FORUMS: list search recent posts

The petition to end the "cloud only" model is up to 8000 signatures now

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg Andonian
The petition to end the "cloud only" model is up to 8000 signatures now
on May 12, 2013 at 3:04:10 am

As of right now- 8:00 p.m. Pacific time on May 11- the petition to end the "Subscription-only" cloud model has over 8000 signatures on it.

http://www.change.org/petitions/adobe-systems-incorporated-eliminate-the-ma...

Of course, that's a small number compared to the 500,000 people who are supposedly on Creative Cloud and loving it- but the fact that it got to 8000 in only 5 days is impressive nonetheless...

Return to posts index

Ricardo Marty
Re: The petition to end the "cloud only" model is up to 8000 signatures now
on May 12, 2013 at 1:58:17 pm

I read in a cne article that adobe had 8.5 million cs registered users and 4 million individual app usera, vs 479k cloud users. why risk all for just 479k?

RM

Return to posts index

andy lewis
on May 12, 2013 at 3:11:53 pm

A lot of professionals who are complaining about this are going to be joining the cloud anyway - myself included, at least for this year. I won't bore you with the reasons why, but I really have no choice.

Adobe must have decided (with good reason) that their position is strong at the moment and that even a lot of very unhappy customers will still end up paying the tithe. Perhaps they also figured that their strong position in the industry could be threatened at any moment - so better lock people in now.

Anyone working in either print/photography or editing/graphics (arguably) needs access to adobe software no matter how terrible the terms are. Maybe the Adobe CEO's nightmare scenario was waiting a year to force everyone onto subscription to find that 12 months have changed the playing field and Adobe software is much easier to ignore.

Imagine if this year:

1. FCPX 10.1 turns out to be killer and (crucially) Apple brings out a stunning update to Motion.

2. The 90% of photoshop users who don't really need photoshop suddenly find an alternative - Pixelmator? Photoshop is surely vulnerable given how ugly and unpleasant to use it is.

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on May 12, 2013 at 4:49:22 pm

[andy lewis] "The 90% of photoshop users who don't really need photoshop suddenly find an alternative "

adobe hits back with a strong PR push.

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Jim Giberti
on May 12, 2013 at 5:53:25 pm

Nearly spewed coffee at pre-stroked text, Aindreas.

Return to posts index

Greg Andonian
on May 12, 2013 at 8:41:44 pm

[Aindreas Gallagher] adobe hits back with a strong PR push.

Oh, MAN- that was great! :D

"Even CIRCLES are more round than they were in CS6"

HAHAHA!!!

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on May 12, 2013 at 4:49:41 pm

So Andy - what is it that you find "ugly and unpleasant" about Photoshop? I've been a user since v3.0, and, for what I use it for, as an adjunct to video production, photo retouching, and graphic design, I find it to be easy to use, quick to navigate, and generally a pleasant experience. Just curious...

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

andy lewis
on May 12, 2013 at 5:25:47 pm

Ha ha. I knew the second I posted that someone would take issue with that part. It is a very unfair summary of Photoshop. Photoshop is a beast in both a positive and negative sense. It's deeply powerful and flexible and also feels (to me) like a bloated mess. This is possibly inevitable with software that does so many different jobs. I can't blame Adobe for that, particularly as the software experience I'd compare it to is Lightroom which is beautifully optimised for one workflow and also of course, made by Adobe.

The point still stands though, that Photoshop and After Effects are currently considered pretty much essential in various fields - and that could change. I'll be checking out Pixelmator this year and I'll also be on the lookout for an AE replacement to jump into. I actually like Motion but for all we know Apple might have decided to not develop it further.

Return to posts index

juan prado
on May 12, 2013 at 6:27:01 pm

I actually like Motion but for all we know Apple might have decided to not develop it further.
Are you serious?

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on May 12, 2013 at 7:09:27 pm

Andy -

I didn't "take issue" with anything you said - I asked you what you thought. Wow - who's touchy here?

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media

Return to posts index

andy lewis
on May 12, 2013 at 7:13:56 pm

Not touchy, I'm fine. The "Ha ha" was laughing at myself.

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on May 12, 2013 at 7:37:05 pm

Oh...sorry. I think maybe some of what you think of as bloat is the wealth of features which are targeted toward the print industry. I use Photoshop mostly in conjunction with After Effects, and I'd have to say I probably don't use more than ten percent of the feature set.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media

Return to posts index

Dan Stewart
on May 12, 2013 at 6:44:38 pm

[andy lewis] "Perhaps they also figured that their strong position in the industry could be threatened at any moment - so better lock people in now."

I think that's right. How much further can they go with this software? I think they see the end of the road coming in a few years (barring incremental improvements that PR can't use) and this is the account departments solution..

Return to posts index

Jim Giberti
on May 13, 2013 at 5:34:35 am

In that case, I guess I'd prefer their energies go into a new paradigm in creative rather than in billing.

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
on May 13, 2013 at 5:20:21 pm

That's what it is, Jim. A new paradigm in creative billing.

Tim

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on May 13, 2013 at 5:24:26 pm

[TImothy Auld] "That's what it is, Jim. A new paradigm in creative billing.
"

Magnetic billing, sticks on you forever

Steve Connor

There's nothing we can't argue about on the FCPX COW Forum

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on May 13, 2013 at 7:56:04 pm

[Steve Connor] "Magnetic billing, sticks on you forever"

LOL! +1

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on May 13, 2013 at 10:08:04 pm

[Steve Connor] "[TImothy Auld] "That's what it is, Jim. A new paradigm in creative billing.
"

Magnetic billing, sticks on you forever
"

Actually, I think the problem is that it doesn't stick on you forever, and might possibly release at exactly the moment you are least likely to want it to.

Return to posts index

Brandon Cordy
on May 13, 2013 at 5:54:29 am

I like Photoshop and After Effects, but there's still plenty more that could be done to improve them.

Photoshop, for example, could benefit from having more filters that are CMYK compatible (or simply CMYK alternatives of each filter). Auto-save is definitely an idea as well.

Moreover (especially as concerns the video products), industry video and film standards always change, and those products will have to keep up with that.

Return to posts index

Dan Stewart
on May 13, 2013 at 4:28:06 pm

Agreed but from a marketing POV I'm guessing 4k to 8k is going to be less of a draw than the previous steps and 'More filters CYMK compatible! Only $6000 over 5 years!!' might not do well.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]