FORUMS: list search recent posts

Bold Statement Warning!

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
craig slattery
Bold Statement Warning!
on May 17, 2013 at 11:03:30 pm

Iam cutting a 1/2hour doco for television. 12 day edit, 18 contributors, actuality, over 700 clips EVERYTHING shot 3 cameras, even the PTCs shot 3 cameras. C300, Canon 5D MKIII, DV25 (stylistic choice of the director) I created the multicam clips for the contributors and the timeline was 7.5 hours long. FCPX handles this with no trouble, amazing!!!! Even more amazing, the crew kindly provided a sync clap at the beginning of each interview, but Camera 1 and 2 buttoned on and off throughout. To make matters worse, because we haven't shot on tape for years, the operator on the DV25 forgot to allow for tape role and missed the clap on every occasion, and course no timecode sync with the 5D. There is no script, it was a last minute commission so the SP told the director to "shoot as much as you can around the central idea and we will craft a story in the edit". "Bold Statement warning" I could ONLY edit this programme in the time scheduled by using FCPX. To create the multicam clips alone, in FCP7 would take days. In FCPX I had all the footage in Multicams in less than 8 hours. I very much doubt you could achieve this in any other NLE.

Return to posts index

John Davidson
Re: Smart Alec Comment Warning!
on May 17, 2013 at 11:48:42 pm

Interesting. What's the monthly rental cost for FCPX again?

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on May 18, 2013 at 3:18:46 am

[John Davidson] "Interesting. What's the monthly rental cost for FCPX again?
"

You are just having too good a time!

Return to posts index

Richard Jacana
on May 20, 2013 at 4:22:21 pm

How dare you say anything positive about FCPx! Moderators!!!

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
Re: Bold Statement Warning!
on May 18, 2013 at 12:03:02 am

Come on Craig.

We all know X is a toy.

plus

We all know that editors don't need databases to organize stuff. Folders and bins are ideal. Functioning databases are WAY overkill.

plus

Multicam is over-rated. Cameras will always be rare and expensive devices and it's totally unreasonable to expect them appear in larger numbers on the average shoot in the future.

plus

X is dumb and silly and incapable of professional work. All the "pro editors" with big important jobs who don't use it say so. All of them.

plus

What's with all this obsessive "metadata" this and "metadata" that stuff? It's complicated and makes my head hurt. I wish tape was still viable. Tape I understood.

plus

Apple is evil and screwed everybody and made them reeeeally mad by dumping FCP-Legacy. What kind of stupid company changes thing so much that virtually everybody gets totally pissed off at them? Really. If you've got the program that everyone believes might be the gateway to the editing promised land - it's really, really, REALLY stupid to change some fundamental part of how it works for your customers so that you really upset everybody. Just ask anyone.

Plus X might "seem" wicked fast and deeply capable to losers. But what do they know. It's never about how easily you can get your work done. Editing is an *art* dammit. And everyone knows that the artist must SUFFER in order to produce art. And that implies the more suffering you do, the BETTER your art is. It's the VanGogh effect. Want to edit a video so sublimely well that people will remember you a century hence? Cover your face with a massive incredibly painfully permenent overalay of the face of Hitler. Then channel that pain and despair into creative juice and watch your billing rate soar into the stratosphere. I bet you get a meme. "My project was edited by "HITLER GUY" - on FCP-X" It's so evil that you must pay to watch it. All the hipsters say so!

(wow, actually I was going to keep ranting since it's Friday and ranting is fun and I'm done with work - but a little voice in my head said that that last paragraph might actually be getting a bit out of hand.. Related to nothing, Amy's Baking Company is in the closest shopping center to our house - so maybe there's something in the air? I'm going to spend the weekend meditating and seeking inner peace.)

Have a great weekend all!

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on May 18, 2013 at 12:55:41 am

Bill. We've given up bashing FCX. We know it is very capable now. Besides, we have Adobe to bash now. FCX? Who cares. I WANT TO OWN MY SOFTWARE, NOT RENT IT!

:)

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on May 18, 2013 at 2:28:42 am

Craig,

It does sound like that given the array of formats and the deadline that FCPX's multicam saved the day.

Bill,

Two questions. 1. How long have you been waiting to unleash that? 2. How did you manage to only rant about changes that most people agree to liking in X? ;)

Shane,

I agree. It's all about beating the red headed step child and Adobe is currently said child. lol

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on May 18, 2013 at 5:00:53 pm

[Andrew Kimery] "2. How did you manage to only rant about changes that most people agree to liking in X? ;)"

Really, about the only thing I don't like about X is that magnetic timeline. But I think that's eventually fixable.

They even fixed the green frames bug which made me alter my "artistic vision" for a project (which was quite a big deal to me!).

Return to posts index

Tony Brittan
on May 18, 2013 at 5:06:21 am

There ya go!

Tony Brittan
Island Shore Productions
Kill Devil Hills, NC

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on May 18, 2013 at 3:20:35 am

[Bill Davis] "Come on Craig.

We all know X is a toy.
"

Come on Bill. You've got to stop pretending that people are still making this argument.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on May 18, 2013 at 5:13:56 pm

[Chris Harlan] "Come on Bill. You've got to stop pretending that people are still making this argument."

Given the first six months here after the X release - can I claim a foolishly and extremely trivialized version of Post Traumatic Shock Syndrome?

Those first six months were difficult here. So forgive me if I bask in a tiny bit of satisfaction knowing that what I argued from the beginning is being at least a little bit born out in the fullness of time.

Still, you're right. It's time to put aside the pains of youth and move forward.

So to all the Ex-X haters who are starting to see glimmers of the light - welcome.

(At least until the tsunami of PPro settles down and you elect to return to grousing about how you simply can't wrap your comfort zone around the magnetic timeline - or when and whether to use compound clips as the central construction unit of everything - or why endless round tripping between the EB and Storylines is the one and only true way to "version" in X because the Project Library is evil personified.)

Those debates will never end. And I'm glad. Because I'm certainly still learning about X, even after all the hours I have behind me!

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on May 18, 2013 at 7:37:21 pm

[Bill Davis] "Those first six months were difficult here. So forgive me if I bask in a tiny bit of satisfaction knowing that what I argued from the beginning is being at least a little bit born out in the fullness of time."

Sure, why not.

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on May 18, 2013 at 9:44:38 pm

[Bill Davis] "plus

We all know that editors don't need databases to organize stuff. Folders and bins are ideal. Functioning databases are WAY overkill."

Not overkill, but not any better than folders and bins, depends on your workflow. Wouldn't help me at all, ymmv.

[Bill Davis] "plus

Multicam is over-rated. Cameras will always be rare and expensive devices and it's totally unreasonable to expect them appear in larger numbers on the average shoot in the future."

This from someone who insisted that 8 camera multicam was the most FCPX would ever need to be able to handle, and who hoped that Apple would never program for more out of fear that it would hurt the performance of X for everyone. My how times have changed.

[Bill Davis] "plus

What's with all this obsessive "metadata" this and "metadata" that stuff? It's complicated and makes my head hurt. I wish tape was still viable. Tape I understood."

Metadata is nice, especially when you can use it throughout a workflow, but nobody pays me for metadata. Tape delivery I get paid for. Which, do you think, has a higher priority for me?

[Bill Davis] "plus

Apple is evil and screwed everybody and made them reeeeally mad by dumping FCP-Legacy. What kind of stupid company changes thing so much that virtually everybody gets totally pissed off at them? Really. If you've got the program that everyone believes might be the gateway to the editing promised land - it's really, really, REALLY stupid to change some fundamental part of how it works for your customers so that you really upset everybody. Just ask anyone."

Only too true. And here I was expecting sarcasm.

[Bill Davis] "It's never about how easily you can get your work done. Editing is an *art* dammit. And everyone knows that the artist must SUFFER in order to produce art. And that implies the more suffering you do, the BETTER your art is. It's the VanGogh effect."

Have you lost your ear Bill, Or just your mind?

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on May 18, 2013 at 3:24:09 am

[craig slattery] " I very much doubt you could achieve this in any other NLE."

This definitely sounds like this is X's forte.

Return to posts index

Dan Stewart
on May 18, 2013 at 2:37:03 pm

I'll take another look at 10.1, now that my 'look into premiere' slots have opened..

BTW Craig saw the long version of your Danny Boyle film - great job.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on May 18, 2013 at 4:29:16 pm

Bill, stand down - the battle's over, a second front's opened up

Steve Connor

There's nothing we can't argue about on the FCPX COW Forum

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on May 18, 2013 at 5:15:55 pm

Dude,

Remember the Japanese fellow discovered on that isolated island still actively engaged in World War II literally decades after everyone else got over it.

Just sayin'

; )

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on May 18, 2013 at 4:59:20 pm

[craig slattery] "To make matters worse, because we haven't shot on tape for years, the operator on the DV25 forgot to allow for tape role and missed the clap on every occasion"

Not to derail or anything, but this made me laugh because it's so true how dumb we must look using the technologies that used to be so in vogue just a handful of years ago. In my world, it seems no one remembers how to ingest P2 footage anymore.

Return to posts index

David Powell
on May 18, 2013 at 7:45:10 pm

Isn't the sync issue something that could be solved in any other NLE using Plural Eyes?

Return to posts index

Paul Neumann
on May 21, 2013 at 6:51:28 pm

I have a new Retina MBP coming this week and hope it runs FCPX better than my current rig (early 2011 15" MBP/2.2 i7/16gig). There's a lot to like in there, but it just chokes on the MXF I feed it.

Return to posts index

Dave Gage
on May 21, 2013 at 9:19:57 pm

[Paul Neumann] " I have a new Retina MBP coming this week and hope it runs FCPX better than my current rig (early 2011 15" MBP/2.2 i7/16gig). There's a lot to like in there, but it just chokes on the MXF I feed it."

Please post back here. I'm curious also if there is much, if any difference.

Thanks,
Dave

Return to posts index

Paul Neumann
on May 26, 2013 at 3:54:32 am

About the same. I'll keep trying. But PPro just rips right through it. I get a little better response at 35 or 25 mbps than I do at 50, but I don't see a reason to dumb down the picture just to get things running smooth. Just my workflow.

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on May 21, 2013 at 9:32:52 pm

Oh man, if Haswell processors come out with updated macbook pros in 2 weeks you're gonna be so mad! Just an FYI, I think you can return a mac within 30 days if they release an update in that window of time.

Return to posts index

Paul Neumann
on May 21, 2013 at 11:36:10 pm

Yeah, but they (The Powers That Be) give me a new box every two years. I didn't ask for it, but I ain't gonna say no. So the current Retina is what's coming. 512 SSD and 16 gig. I won't hear from them again until 2015.

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on May 22, 2013 at 1:12:50 am

[John Davidson] "Oh man, if Haswell processors come out with updated macbook pros in 2 weeks you're gonna be so mad! Just an FYI, I think you can return a mac within 30 days if they release an update in that window of time.
"

Is this something you anticipate? I thought we weren't seeing anything until Fall at the earliest.

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on May 22, 2013 at 1:27:56 am

I originally said mac pro, but then I revised it to say macbook pro. Haswell processors for notebooks are due to be released on June 4th. This would apply to basically all MacBooks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haswell_(microarchitecture)

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on May 22, 2013 at 1:37:20 am

[John Davidson] "I originally said mac pro, but then I revised it to say macbook pro. Haswell processors for notebooks are due to be released on June 4th. This would apply to basically all MacBooks.
"

Naw. I caught you after you made the change. I've been thinking about a MBP, and didn't know this was a possibility. I thought Tim Cook said, "Cool yer jets, y'all." Well, or words to the effect. But I now read there are investor types saying otherwise. What's a dude to do?

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on May 22, 2013 at 9:00:33 pm

[Chris Harlan] "What's a dude to do?"

Abide, dude.....till the week of WWDC :).

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on May 23, 2013 at 12:57:23 am

Will do. The Dude abides.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]