2013 at 4:05:26 pm

Agreed. There's several things we could look for that would affect FCPX development.

Siri API- auto transcription.

CoreData- improvement in the iCloud syncing developers have been complaining about, which could point to multi-user functionality

Mac appStore- introduction of a "upgrade price" option for applications

Multi-Monitor enhancement- allowing for better use of full-screen apps on dual-monitor setups

Return to posts index

Mark Dobson
on May 28, 2013 at 5:00:56 pm

[Marcus Moore] "Mac appStore- introduction of a "upgrade price" option for applications"

Don't give them ideas!

I've enjoyed the free FCPX, Compressor, Motion updates over the last two years and it certainly beats paying a subscription each month.

Seriously though, with almost half a year gone and absolutely no additional news about the new MacPro, the clock is going to start ticking for the promised delivery this year. If I hadn't lost patience and bought an iMac I'd be feeling apprehensive.

[Marcus Moore] "Multi-Monitor enhancement- allowing for better use of full-screen apps on dual-monitor setups"

What do you mean by this Marcus?

FCPX works fine on 2 monitors, although I'd still like the option of individually arranging the windows like we could in FCP7.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on May 28, 2013 at 5:30:17 pm

When you go full screen with any app, it is the only app you can see. Leaving the other screen blank. FCP X is one of a small few exceptions that allows a portion of the app to use the other screen. Other apps allow things like pallets on the other screen. But the big thing I think most would like, is to go full screen with an app on each screen. I like full screen mode. And I like swiping between the apps, but I'd love a way to keep my email on my second screen, and swipe between apps on the main screen, or many different variations of that.

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on May 28, 2013 at 5:32:54 pm

Yup. That's was I was referring to. 9to5mac, who have run a couple of articles on both the OSX and iOS updates, has heard from their sources that dual-monitor support will be improved in 10.9.

Return to posts index

Mark Dobson
on May 28, 2013 at 6:30:23 pm

[Bret Williams] "But the big thing I think most would like, is to go full screen with an app on each screen. I like full screen mode. And I like swiping between the apps, but I'd love a way to keep my email on my second screen, and swipe between apps on the main screen, or many different variations of that."

Yes that would be useful.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 28, 2013 at 11:26:07 pm

10.9 is for the POW - POW - POWER USERS!!!!!! (echo-echo-echo)

A power user, apparently, means having lots of windows/apps open at the same time.

http://9to5mac.com/2013/04/29/apple-to-update-os-x-with-new-power-user-feat...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]