FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP X to Adobe -- No Serial Control Either

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Conlee
FCP X to Adobe -- No Serial Control Either
on Jun 24, 2011 at 3:55:56 pm

Yesterday I fired up Premiere Pro CS5.5 and tried to capture footage via serial control and was alarmed to see that there ISN'T any serial control available in Premiere Pro for Mac! There was serial control in CS4 for PC, so I just assumed it was there.

I just poked around and found this thread:
http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/3/910995

Just an FYI for anybody looking at solutions moving forward, if you need tape control, currently Premiere Pro CS5.5 doesn't seem to have a solution for you either.

Chris Conlee

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
Re: FCP X to Adobe -- No Serial Control Either
on Jun 24, 2011 at 3:58:38 pm

Sure it does. BUT you need to buy a capture card that supports it and it's drivers will put the control functionality in Premiere. AJA products or BM or Matrox products all work with Premiere. Just as you have to do with FCP 7.

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: http://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann

Current DVD:
http://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX - Cinema Displays I have a 22" that I paid 4k for still working. G4 with Kona SD card, and SCSI card.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jun 24, 2011 at 4:10:52 pm

In the old days I used FCP 1.2 to capture BetacamSP with RS-422 control through my DSR-11 or DSR-20 DVCam deck. I'm surprised premiere doesn't have it. I have mxo2 mini installed with premiere 5. I'll have to go check and see if it added serial control. But I have no idea why this would be the responsibility of the capture card manufacturer- unless it's built into the card, which in so many cases it is not since you have to use a keyspan adapter.

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Jun 24, 2011 at 4:30:19 pm

[Chris Conlee] "Yesterday I fired up Premiere Pro CS5.5 and tried to capture footage via serial control and was alarmed to see that there ISN'T any serial control available in Premiere Pro for Mac! "

Yes there is.

Serial control is usually supported by the 3rd party hardware, my PPro has serial control when using tools from Matrox, Aja and BMD.

if you do not have an output card there is not really a need for serial control is there?

gary adcock
Studio37

Post and Production Workflow Consultant
Production and Post Stereographer
Chicago, IL

http://blogs.creativecow.net/24640

Return to posts index

Chris Conlee
on Jun 24, 2011 at 4:54:36 pm

My bad. I have an MXO2 mini and a keyspan adapter, which worked with FCP 7, and I couldn't find any serial control options in PP. And the threads I was finding seemed to indicate that it wasn't available either.

Chris

Return to posts index

Jim Miller
on Jul 19, 2011 at 2:11:31 am

Hi Gary,
I'm evaluating the switch from FCP to Premiere, and I'm trying to figure out this serial control issue. I have the Matrox MXO2 w/Max box. I have succeeded in getting external monitoring to my Flanders monitor from Premiere. The DigiBeta VTR control eludes me though. Could you expand your answer about your success with deck TC control? Is this done within Premiere or external software? Plugins?

Thanks,
Jim Miller

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Jul 19, 2011 at 5:32:16 pm

[Jim Miller] "Could you expand your answer about your success with deck TC control? Is this done within Premiere or external software? Plugins?"

Jim

The MXO/2 line needs to have 3rd party adaptor like Keyspan for USB Serial control if I remember correctly, this is due to the fact those devices do not function like a PCI card- the hardware card allow you to connect directly via 9pin for RS422 control

you then have to make sure that the proper drivers are installed to allow you to see the serial control via the PPro Capture interface.

You should ask in the Matrox and/ or PPro forums to make sure I got it correct.

gary adcock
Studio37

Post and Production Workflow Consultant
Production and Post Stereographer
Chicago, IL

http://blogs.creativecow.net/24640

Return to posts index

Jim Miller
on Jul 20, 2011 at 3:43:49 am

Gary,
Thanks for the reply. The MXO2 does have a RS422 9-pin in the back of the unit. This is what has worked great with FCP7. It's good to know that the PP Capture Interface will support remote control of professional decks. It sounds like I need to figure out the driver situation, presumably Matrox drivers to go within PP.

Thanks again. BTW - I was sorry that I didn't get a chance to meet you at this past February's Editors Retreat.

Jim Miller
Falls Church, VA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]